APC Forum

Fireballs, liquid

Swany

Yep I am having a problem with that file.

I try to right click and save as and I get it trying to save as a .htm document. I click on the link and i get a page with a ton of gibberish.

Anyone else?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• cplmac

• mormanman

• Swany

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just created a fireball with some of my Traxxas 33% fuel for use in my Nitro R/C vehicles. I mixed it 50/50 with gasoline, and the effect was very cool. I dont really want to waste my good fuel, so I will try my crappy Blue Thunder 20% next.

I just created a fireball with some of my Traxxas 33% fuel for use in my Nitro R/C vehicles. I mixed it 50/50 with gasoline, and the effect was very cool. I dont really want to waste my good fuel, so I will try my crappy Blue Thunder 20% next.

Hehe yeah I like to use Nitro fuel too. Makes a very interesting effect!

APC has a filehost that you can upload pyro related videos and pics to.

www.apcforum.net/files

Someone tried to use HE to make the gasoline spread out and make a HUGE fireball?

Imagine 100 grams of ANNM, initiated inside a 5-gallon tank of gasoline. My, what a fireball! :P

Hello

There are my fireballs,

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Fireball_P2_dioksan.mpg

I used 500 cm3 1,4-dioksan (diethylenum dioxide?) on the folic bag and under bag was 40g FB. Electric ignition.

Next I used 1 litre Diesel oil and 60g FB:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Fireball_P2_ON.mpg

This is interesting picture

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Firebal_pic.jpg

sorry for quality movie... (these movie are 2 years old).

Regards

P2

wow its a very nice fireball,i never make a fireball like that but you give me an idea to make a bigger fireball ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Some good stuff here guys- I looked in my archives for a diagram of a 4" and 6" (Lampara) aka LPE as I know it by and scanned it up for yall.

-Liquid Projectile Explosive-

I remember using plastic shells; canisters work best. You have to use a hot flash mix- a good flash with Mg/Ti- to ignite the fuel of choice (Acetone/Gasoline) inside the shell while keeping in mind the time delay for the shell to reach the height you want. A 4 or 6 inch shell with 16 oz. of fuel plus the bursting charge is quite impressive at 400-500 feet. I remember a colleague of mine saying he put fine magnesium ribbon in the fuel mix of one LPE and after the fuel burnt out in the fire ball you could see the little "stars" of Mg flickering out and down. Sometimes in mine the Mg didn't light so I used strands of steel wool for sparks if such effect was needed with the fireball.

Here is a simple design I had packed away-

LPE design

I have a few other pictures I've uploaded in the album there, feel free to poke through those selected for viewing.

Be safe- have fun- :D

• 2 weeks later...

That was pretty cool lacrima!

Today I made my largest liquid fireball ever. It used about 200ml of gasoline and 3 teaspoons of lift powder. The heat wave from it was intense!

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Fireball2.mpg

(I had to right click and save as to get it to play) <_<

I think that was also my best fireball to date. It had perfect form IMO. I love how all those bugs go silent when it goes off. I can't remember what they are called though....

Just out of curiosity... Does it matter what you use for a lift powder? For example, I dont have access to BP at the moment (waiting for my chems to come in) but I do have access to smokeless powder. Is that going to be too much power? Or should I just use less of it?

Spiked- you can use that smokeless powder but that's aweful costly isn't it? If that's all you have, of course you can use it. Since there is not a huge pressure build up in a fireball launcher as opposed to a gun using smokeless- you can use it about the same way. However, experiment with the smallest amount you think will work first and move up or down from there.

Smokeless will produce higher pressures when "confined" so keep that in mind when shooting even liquids out of a tube.

Why hasn't anyone else tried flash? It works quite nicely, and adds a nice thump.

Under pressure, things burn faster and then produce more pressure and burn faster, and such. Probably exponential, if one were to study it. Ammonium nitrate and charcoal cast into solid blocks could produce pressures greater than 10,000psi in naval guns, and that is a single grain! Ammonium nitrate and charcoal is hardly spectacular either, as far as burnrate goes. Gaseous products, in theory all of them would be gaseous. See a correlation?

Well technically I dont have any smokeless either, but my uncle makes bullets (.38spl's to be exact) and he told me I could get some from him if I needed it.

• 4 weeks later...
Switching to gasoline; napthalene mothballs seem to not be availible ANYWHERE....I can only fine para mothballs. Apparently from what I can gather, napthalene gives babies liver problems and some other diseases or whatnot. figures

I found boxes of napthalene at the dollar store under the name "old fashioned moth balls." Nowhere else I looked carried napthalene ones. darn carcinogens <_<

I've seen Napthalene mothballs everywhere I've looked for them. Guess I'm just lucky.

The brand I always see is in a blue box although I can't remember the name at the moment. I also saw some mothball crystals but I didn't take care to read the label or anything. I doubt they contain Nap. though.

I can buy napthalene by the pound for $4. Napthalene flakes, used for moths and that.

Another place to check would be the pest repellent section of a hardware store. They use naphthalene for more than just moths. It seems everything hates the smell. I specifically remember a bat repellent. It was nap balls coated in sulfur. Those must be fun to have around.

The smell from the Nap was filling my car before during transport. I now keep the shit outside in a plastic bag to relatively protect against the elements. Not sure how winter will fair on it though.

DB, I know the blue box you're talking about. I think the name is "Enos Old fashioned mothballs," or some such. They are 99% napthelene, cheap, in my local grocery. I've chucked a few in the attic to keep the bats/birds/squirrels out.