APC Forum

easy KNO3 White and Strobe experiments

Yankie

I made some white composition (57:23:10 - KNO3:S:meal powder) and it burned a rather poor white, I added more KNO3 and saw an improved result, I continued to add KNO3 and some sulfur here and there and the white was quite strong and vibrant. I added the chemicals with a spoon and did not keep record of the amounts.

I used the last of my KNO3 and cannot experiment any further so I would appreciate it if someone else takes on this project. I can estimate the ratio for a good white as 70:30 - KNO3:S I beleive the meal powder only reduces the white due to the charcoal.

I added a small amount of sodium bicarbonate (10% maybe) and got a rather impressive yellow.

I experimented further with small amounts of this White composition i created, I added about an equal volume of sulfur and when burning in a pile it would strobe, it goes completely out then flashes brightly then goes out again, it does this several times. I made some pressed stars from this yet they dont strobe but they sputter, however it does look pretty cool as hundreds of smoke rings are produced from just a 4mm star. Maybe a huge comet on the ground on a still day could make some pretty neat effects during the day.

I will not be able to get any more KNO3 for a while and would like for these experiments to be worked on, and the input from someone with more chemistry knowledge would be helpful.

the 3 formulas (only guestimates) are as follows

White: roughly 70:30 - KNO3:S

Yellow: 65:25:10 - KNO3:S:sodium bicarbonate

strobe: 40:60 KNO3:S (only strobes when in powder form)

smoke ring maker: same as strobe.

Remember these ratios are really really rough estimates and some experimenting for yourself is required.

good luck to anyone willing to take on this challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
the 3 formulas (only guestimates) are as follows

White: roughly 70:30 - KNO3:S

Yellow: 65:25:10 - KNO3:S:sodium bicarbonate

strobe: 40:60 KNO3:S (only strobes when in powder form)

smoke ring maker: same as strobe.

Remember these ratios are really really rough estimates and some experimenting for yourself is required.

good luck to anyone willing to take on this challenge.

the last time I made anything with KNO3:S was the day I learned the smell of SO2 so well I can differentiate it just like i can the NOx in car exhaust

surely you meant with additional meal powder?

The 70:30 mix didn't really light, it turned into a reddish bubbling mass that slowly moved around in it's place until a lump of KNO3 was left over. Adding 1.5 grams of sulfur (it was a 10 gram batch) had similar results.

Actually I think it had about 2-4% meal powder, I didnt think it would make much of a difference.

I have completely run out of everything :( but i have a fair few fireworks ready for a show.

Thanks for trying LGM

Adding sulfur to consume the left over KNO3 didn't help, and adding enough bp to get it to burn resulted in a yellow/orange color typical of bp based stars. The last mix however burned longer and with a larger flame envelope than other bp based stars I have made, I think I'll make some stars with it to see how they look.

perhaps it was in how you mixed it?

certain spots may have had more oxygen than others, leading to the flare ups.