APC Forum

Approval of Comments

TheSidewinder

There are now several places where users may make comments in others users posts and entries.

The "owner" of a Gallery, Download, or Blog has moderation control of their own space, and can approve (or deny) -ANY- comments posted. I'm asking users who have Galleries, Blogs, or who have made entries in Downloads, to check them for new comments and approve them as you see fit. You can choose to have an email sent whenever there is a new comment to approve, if you wish.

New (unapproved) comments - EVEN YOUR OWN - will show up on the entry page to your Gallery Album, which is displayed when you click Gallery -> Member's Gallery, and within the page for the individual Gallery pic/media will show up in a contrasting color.

Download comments are displayed in a similar fashion, but on the individual page for each pf your downloads.

For Blogs, there is a further option. YOU can control whether comments automatically appear, or whether they require your approval.

Go to My Controls -> Blog Settings -> Customize The Look Of Your Blog -> Approve Comments Posted To Your Blog. You have 3 options there:

No Approve (i.e. No approval required: They automatically appear), Approve Guest Comments Only, Approve All Comments. Set it however you wish.

Anyone having trouble with their comment moderation is welcome to post here for further help.

Thank you!

Edited by TheSidewinder
Clarified possible choices

NOTE: I approved the three comments that were pending. They weren't spam or inflamatory, and that's one of the reasons that we setup User Approval for you to control.

Please let us know if this is a desirable or undesirable feature to you.

Thank you!

Yeah, that caught me too. ;)

I figured that my OWN comments in my OWN Gallery wouldn't need moderating... but they do!

I edited my first entry to make that more clear.

Hi TS, I'm a bit confused on this. Frozentech left a comment on my blog, which appeared OK, and as a test, I posted a reply. Both of them seem to display fine. I don't see any options to "approve" a comment anywhere. What am I missing?

WHOOPS! It's been a long couple of days.

That should be Downloads and Gallery which actually REQUIRE you to approve comments.

For Blogs, YOU have control of whether comments can be posted without approval, and by default it's set to display comments without needing approval.

Go to My Controls -> Blog Settings -> Customize The Look Of Your Blog -> Approve Comments Posted To Your Blog. You have 3 options there.

I've changed my original entry to reflect this, thanks for catching it!

• 2 years later...
Now can anyone explain me how approving gallery comments works? When I go to "my settings" and then "gallery", the software says there are 5 queued comments...

I can explain how I can do it, but I'm not sure if it'd be the same for you.

If you go into gallery and scroll down you should see which images have comments. For me they say 0 comments, but just below that there is a purple message that says "+1 queued". Click on that and you should see your comments, which should be lightly shaded. There should hopefully be a check box to the lower left of the message. Below that there should be a drop down menu that has the option to "approve comments"

Well, it´s not the same I fear. If I enter my gallery I only see my pics with the title and a note e.g. 0 comments, 12 views, 0 notes. Nothing purple at all. Could it be that the approval is only a feature of "staff albums"?

Any way you can fix this?

You're comment about comments is not very laconic.

And oh, by the way, in your signature you spelled it wrong. You wrote a possessive pronoun instead on the correct contraction.

Add an apostrophe to rectify the error: Should be it's not just its.

wink2.gif

Okay... Chill mr. english.

I seem to be having the same issue here, it says I have 3 comments queued when I go Settings>Gallery, but when I try what Mumbles said, it will say 0 comments / 56 views / 0 notes on each picture.

post-9884-12876199829_thumb.png

Also, is there any way to delete one image out of an album?

Edited by Updup

You're comment about comments is not very laconic.

And oh, by the way, in your signature you spelled it wrong. You wrote a possessive pronoun instead on the correct contraction.

Add an apostrophe to rectify the error: Should be it's not just its.

wink2.gif

Anyka?

Indeed, same fate.

You can set Comments to not require approval, in your user controls. (EDIT: I take that back. That ability is in the next version.)

In any case, click your name in the upper right, choose My Settings. Explore all the neat options! ;)

"You're comment about comments is not very laconic."

Hmmm pot, kettle- BLACK. You're? Sheesh.

Indeed, same fate.

You can set Comments to not require approval, in your user controls. (EDIT: I take that back. That ability is in the next version.)

In any case, click your name in the upper right, choose My Settings. Explore all the neat options! wink2.gif

I've explored every grain of the settings and still no option to apporve gallery comments.

That's upcoming.

It's irritated me to no end that you can't set that to be automatic, too. :angry:

• 2 months later...

That's upcoming.

It's irritated me to no end that you can't set that to be automatic, too. :angry:

Any ideas when? I have 7 queued comments. The gallery is just half the fun if you can´t comment and be commented IMHO.

Any chance that you can approve the comments for me, meanwhile...?

Thanks!

Edit: Could this probably help?: http://www.devfuse.com/forums/topic/3577-resolved-ip-gallery-comments/

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Yes, it did help, and I've changed that setting so that all new comments will just auto-post. I've approved all the existing ones.

The upcoming Gallery 4.0 is SUPPOSED to have a per-member setting. This latest version still doesn't.

We'll monitor to see if people are spamming or abusing the privilege of posting comments without approval, and address the member's behavior, rather than penalize the album owner.

Yes, it did help, and I've changed that setting so that all new comments will just auto-post.

That´s really great to hear, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I go into my gallery and it says I have 8 photos and I have 5 comments.. I look at my photos and I can't see any comments? I don't know how to approve them or what to do with them? I can't see the comments anywhere except where it tells me I have 5 of them.

That's... odd. Let me see if I can clean that up. You actually have only one comment, from mormanman back in October.

EDIT: I'll be damned if I can figure out why that says 5 comments there. What I see in the database is one comment. :blink: