APC Forum

Water proof fuses

flamingape

I've been looking around lately and have yet to find some good CHEAP waterproof fuses, the only supplier is out 40 miles from here and they only sell 1 ft of cannon fuse for about 10$.

I have found a few good ideas from instrucables, Vz2k (in the comments), and a few passing mentions in roguesci.

but alot of these use chlorate.... could I use perchlorate and silicon?

You could ordering some visco, look in supplier reviews. Or, try researching and making a visco machine that uses BP as fuel and NC laquer to seal it.

What Bonny said, if you want some waterproof fuse without having to make it yourself, order it online and have it delivered to your door!

There are several good suppliers in the supplier review section :)

I always use pyrocreations. Like $14.50 of 105 ft. USA is where I live though.

What Bonny said, if you want some waterproof fuse without having to make it yourself, order it online and have it delivered to your door!

There are several good suppliers in the supplier review section :)

Oh I by no means am unwilling to make some myself. In fact I think I'm going to have to as I need to cut my spending as it is... shipping is a bitch and I already have all the materials needed here.

I just thought you guys could give me a few ideas and kinda tell me why fuses burn underwater.

sorry my first post was not clear on that but I was sorta in a hurry to go see this girl :D

Fuses burn underwater because the composition supplies it's own oxygen, and is sealed in with thread and nitrocellulose lacquer (NC also burns w/o oxygen). Water doesn't get in to make it wet (unless you crease the fuse and break the smooth NC coating). If you *really* need it to burn underwater, seal it in some plastic tube. I'd suggest using heat shrink tubing and shrinking it down on the fuse. Works wonders for using visco on shells too.

It might work, but you would probably be better off just getting NC lacquer. Do you have a visco machine already?

You could go with the silicon/KMnO4 fuse, it burns slow but would work under water.

Edited by LGM

From what I understand, coating "non-waterproof" Visco with thinned shellac or varnish would do the job nicely, and be cheaper than NC.

From what I understand, coating "non-waterproof" Visco with thinned shellac or varnish would do the job nicely, and be cheaper than NC.

oh my indeed it does!

with perchlorate H3 blackmatch and a few dips in shellac it is perfect!

• 7 months later...