APC Forum

Aerial Fountains

weknowpyro

This was an idea my friend came up with and looks amazing when it works. First thing i will say is that these are not that easy to get right, it took us a whole day just to get the timing correct. Firstly we found our selves a 1/2 " mortar, we then rolled a tube and drilled to nozzles in the dowel, one nozzle we covered with tape and then glued into the bottom, from the top we then added a simple bp and AL fountain mix and rammed it gently we then glued in the last end cap and added fuse to the top and bottom nozzle (removing the tape from the bottom first). We then added lift to our mortar and had the fuse coming a small hole in the side. We then added the fountain into the mortar with the top fuse poking out this way we could join the mortar fuse with the fountains fuse using quickmatch. What happens is the fountains fuse will light and hopefully just start to spurt when the quick mtach hits the lift causing it to fly in the air with it showering sparks everywhere once the second fuse has caught after half a second the fountain will then start to spin vertically into the sky.

If you have already seen a firework using the same princple i apolagise.

Here's a drawing i did in class a couple of days back. Sorry about the quality. I should have a video soon of one of these.

post-4-1145212756_thumb.jpg

This is known as a serpent. They are not however usually double fused. There is really no reason to have two nozzles. One nozzle will result in a true serpent, where it flys around. If you want it to spin, try adding a side nozzle (spinner). What you have is kind of a mix between a serpent and a pillbox star.

Try to get a video of it if you can. I'd like to see how it looks.

So it actually burns from both ends due to the double nozzle? are the holes centered or off centered for the spin? It seems to me like a double end burning pillbox star using a flitter or charcoal streamer comp. either way they probably look amazing. so let us know how they go.

I am going to be making them soon problem is im low on chemicals so it will be a while till i get a vid but will let u no when i do.The nozzles are centered.

I would think the double nozzles would give a bigger spread, which would be nice.

All pillbox stars are, or at least should be, double end burning.

It has two nozzles i.e. one at each end so that it spins vertically along its axis. this the makes a really cool circle effect of sparks in the sky as it spins around.

I've shot ground blooms out of a mortar before, its interesting. Having sparks would be a much better effect though.

^^Everything is more fun with a mortar! :ph34r: Seriously though could it be possible that if you have a single nozzle fountain shout out that it could produce enough thrust (or a crack in the nozzle to create an angled thrust) to destabelize it's path and hit someone in the croud. It seems rather unlikely, but just curious.

I doubt it myself that a fountain could produce that much thrust to rocket into people. espically with no core.

^^Everything is more fun with a mortar! :ph34r: Seriously though could it be possible that if you have a single nozzle fountain shout out that it could produce enough thrust (or a crack in the nozzle to create an angled thrust) to destabelize it's path and hit someone in the croud. It seems rather unlikely, but just curious.

It could, but there is a reason why fireworks should not be shot near people. I'd imagine that commercial serpets have a core. They burn pretty fast, and have good thrust.