APC Forum

Stupid Question.

Senz

It shouldn't if you make the shell correctly and don't have an unreasonable amount of and/or unstable flash powder. It doesn't sound like you are ready to be dealing with flash salutes anyway.

Your caution is well advised. A salute shell is simply a shell full of flash! However the flash is chosen to stability and the lift is chosen for smoothness of lift.

Don't try it till you have lots of experience, and plenty of space to make bangs!

I have flash experience, but my friend just started with pyro, and he wanted to do it. Can you recommend a comp for this?

Sawdust and sand? Beer fart for a lift. Careful..it's illegal to drink under 21, or while in control of a motor vehicle. I have experience too.

Standard 70/30 Potassium perchlorate/Aluminium flash is used regularly for aerial shells, often with sensitizing titanium added. 70/30 is not as sensitive as some people make out, but the consequences of a mistake are severe, death, or arguably worse, loss of limbs or paralysis. As such is is good to be cautious. Magnesium, Chlorate, Permanganate and Sulfur flashes often are worthy of the worst reputations of all flash powders. and are certainly not recommended to be made, let alone fired out of tubes.

Anyway, 70/30 flash is perfectly able to withstand the shock of lift, and no gentle lifting should be required. What is required is that the shell is strong and pedantically sealed to prevent it igniting in or just out of the mortar due to the shell casing failing. Round shells are less likely to flowerpot, and I recommend that they are used in preference to canister shells with flash unless you have very reliable cans.

(sigh) Damned near EVERYONE who ever enters into the brotherhood of the flame wanted to go too far too fast and make one king-hell boom like no one else ever did. This is NOT a good plan. If you're asking what flash comp to use that will survive lift, I've gotta tell ya, you need to go slow, do SMALL tests yourself, understand the very real dangers that you're dealing with, and DON'T USE FLASH! If you're looking to make an areal salute, try BP and good containment, then move up to something more energetic such as whistle, but making a shell full of ANY kind of flash unless you're VERY experienced is going to end badly. Oh, I know, that won't happen to you, but remember that everyone who ever went to the emergency room with a couple of fingers in a cooler was dead-sure that it wouldn't happen to him either.

The thing is that im really fucking careful, even when making larger amounts of BP. ive made 50 grams of flash before. i did it naked with gloves and face mask on. (anti static ive seen pics of kids playing with flash)

Damn, that's a picture! It's good to be careful, but it's also worth while to work up with small quantities and not assume that safe ratios scale up. I know that I'm being overly cautious, but I can still count to 10 on my fingers, or eleven if I'm "naked with gloves and face mask on"....... :P

I can still count to 10 on my fingers, or eleven if I'm "naked with gloves and face mask on"....... :P

That's damned funny right there... now...10.5 would have been better but... ;{)

(sigh) Damned near EVERYONE who ever enters into the brotherhood of the flame wanted to go too far too fast and make one king-hell boom like no one else ever did. This is NOT a good plan.

Ah ha ha ha hilarious XD, Great way of puting it hst.

I hate to recommend any salute or flash comp but there is one that is the safest in my opinion and those of you that know what I'm talking about know what some use it for. I've my two different kinds. I've made it with 2 micron and 25 micron Al. Can anyone guess it?

Some use it to light thermite. The 25 micron is no energetic at all un-contained and is in my opinion the safest. The 2 micron is very energetic in all cases. Made a salute and it was a low thud. I won't give out the comp or the name if the mods or admins don't approve.

If the mods or admins don't know what it is either then PM me and if you don't like this post delete it. I'm trying to be as safe as possible b/c I know how much flash is looked down upon.

If you want a aerial salute use BP or meal coated rice hulls. Works every time.

The fact that you're having the argument with your friend and putting forth the argument that you noted in the first post, proves you have no business working with flash yet. You're trying to run before you learn to walk, and that's a BIG mistake. Potentially a fatal one.

You claim that "you have experience with flash". How much. One batch? Two? That's not experience. Not by a long shot. You need to start with the basics, and it's obvious you have't got that part down yet. And hst45 is correct in his assessment.

Discussion of Flash is to be done in a mature and responsible manner, and so far Ive seen little of either in this thread. If it gets any more stupid, it's getting locked.

The thought is appreciated. If you wish to donate to APC, please go to this thread and follow the instructions carefully.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2698

Please note that donations are strictly voluntary. Donating will get you only more storage space in a few areas, and a Donator Group Tag (once I can find a suitable one that isn't garish and distracting). There are no special areas that Donators get access to, nor any special priveleges with respect to the rules.

Thank you!

EDIT: OK, I deleted your reply as requested.

Edited by TheSidewinder
User requested deletion of a reply

i meant the full thread.

Perhaps someone may learn something from it tho. Altho I admit I deleted my reply, as it was pretty useless. I apologize for that.

For what it's worth, I am able to see your deleted posts as well. One discussion is certainly not going to kill off any chance.

LOL it took a lot of discussion and still am trying to redeem myself.

• 7 months later...

-_- hi, i've an stupid question too:

Can I mix blesers AP blue safely with titanium for a kind of silver tail?

Is it chemically stable?

will it overrule the blue collor too much or is it just a matter of concentration (like 2%)?

-_- hi, i've an stupid question too:

Can I mix blesers AP blue safely with titanium for a kind of silver tail?

Is it chemically stable?

will it overrule the blue collor too much or is it just a matter of concentration (like 2%)?

I am unaware of any chemical incompatabilities... so wait for that call... but silver tail? Ti is BRIGHT white... it'll prolly wash out any blue you can come up with... I mean BRIGHT!

That issue is usually solved by making cavety comets and filling them with streamer composition, but that is beyond the scope of BurningRNX I think. It's really interesting to have a colored star with a glitter tail though.

That issue is usually solved by making cavety comets and filling them with streamer composition, but that is beyond the scope of BurningRNX I think. It's really interesting to have a colored star with a glitter tail though.

" That is beyond the scope of BurningRNX i think ",

you've gotta be joking !!.... that is his first post, and a legitimate question, and you slander him like that... i havn;t been here long but long enough to see the crap that went down with Ralph.. " even after he said he has problems with dyslexia, and this crap too....

this isn't your fun box on your computer screen " this is the world stage for APC....you need a good lesson in edicut.and if your ever down my local, i'de be happy to teach you some.

BurningRDX, Ritchie is right on, blue isn't a good colour choice for adding Ti to, at best, blues are hard to obtain a deep colour with,

a nice red or green will work fine with a 2--->5 % Ti addition for a bright metalic tail, but you will find unless you are using HCBs' and i'm confident you are not, Titanium will wash your blues away,... if you have have a nice blue stick with it or do a changing relay Ti tail to a blue core,, then you can have both

" That is beyond the scope of BurningRNX i think ",

you've gotta be joking !!.... that is his first post, and a legitimate question, and you slander him like that... i

I dunno... to me, here he IS posting in the newbie section, and a cavity comet ain't all that easy. Dunno if it was a slander. Or, maybe he knows this for a fact?

Eh, back to topic... the changing thing would work too... cool effect.

At least it wasn't meant as a slander. If I did hurt someones feelings, I excuse for that. I think I misinterpretated the meaning of "beyond the scope" or so?