APC Forum

Fireballs, liquid

Swany

I would try a PVC pipe. More pressure would build up behind the petrol propelling it higher into the air.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• cplmac

• mormanman

• Swany

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I expect any sort of fireball from a film canister? Should I seal the gas bag? I can't tell if its just the black powder going off or a fireball. There's alkways a puddle of burning gasoline left on the floor.

Film canisters are a bit small for lampare although a few members of the PGI have done it sucessfully using laquer thinner or VP&M naptha.

You can make “Stealth Lampare” using a "salt and pepper" mixture of 2:1 ground naphthalene and BP.

to make a good fireball take a mortar tube, the stronger the better, i use a 1.75 inch i.d. steel . put about a 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup bp, then place a snack size ziplock baggie filled with gasoline in the mortar right on top of the bp. bottom fuse the mortar first. light it, you get a good bang and a really nice fireball, probably 15 to 20 ft diameter.

Aye, but a tad bit dangerous with steel pipe. Even though the baggie is a huge weakness in the design, there is always a chance for a freak accident. If you're going to continue using that steel pipe; at least just don't get too friendly with it (I.E. don't stand 20ft away from it when its going off)

the steel pipe is actually a salute cannon, i dont shoot a projectile, i , dont even use wadding most of the time, just a lot of powder. it can handle up to a pound of powder at a time , but usually i use about 6 ounces. it makes a very nice giant smoke ring, and is about as loud as a lightning strike in your front yard. it works very well for gas fireballs also.

• 2 weeks later...

damn ! very interessing device ^_^ but i have some idea about shell fireball , AIR FIREBALL is also very spectacular.try cylindrical cardboard shell with flash powder burst charge and gasoline in a zipploc bag. hmmm huge air fireball ^_^ but its more dangerous.

use this device over a river or pond to prevent fire.

yes lampara ! hhmm i imagine 5" multi-effect lampara shell

Then imagine something immensely dangerous.

Yes, lamparas sound fun. I'm thinking about ordering a few commercial 4" lamparas for the 4th.

Something I didn't know, but found randomly amuzing. Lampara is lamp in spanish :ph34r:

hm hm yes. i see some video of spanish event. very interessing !

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a buddy of mine had a little fun with about 100g of meal powder, and about a gallon of petrol in a ziplock bag. The gas was just placed on top of the bp charge. Im guessing the fireball was about 15-20 ft tall. We plan on doing another as soon as I get a new ball mill, and this one will have to have a vid.

When the atomized gas and air ignited, the shockwave was intense. Who knew it would do such a thing. A large area caught on fire, and the heat of the blast killed a few 15ft tall trees. When you guys feel a strong blast like that, do you feel really weak?,(literally)

I had only made small scale fireballs until last weekend.

My previous attempts were pretty good; I used 10g of fast BP which was finely powdered, and a sandwich bag full of Petrol/Gas. The effect was pretty good, as I confined the BP really well so I got a nice boom and a fireball erupted.

Last weekend I took 80g of my fast BP again and confined it in a tube. I actually stringed this one too! I took a old gallon of that RC Nitro fuel that I bought from the model shop a few years ago. To be exact it was ‘Trinity Monster Horsepower, 20% Nitro’.

This stuff burns pretty funny, as It has a white and washed out yellow flame. In the day it looks like it’s invisible.

Well cut a long story short, I made a fireball inside my thickest 4” mortar tube, buried it, placed in the charge and used a couple of ‘shopping’ bags to house the fuel. This thing erupted like no tomorrow. And yes, the shockwave off these things is intense; you can really feel the floor move beneath your feet. The fireball was a washed out yellow colour with no visible smoke.

I've tried a fire ball with a bag of gas and pyrodex it didnt work cause i dont think the pyrodex burned fast enough i will have to try it with my own BP some time

The easiest way i know to make a fire ball is to simply dig a hole (twice as deep as wide works well) put part of an old shower curtian or garbage bag in the hole so none of the gas or whatever you use escapes into the ground. Then you get an M-80 or the equivilance (water proof cassing) attach it to a rock light the fuse through it in. It will sink to the bottom and blast your comubustible liqiud upward in a fire ball (that 100grams of flash per liter seems a little high, i use 3grams in an M-80 that blows 1liter to a liter and a half). Also the explosive used should go below the liquid you are using.

This is about 175g of meal powder, and about a gallon of gasoline/nitromethane. The stuff was awesome.

post-4-1149202266_thumb.jpg

The easiest way i know to make a fire ball is to simply dig a hole (twice as deep as wide works well) put part of an old shower curtian or garbage bag in the hole so none of the gas or whatever you use escapes into the ground. Then you get an M-80 or the equivilance (water proof cassing) attach it to a rock light the fuse through it in. It will sink to the bottom and blast your comubustible liqiud upward in a fire ball (that 100grams of flash per liter seems a little high, i use 3grams in an M-80 that blows 1liter to a liter and a half). Also the explosive used should go below the liquid you are using.

wtf you tard the sparks will ingnite the gas

I think some of us need to reevaluate who the "tard" is. The gas is getting ignited one way or another, so why does it matter? If you don't start being respectful to the members, you're getting banned. This isn't TOTSE where you can post what you want about absolutly nothing. Also, punctuation and capitals are very appreciated.

wtf you tard the sparks will ingnite the gas

Yes, but only at the surface level. The burning fuel will ensure ignition of the atomized liquid blasted upward by the explosion. Remember, liquids only burn in the gaseous state.

This is about 175g of meal powder, and about a gallon of gasoline/nitromethane. The stuff was awesome.

Do you have a movie of this fireball? or maybe biger pic?

I think some of us need to reevaluate who the "tard" is. The gas is getting ignited one way or another, so why does it matter? If you don't start being respectful to the members, you're getting banned. This isn't TOTSE where you can post what you want about absolutly nothing. Also, punctuation and capitals are very appreciated.

Hey Mumbles could you drop me an e-mail?,OzzyKKK@hotmail.com

You think you could use PM's, or drop Mumbles an email?

I am a believer in using flash to disperse it and atomise it, then using a secondary ignition. The fireballs are more massive, and appear to be more 'explosion like'. This weekend I may travel to a friends cabin, and fireballs would be on the agenda.

I think a methyl borate fireball is in order. Green would look quite exellent.

You think you could use PM's, or drop Mumbles an email?

I am a believer in using flash to disperse it and atomise it, then using a secondary ignition. The fireballs are more massive, and appear to be more 'explosion like'. This weekend I may travel to a friends cabin, and fireballs would be on the agenda.

I think a methyl borate fireball is in order. Green would look quite exellent.

lol, yea i forgot its been awhile since ive been on a real fourm

This is about 175g of meal powder, and about a gallon of gasoline/nitromethane.  The stuff was awesome.

This movie was done on a phone, so it is shiite. As you guys know, these damn movies do the actual experiment no justice. As a comparison, you can use the trees, and also, at the end, you can use me as a comparison (remember, I am standing at least 20ft from the flame area, and am about 5'10)

This movie should open with quicktime. Its a 3gp.

EDIT, sorry, no deal for now. If someone has their own site, i guess they could host it or something.

This is about 175g of meal powder, and about a gallon of gasoline/nitromethane.  The stuff was awesome.

This movie was done on a phone, so it is shiite. As you guys know, these damn movies do the actual experiment no justice. As a comparison, you can use the trees, and also, at the end, you can use me as a comparison (remember, I am standing at least 20ft from the flame area, and am about 5'10)

This movie should open with quicktime. Its a 3gp.

Movie doesnt work.