APC Forum

Aluminium powder

pyrogeorge

Part of the manipulation process for any explosive process is to follow practices or common guide lines that protect yourself from becoming complacent in anything we do. Usually a person like propyro who is now cheating a common practice in this case is also cheating elsewhere. Especially when being so adamant to change. Someday the domino effect and/or Murphy's law will catch up to him and you will be reading about him in an online news article somewhere.

If I run into a new situation or I forget some tool or container I may cheat too, but I correct it for the next time. A lot of accidents that occur do so because of breaking little rules like this. If Mr. so called PRO pyro thinks that it is OK for him to be complacent and then post his wrong doings here for others to read,I think we should kick him out because he doesn't get it and he should not be teaching other people that it is OK to do what he does.

I would like to have this guy banned!

Mark

I would like to have this guy banned!
Banned? Perhaps not. We cant tell him the right way to do things if he ain't allowed to speak. Not that i think he will change anytime soon, but one day... Perhaps? I've always been one to nag holes in someone's head rather then just stop talking to them.

B!

I'm not a supporter of a ban yet either, though I hope that "propyro" is able to come to terms with the fact that we can be welcoming and helpful if (s)he is more understanding of what we are all about. If that's the case he or she will have a rewarding time here, if you give it a chance.

Pyropyro, try and resist the urge to retaliate and trust me when I say this can be a welcoming place, if you let it happen.

The diapering method is primarily for very sensitive High Explosive mixtures and for those who are overly paranoid about a relatively stable non HE such as KCLO4/AL.If stored properly which I do IT IS NOT going to spontaneously explode.and I like The glass also because I can see how well the mix is blended and there's no way you can diaper mix mor thouroghly than I can in a closed jar.And if were all honest I would imagine that most pyros store some flash,I'm not suggesting pounds just hanging around waiting to be loaded some day.I'm talking a jar 1/4 full because I felt like finishing another day etc..

Diapering is, in my experience pretty much confined to flash in the firework world, and it is definitely considered the safest effective method (remote mixing aside). While other dangerous mixes in the HE realm may be diapered also, this is not something that I've come across much. Mumbles used Diapering as one example... "via diapering or other methods.". Carefully screening the stuff is possibly the most common commercial method of mixing (though many are not comfortable to do it or recommend it) if remote mixing is not used (which I've not come across a whole lot in all honesty). Both diapering, and screening have nothing stopping you from seeing how well mixed it is. Since diapering and 'binary mixing' (essentially you are dong what many people do in shell cases except in a glass jar not paper hemispheres) both involve tumbling the powder over it's self, your statement that you cannot get as good a mixing with diapering as a glass jar is rather silly. At worse it would simply take more time diapering to get the same result, though assuming the operator is efficient at diapering I'm rather confident that it would be the other way around.

70/30 Flash may be relatively stable, which I am thankful for, but I don't put too much weight on the reliability of your experiments (nor mine). They are good guidelines sure, but I've set the same stuff off with an air rifle, and people have had it ignite in such processes such as a shoe on gravel that had had flash on it.

Ultimately my point here is that flash occasionally ignites more easily than you expect, probably more due to a coming together of several unforeseen factors. What if a bit of grit got in to the thread of your jar? When people do a few tests and decide based on that that they know very well the properties of an explosive, I cringe a bit. There is a vast body of practical evidence here and in the wider international pyrotechnics network. I myself, among with several other members have been hospitalized. People have died. People on here knew and cherished people who have died. You have to understand that it is in this context that people are getting heated when you ignore good advice given.

You know, I am also a pro pyro (assuming your name is referring to your job as a pyrotechnics professional), and I've made tens of thousand grams of flash in single batches. I also know a good deal less than a lot of people on this site. You do too. Even whoever on here that knows the most is learning more, this is why we are all here right?

Edited by Seymour
  • Like 2

Good summation Seymour. Admitting that we can ALL do better is a good attitude. I get a little cranked up when someone with a handful of posts thinks otherwise. I was kind of hoping to hear a reply from him on this since we've spoke. I would have liked to say "welcome to the boards propyro" if he would have backed down on a little. After all, we are here to watch each others back. That's why it's a big deal to me.

Mark

What happens when you get flash in the threads of your mason jar and that one in a million odd of friction causing ignition happens? Or you get a new aluminum that is more reactive than what you are used to. Or you try a new formula. Or your guardian angel runs into Starbucks for only 30 seconds. You have a glass hand grenade going off a few inches from your belly. I've had my arm filleted open from midway between shoulder and elbow all the way to my wrist by a plate glass window. They had to dig around with their fingers looking for glass. And if they do have new technology that can see glass in the body, more than likely lots of small pieces of glass will have perforated most of your organs. A cardboard oatmeal container would be a much better container if you insist on shaking to mix. Have you heard of the binary method? It is required at the PGI and uses the shake method of mixing

It also sounds like you are describing making M80s. If that is the case it only takes one person with a big mouth to have BATFE knocking at the door. And I doubt you have an approved magazine for the storage of flash. That is an easy way to get free room and board for a few years. Well it probably won't be free if you hire a lawyer. This recently happened to a person down here that was actually a member of the local club, so it happens.

