APC Forum

problem with pop glitter stars

Karlos

Hallo. I read in this forum about pop glitter formula in the same time, when I wanted find a special effect from video. I found him.

Really, magical pop glitter formula must be binding with NC paste, because NC promote louder effect.

Problem: After a week, look pumped stars like this: http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/3/8/15...lim_5b2a0ea.jpg

Magnalium particles are changed in white structures, stars are brittle. No water, no high humidity.

I thought that this composition have good stability. This is only " glitter nitrate type formula", maybe any chemical don´t like NC.

After a week, the same composition with dextrine look without changes. No problem, but effect is poor, NC better.

Sorry, poor english, .....:-)

Potassium Nitrate 44.88

Sulfur 14.28

Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 14

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 10.5

Charcoal Airfloat 8.84

Copper(II) Oxide, black 4.5

Dextrin 3

Thank you, Karlos, Czech Republic.

Karlos what type of NC are you using and what percent solution 10% or 15% it could be your NC was to low of a percent solution to bind them properly.

• 3 months later...
jadesource: I use nitrocelulose glue ´Kanagom´ with 24% NC. I adding acetone to ending cca 8 % solution, but the magnalium particlec are changed in whitish structures and stronghold of tablet is break=(brittle). This symptoms appears after one week in dry atmosphere (cca 18 - 24°C). Composition with dextrin and 50% alcohol work well, but effect in not so intensiv like with the nitrocelulose.

Karlos: If you can get it, try single base smokeless gunpowder. I don't know if it can be obtained where you live. It's commonly sold in north america for reloading ammunition. Buy the fastest single base powder they sell, or if you can't tell the difference, just buy a single base powder. It must be a reaction between some adulturant in the glue and the comp. NC glue *can't* be all NC, it wouldn't make a very good (strong) glue.

Hallo. I read in this forum about pop glitter formula in the same time, when I wanted find a special effect from video. I found him.

Really, magical pop glitter formula must be binding with NC paste, because NC promote louder effect.

Problem: After a week, look pumped stars like this: http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/3/8/15...lim_5b2a0ea.jpg

Magnalium particles are changed in white structures, stars are brittle. No water, no high humidity.

I thought that this composition have good stability. This is only " glitter nitrate type formula", maybe any chemical don´t like NC.

After a week, the same composition with dextrine look without changes. No problem, but effect is poor, NC better.

Sorry, poor english, .....:-)

Potassium Nitrate 44.88

Sulfur 14.28

Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 14

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 10.5

Charcoal Airfloat 8.84

Copper(II) Oxide, black 4.5

Dextrin 3

Thank you, Karlos, Czech Republic.

Karlos another trick you can use is if you use dextrin with this formula only use about 20 or 30% alcohol with your water at most. But the real trick is to make a couple of small batches and test with your star gun add 2.5 % more sulfer per batch until you get the water formula to burn as you would like . The funny thing with this formula is a slight variation in chemicals makes a huge differance. i made it one year worked great I tried the next with differant chemicals didnt look anything like the first one. But one of the guys on passfire had a similer problem he fixed it with the sulfer you could do it also with the antimony trisulfide but it would cost a lot more. Its the sulfide balance in the mixture that causes the problem i pursonally like the water formula better at least it was easier for me to dial in properly. You see I like the burn when you get the big blinking flashes that almost look like a strobe star but not quite