APC Forum

KCl metathesis question?

dcberry

Ok my question is I'll be converting my NaClO3 to KClO3 through metathesis reaction now my question is they say both electrolytes should be cooled before mixing but cooling KCl will result in most of it participating out. I've got one day left before I leave for a week (vacation) and need to shut down my cell and I have to get this right. Do I just add this with the KCl crystals or do I filter these crystals out first before boiling a second time or can I just add the boiled (hot) KCl to the cooled NaClO3? I really appreciate any guidance thank you!

If you are advised to mix two cooled solutions, that is what you should do of course.

If my memory serves me correctly 1 gram of KCl dissolves in 3ml water so if you have three times the KCl's weight in water then all should be dissolved at room temperature.

Mix the cold solutions and a white precipitate will form, your KClO3. I advise you to then bring the combined liquids to a boil and very slowly letting them cool. This way you get bigger crystals, which are easier filtered out of the solution. When it is cooled, put it in the fridge to get the most KC out of it.

When you return from your vacation, take the spent liquid and saturate it with NaCl. Once saturated, you can use it for another round of chlorate manufacture. The second crop from it will be bigger, as there still is KC in it, which will drive all the newly formed KC from it after metathesis.

What kind of anode do you use?

First of all thank you for your response. I am following the directions which states to dissolve 600 grams NaCl per liter and 400 grams KCl per liter so this has kinda confused me because on cooling a lot has participated out. FYI I'm using a MMO anode and a Ti cathode. I will filter out all KCl crystals. I will definitely save all electrolytes but now I have another question can I add KCl and run this as a KClO3 cell instead of a NaClO3 as it is now or is that even a wise choice? Again thank you and I'll let you know how it goes.

I think you got some bad instructios. At room temperature both are only soluble to about 350g per liter. Heat really wont make anymore of the sodium chloride dissolve, but it will help the KCl.

Jeremy March :lol: :unsure: :lol:

I was waiting to here from you Mumbles thanks.

I figured that I really wanted both solutions saturated of course NaClO3 wasn't a problem and the KCl was boiled then cooled in a water bath while it was continually stirred everything stayed in suspension nicely :)

The only problem I had was my Pyrex they were exactly where I left them the time before where ever that may be! So I was forced to use an old stainless steel stockpot well I found out quickly that the bottom had already been compromised so I had a lot of Fe3O4? to filter out. All in all it turned out to be a pretty good haul I'll weight it out to ASAP already did a burn test and the paper towel which was used to soak up some of the water burned with red/orange and some blue/purples not sure what that indicates yet but soon, purple I known is potassium. Now it's packing time Sturgis here I come!!! Thanks guys for the help/reassurance!

I pulled a little over 100 grams out of 1700ml on the first run.

Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Sunday through tuesday nights are my busiest days of the week.

dcberry, Ive used months ago a good quality stainless steel pan without any wear on it.. So, it can this be attributed to SS quality?

In next runs I wish try to just put solid KCl in the electrolyte and boil it a bit (outdoors of course.. I use dichromate in my electrolytes.. As you should already know, boiling the liquor is good since most of the hypochlorite is destroyed to yield still more chlorate) then let it cooling, put it in a salt-ice bath for some hours , filter all, give it a little wash then recrystalize it one, two or more times for good KClO3.. then saturate the spent liquors with NaCl and run it in a new cell..