APC Forum

A sneak peek at what I've been working on

TheSidewinder

First, let me preface this by saying that I still have a **LOT** of work to do on it, but here is a skin I've been working on. It's actually the WWW Skin that's in place here, but edited by me to try and get back something we lost. It won't be a "copy", but I think it *will* be a nice replacement when I'm done.

That said, here's a screenshot of the main page.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

new_red_skin.JPG

EDIT: OK, slight changes made. Still working on it. With some new work I managed to land, it may take a while.

Edited by TheSidewinder
New Screenshot

No comments, eh?

Hmm...

Well, how about a sneak peek at the Calendar.

new_red_skin_calendar.JPG

Oh, and I just noticed the dates were wrong on the PGI. I've adjusted them in the Calendar here.

Alright, I'll make a comment. ^_^

Nice work there, I like the design + colours so far.

One thing which I would say could be improve is the colour on the tabs (The places like where you options are "My Albums, My Controls" etc. and the main headings for the board sections. I just think the red might be a little too bright. That's just my opinion.. Everyone else's is different, but I just think the "blood red" might be a little too bright. Possible to get a slighter lighter shade? I can't really remember the colours of the old board, my memory is terrible.

But it wouldn't matter either way, it looks good so far.

Keep up the good standard of work Sidewinder.

Cheers,

Gunzway.

Edited by Gunzway

Yeah, that section background IS a bit bright.

It's a graphic tile, so I have to use Photochop to alter it. And it's misbehaving on my main PC, so it's something I'll fix later.

Meantime... Thanks.

Yeah, that section background IS a bit bright.

It's a graphic tile, so I have to use Photochop to alter it. And it's misbehaving on my main PC, so it's something I'll fix later.

Meantime... Thanks.

Well, cool- ya figgered out the colors! Hmm I don't suppose a "template" could be made to allow a custom setup color scheme? Like you have nothing else to do...LOL!

Good work, Sir!

Never liked red I thought it was to aggersive but we're not here to look at the pretty colors. I like the ideas and how well its going. I still would like the Bohegeha or however you spell it. That was my favorite skin. Don't know where it is though.

• 1 month later...

Why cant I see the pic?

EDIT: NVM I needed to have atleast one post...lol

Edited by JS92

Yep, we needed to shut off the spammers and that's one of the restrictions put in place.

Any member who makes at least one reply to a post, will automatically be moved to the Full Member group and have access to the Downloads, Gallery, etc. Until then, they and Guests can only read the topics.

• 3 weeks later...
So....when can we use it? This was originally posted in August and it looked pretty much done. Any reason why it's not ready yet?

It's not ready yet because I got a job. :P

And the bills have to be paid before I spend any more time on it. Wish I was independently wealthy. But if you wish in one hand and shit in the other guess which one fills up first?

The actual skin part is nearly ready, but I still have to redo ALL the graphic bits since they were made with the original color scheme in mind and look horrid as they stand.

With luck this will be done before 2009 rolls around.

Of course, anyone is welcome to submit their own skins if they're tired of waiting for me to finish this one...... ;)

I dont post here to much but am grateful what has been done so far. Although I am pretty new to the pyro part of things I have been making my own rockets for 8 years now. There is so much to learn I would rather read and learn for now. So what Im trying to say without all the BS is take all the time you need, I'll take quality over quanity anytime. Thank You and keep up the excellent work Brian

Sidewinder what happened to that skin I sent you a link too? Is that one possible to put up for use?

But the page you got going is looking really great. I too think that the title bars are a bit too birght. Anyone have a screen shot of the old page to compare it too?

Sidewinder what happened to that skin I sent you a link too? Is that one possible to put up for use?

Ummm...... sorry, having a senior moment here. What skin? I have no PM's from you, I just checked. Was it in another post?

Mumbles I didn't find any cached pages of the previously used version. I found a page of the very old forum and several pages of the new stlye we have now. I did find a sight with a screen shot of the site, but the pic was really small and hard to make out.

Sidewinder, it was in the 2 skins, 4 graphics thread. I think I PM you about seeing the post but I also have no record of it. Here is the link to the sight with the skin:

http://www.gpf-design.com/download/file.php?id=40

Hmm... that skin doesn't ring a bell. But I'll download it and check it out.

It has to contain support for Downloads and Gallery at a minimum before I can install it here (and from a quick read it doesn't appear that it's writen to include it). But I'll definitely give it the once over.

Thanks!

@psyco:

OK, I installed the skin and checked it out. It won't work, unfortunately. There are no button graphics at all for the Downloads and Gallery. If anyone feels like tackling the creation of all the .GIF files necessary I'll install it. But until then, this will have to go on my list of things to do. And at the bottom of the list, unfortunately.

All right, thats ok, it was worth a try. If I knew more about what needed to be done and I could do it I would surely help, but unfortunately I dont. That sight had a bunch of skins like that, most of the bright color range and professional look. Some team of guys made a bunch of them, there was about 1 or 2 I seen that was submitted buy another person.

• 8 months later...
Just wondering what happened to the "old look" you were working on, Sidewinder? It looked like it was coming along pretty good. Is it close?

I'm sorry to say it, but I had to abandon the project. I simply had no time.

Another reason is that IPBoard 3.0 was in development, and 3.0 "Final" has now been released.

While we aren't going to upgrade APC until we're satisfied it's stable enough for us, it *IS* coming down the road. And *NO* skin from the 2.3 series (which we run here) will be compatible with the new 3.0 series.

However, the skinning community has already been at work, since I'm told that skinning the new version is both easier AND more configurable.

Within a few weeks IPS is going to release at least one skin, to license holders, that is the winner of a company-sponsored contest. I've seen the entries, and they're amazing. I believe their "First Prize" is something like $2000, so the best skinners out there competed in earnest.

At some point in the past, the Donators here voiced the opinion that a purchased skin would be a good use of donated funds. Mumbles and I agreed at the time, and I think that would be a route to pursue.

I'll just ask everyone to be patient, and let's see what the new version can do for us. It will be worth it.

In the next week or two, I'll have a "sneak peek" install of 3.0 so that our members can see for themselves what it can do. I guarantee that 99.999% of us will be impressed. ;)

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, psyco, it was needed.