APC Forum

Attachable File Types

TheSidewinder

Attachments can be of various Filetypes. We're all familiar with the common ones: DOC, JPG, PDF, MPG, AVI, WMV, etc.

IP Board comes with a pre-defined set of these filetypes, but we CAN add new ones.

If you are attaching a file with a filetype thst isn't already defined, you will get an error.

PLEASE REPORT THIS HERE.

We will check out the filetype and make sure the forum can handle it properly, and then add it as an allowable extension.

Thank you!

• 9 months later...

SW

My camera only uses MPEG2 when I load files on the forum I get an error. I will work on it in the mean time

thanks

Let me take a look. We may be restricted to the types above. When I tried add a new type, it hosed the Gallery videos.

BRB, I hope.

EDIT: I suspect you uploaded a filetype it didn't recognize. When I tried to play that 16mb video you uploaded, it identified it as a Quicktime file, and when the caching of it to my browser completed it wouldn't play. Got a greyed-out question mark over the quicktime icon.

Weird. If you can convert that video to straight WMV or MPG it should work.

(P.S.These features are probably going to be greatly enhanced with the new release of IPB coming soon, but I don't know if upgrading is right for us yet.)

• 4 weeks later...
Let me take a look. We may be restricted to the types above. When I tried add a new type, it hosed the Gallery videos.

BRB, I hope.

EDIT: I suspect you uploaded a filetype it didn't recognize. When I tried to play that 16mb video you uploaded, it identified it as a Quicktime file, and when the caching of it to my browser completed it wouldn't play. Got a greyed-out question mark over the quicktime icon.

Weird. If you can convert that video to straight WMV or MPG it should work.

(P.S.These features are probably going to be greatly enhanced with the new release of IPB coming soon, but I don't know if upgrading is right for us yet.)

I tried using a converter. When that was done nothing would play. I got on Sony's site and they suggested uninstalling the converter and ya back to where I started. Somethings amiss I'll just have to figure it out.

Well, hell....

Do me a favor, if you're able?

Zip up an original file from your camera, before any converting, then upload it to my dedi server. (I'll PM you with FTP account info).

I'll see what I can figure out.

I *have* noticed that certain file types show as one extension, but play or download in a different extension. This might be related.

I've also been following development of IP Board v3.0, and I have to say that when it goes final it's going to be kick-ass.

Perhaps we'll upgrade sooner rather than later, but that remains to be seen.

This issue won't happen in the new version, as far as I can tell.

My problem with file converting is that Sony software does not like free converting software and it messed with my files to the point of being not usable. Uninstalling free stuff took care of that to restore files.

I contacted Sony about my camera which is a HDR-SR5 and uses software called "Picture Motion Browser". The software version was an early version which only allowed to convert to MPEG2. The newer version has the option to convert to WMV files as well as MPEG2. The new version of the software suggested to me by Sony is 3.0.05. Here is the link I was given if there is interest to anyone.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-downl...29&os_id=27

When I try to open an attached file, I get an error thats says that I'm not logged in. Anyone knows how I can fix this?

Since the above message was your first post, you weren't a Full Member until you made it. The regular Members group has many restrictions.

Try again, and report back if you still have a problem.