APC Forum

Keck clips

WarezWally

Are keck clips strictly required for jointed glassware? Any cheaper alternatives?

They are very expensive :(

My best answer is that it depends what you'e doing. I wouldn't be caught dead purging a system without them. Probably not distilling under atmospheric pressure either. There might be geneic brands.

You can just use normal glassware clamps to clamp everything down to the stands... but man oh man are they nice for keeping things attached and not slipping off and breaking expensive glass... I REALLY wish I had some... But they are a bit pricey still.

You should be able to wrap joints somewhat with wire for a similar hold, BUT it wont be quickly adjustable... or as dependable.

Would plastic keck clips be alright for nitric acid distillation? Edited by superman1451

Yep, they would be fine. They shouldn't come in contact with the acid, but seem pretty chemical resistant. Maybe not to hot nitric vapor, but if they're getting exposed to hot nitric vapor you have bigger problems than destroying a $3 piece of plastic.

Anyway, there is a way to hold glassware together with wire and rubber bands. It's actually better, a harder hold, but more time consuming to set up and not as convenient. It's hard to describe, but I'll do my best. Take a piece of wire about 20cm long, and fold it in half to have a doubled up set of wire. Open it back up a bit, and run a side of the wire along each side of the joint and pinch it off. There should be roughly equal amounts on both sides. It should look a little bit like and airplane propeller. Grab two sets of pliers and start twisting until it is reasonably snug. Fold the ears away from the joint to make hooks. Repeat on the other side. You can then apply rubber bands to the joint to hold it together once the glassware is assembled.