• Unsure
    • A and B
    • Other
  2. 2. Who

• Hillary
    • Obama
    • McCain
    • Romney

I am personally conservative and a fairly strong one at that. I can not vote yet but so far I am pulling for Mccain as much as I don't like him. I would rather have Romney by far.

I think that most everyone on here is conservative but I'm not sure. You can say what you are like usual but no one is forcing you.

Edited by mormanman

Although I haven't been following the policies and ideas very close, be wary about voting in (Obama) if he wants to proceed with universal healthcare. It requires a staggering amount of taxes to sustain. The system is also regularly abused by many people who visit doctors for no reason other than something to do.

In Canada we have it, but we also have absurdly long wait times for surgeries,tests and care in general. The income tax here is higher as well as business taxes, liquor taxes, and tobacco tax in order to help pay for everything. We also have 2 sales taxes,provincial and federal (except in Alberta that has no provincial tax)

A few examples:

pack of cigarettes $12

24 of beer $30+

26oz bottle of whiskey $20-30

1l of gas $1.30+

Looking at the shape of the US economy, with the financial burden of Iraq added in I think would be quite a disaster to try and implement such a system. many here are now looking at and trying to implement a 2 tier system.

Universal healthcare is just as important to a flourishing society then the fire department or the justice system.

Ofcourse care must be taken to punish the abusers, but overall the amount of abuse in healtcare is minimal compared to other social support structures, in Belgium anyway.

Taxes are going to rise, I currently receive about 60% of my gross income thanks to all kinds of taxes. But this in no way compares to the benefits of the system AND the peace of mind it offers.

One can also discuss about the "flourishing" part in the case of the USA, but that's a whole other political discussion :P

EDIT: I haven't heard of long waiting times for healthcare ... Everybody seen the film Sicko?

Edited by Sylar

Universal healthcare is just as important to a flourishing society then the fire department or the justice system.

Ofcourse care must be taken to punish the abusers, but overall the amount of abuse in healtcare is minimal compared to other social support structures, in Belgium anyway.

Taxes are going to rise, I currently receive about 60% of my gross income thanks to all kinds of taxes. But this in no way compares to the benefits of the system AND the peace of mind it offers.

One can also discuss about the "flourishing" part in the case of the USA, but that's a whole other political discussion :P

EDIT: I haven't heard of long waiting times for healthcare ... Everybody seen the film Sicko?

There are documented cases of people who visited doctors more than 200 times in a year...most of which had no valid reason.

Long wait times are the norm in Canada, as is "hallway medicine" due to huge shortages of hospital beds. It is very common for people to go have procedures done in the USA in order to expedite them. The biggest drain on the system in some parts here is far too much hospital buraucracy, and not enough money being used where really needed, such as for doctors, nurses and facilities.

Anyway this is straying off topic though...

Just bits and pieces of the film. I will never pay for anything done by Michael Moore. He cherry-picks his facts very carefully, and omits any detail that proves him wrong. Many Cubans came forth after the movie to point out his fallacies, as happened after each of his previous movies. If you base *any* concept of anything in the US on Michael Moore, that is about as factual as basing opinions on a John Wayne cowboy movie.

I personally know numerous Canadians who come to the US for health care, they all make the same claim about long wait times. The head automation engineer at my work is Canadian, here on a green card, waiting to switch citizenship now.

Just for know,who is the most non-religious ?

Most likely the Libertarian or Independent candidate.

I don't trust any of the candidates. And I'm getting damned sick and tired of hiolding my nose every time I step into a voting booth.....

I don't trust any of the candidates. And I'm getting damned sick and tired of hiolding my nose every time I step into a voting booth.....

The last American presidential candidate from a major political party that I could have actually voted FOR instead of against was the late Senator Barry Goldwater. The current senator from Arizona is a disappointment, and the junior Senator from Illinois is as qualified to lead the nation as my pet boa constrictor, Fluffy. Kind of cute in a slimy sort of way, good with her tongue, but don't turn your back on the bitch or she'll swallow you whole.

I like Mitt b/c he is the most conservative and I mean look at my user name. Its spelled wrong but you get the picture. I know pleanty of Mormons that don't like him but still you got to represent.

I don't like Obama or Hilary. I'm not racist or sexist either, I don't really like Ron Paul or McCain all that much either.

Hilary- I beleive that if she can't keep her family life in harmony then what will she do to the country?

Obama- He is a Democrat, he will probably try to take away our rights and what not.

Ron Paul- Not real sure about him

McCain- too libaril to be a real conservative.

All I want our government to do is LEAVE US ALONE. DEFEND THE BORDER. If they slashed the federal budget by 75%, that would still leave enough to do the job as the founding fathers envisioned.

• 2 months later...

The company I work for was sold to the Pritzker's. The Pritzkers are a family worth Billions, literally! I recently was given an e-mail with an attachment from a Pittsburgh newspaper columnist Jack Kelly. In it was a small paragraph towards the bottom that said this;

"Chicago billionaire Penny Pritzker, head of Mr. Obama's finance committee, chaired the now-defunct Superior Bank when it began to cook the books to conceal losses from subprime mortgages. The holding company her family owned collected $200 million in dividends on phony profits."

I wonder what is going to happen to the place I work at over time the way it is. After this article I'm glad I might have a new job lined up. I know, maybe I'll get free health care there if I do manage to stay on! :wacko:

I guess a side note is that the Pritzkers broke up the family team so what ever happens it will only come from 2 or 3 of them.

The way I see it, all these choices are wrong... Where's Giant Douchebag and Turd Sandwich? Pile o'Poop isn't even on the list.

I have no idea who I'm gonna vote for.... I don't like either one of the candidates in the slightest. And theres no point invoting for anyone but the main two candidates, not that I like any of them anyway but it just is a wasted vote.

To be quite honest, I would have voted for Hillary Clinton long before either of the two we have to choose from now. If for no reason then her husband is Bill Clinton and I like him and think he was a great president.

My opinion has always been they are all crooks and I would rather have my crooks in charge.

We have strayed so far from what this country was founded on it's scary.

The way I see it, all these choices are wrong... Where's Giant Douchebag and Turd Sandwich? Pile o'Poop isn't even on the list.

We can do write ins can't we? So which one are we voting for Tentacles, "Pile O'Poop" maybe???? It least it sound politically intelligent! :lol:

All I want our government to do is LEAVE US ALONE. DEFEND THE BORDER. If they slashed the federal budget by 75%, that would still leave enough to do the job as the founding fathers envisioned.

Defend the border from who exactly? The Canadians or the Mexicans neither of them is invading so defense really isn't possible? Im assuming your talking about the Mexicans because they look different. How did they hurt you? Because they willing to work more and for less pay, that doesn't make them thieves it makes them harder workers how about focusing on real issues like war and the economy?

Crazyboy, that a great perspective. I've never heard or seen anyone put it like that. Golf clap to you.

If I was in the US I would probably vote for McCain, its a given that he will f*** up though it wont be as bad as if Obama get in. He has no experience.

But, from my position on the other side of the world I'm gunning for Obama. Your economy is already down the shitter, the only other thing I care about is stability and I don't think Obama has the balls the start a war.

Either way the future doesn't look that great, pick the lesser of two evils. Dont forget that they are not in it for you.

Edited by WarezWally

The economy really is not as bad as the media is portraying. Remember the Savings & Loan bailout/fiasco? The sky was falling there, yet everything rebounded. It always does.

A bad economy is the depression from the 1930's... unemployment at 30%+, soup kitchens, bread lines. We are a LONG way from that!

I want a Republican WHO DOES NOT SPEND LIKE A DRUNKEN HOUSEWIFE AT TIFFANY'S. Much to my shame, Republican administrations have not behaved like they are "supposed to" when it comes to fiscal stuff. Might be because of Congress. Who knows. I just want a president who will slash spending, and lower taxes. If I thought Obama would do that, I'd still not vote for him though because of the critical appointments that will be made to the U.S. Supreme Court.

If you enjoy shooting and firearms, and Obama is elected, LOOK OUT. I also think Obama will tax the living shit out of everyone and everything. I already send in way too much. Working for the Government from January to May (They get everything up to that point) is not my idea of fiscal prudence.

If you are looking at this election from the viewpoint of an amateur pyro, Senator Obama has vowed to double funding for the CPSC. This is not even considering the economic situation.

^^^ Youch! Double funding for the CPSC?

Both sides of the political spectrum are full of crap. If I understand Obama's tax plan correctly, he want to tax businesses (and rich people) more, but not individuals. Don't individuals usually work for businesses?

But on the other hand, we need another republican like I need a mortal chest wound.

Ouch double the funding....because thats just what they need...more funding.

Oh and Crazyboy I am also for shutting down the borders. I have no problem with anyone, from anywhere so don't get me wrong. I just think the country is....to put it simply... full! We really don't need any more people when we can't support the ones we have. I hate a crowded world, seems like more and more of the farmland around me is being sectioned off and sold because people wanna get out of the cities. Plus they take jobs that could be filled by other people. I don't mind legal aliens, but illegal ones aren't welcome. We just don't need any more people, especially if they don't bother with doing it legally.

Plus, Swede will have to tell me if I'm right here, but I think your misunderstanding his statement. I think he's just saying that the government should spend their time defending the border and less time messing with the peoples business. Just like drop 75% of the government spending, defend the borders (keep us safe from an attacking country, not go hunting down people) and otherwise just chill.

^^^ Youch! Double funding for the CPSC?

Both sides of the political spectrum are full of crap. If I understand Obama's tax plan correctly, he want to tax businesses (and rich people) more, but not individuals. Don't individuals usually work for businesses?

Or worst case <mine> some individuals ARE a business. And I already pay a 1% tax just for BEING self employed. What a crock. I SHOULD get a 1% rebate for not getting worker's comp, or a ton of OTHER crap, and making my own way.

• 2 weeks later...
Obama is smarter than McCain, and while neither are close to perfect, on behalf of the world I believe Obama should be elected. After a century of maltreatment by our hand, the world is getting back on it's feet and passing us, we can't just do whatever we want anymore. Our tax system is still relatively conservative compared to many nations. I think the republican era may be over for a while, though... until/unless the democratic camp screws up in similar fashion. Well, what will be will be.