When you think you know everything, and can't take constructive criticism, then more than likely you have a lot to learn. When multiple people are pointing things out, then maybe there is something wrong with your process. The people here don't want to see you hurt or get in trouble. We read about it enough as it is, so if we can prevent it happening to someone, then issues will be brought to your attention. It might not always be done in the most polite manner, but it is done in your best interest.

When making flash I screen all the chemicals (except metal powders) together then add about 1/5 the metal powder and screen that together. Then I diaper in the other 4/5. I do this to integrate the sulfur (I usually male thunder #3) and prevent it from clumping right back up after screening. I know people who do KNO3-Al-S flashes usually mill the KNO3 and S together then diaper in the Al. I hear alot about bianary mixing, though I have never tried it. So no, diapering is not the only 'approved' way.

• 3 months later...
Propryo is off his head. He is silly not to listen to all of the experienced people above. He will be the one who gets injured( let's hope not), but he is heading for disaster!

I'm thinking propyro ran off to some basement b#mber site for like minded peeps, since he's been missing for a while. Too bad. There is MUCH to commend this site, particularly for impatient youngsters .

I've noticed a prevailing attitude of self aggrandizement in the writings of similarly minded individuals on this forum, in the few weeks I've been reading. Cock-suredness maybe is a better term, and I weary of it.

Youthful self-confidence is frequently proven to be misguided in most fields of endeavor, occasionally with horrifying results.

I have a beard. When I used to spraypaint in a poor both, even the beard was a problem.....for days afterwards. But I never could force myself to shave. SWMBO always thought the beard covered up some of my face...that's gotta be a good thing!

I mix very little aluminum now, but I sure used to. I'm still not gonna shave, but I sure wilk use a filter fot aluminum. My tiny batches of BP makes me blow black out the ol' schnoz.

Edited by goldwingnut54

• 3 weeks later...

When making flash I screen all the chemicals (except metal powders) together then add about 1/5 the metal powder and screen that together. Then I diaper in the other 4/5. I do this to integrate the sulfur (I usually male thunder #3) and prevent it from clumping right back up after screening. I know people who do KNO3-Al-S flashes usually mill the KNO3 and S together then diaper in the Al. I hear alot about bianary mixing, though I have never tried it. So no, diapering is not the only 'approved' way.

Sure, you can mix it a few different ways. But to my knowledge, the only way that is approved to mix flash at a PGI convention is with the binary method. Mixing flash out in the open by screening or diapering in the manufacturing area will get you in trouble or kicked out. So, according to the PGI, at their conventions, the binary method is the only 'approved' way. Just because you do it differently doesn't mean it is allowed at certain venues.

PGI does have certain rules. You just have to live with them. Just because it's not allowed at PGI, does not mean that it's necessarily a bad idea or dangerous. The people at PGI are just trying to avoid open piles of probably the most sensitive composition we use. Honestly, even if it was allowed I wouldn't want to have a pile of flash in front of me while surrounded by 100 people I don't know or completely trust not to do something stupid.

• 2 months later...
A paper dust mask is better than nothing, but not the best. A half-face respirator is preferable. It's not as comfortable, but offers significantly better protection.

Im a little paranoid so use a full facial. An army surplus Czech M10M to be precise you can get em.off of a certain well known internet auction site for around €25 may seem extreme but military respirators and gas masks are designed for extended wear so are very comfortable. They do limit your view a little right under the nose but personally I've learned to live with it

I don't think military gas masks are comfortable at all... at least the kind I was given in the service wasn't. However when you are in a chamber with a burning CS capsule, who cares if the thing is uncomfortable... CS gas is like 10000 times worse!

I walked around with the mask on and it's hard to even talk 1km, let alone run... yet some people have to run wearing them.

I've found many of the old ex soviet nations make the most comfortable ones. Working in Bio labs I've had to wear them alot. Only problem i had with the M10M was that it pulls my hair a little with the spider. I think the half face masks are really uncomfortable! Also my fiances forced air flow mask wasn't bad but didn't like the idea of electrical components with atomised metal lol

The Finnish Nokia M61 is also really comfy :)

Nokia M61? Does that run on Andriod?

Hope it comes with that Nokia ringtone...

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Nope runs on really expensive NBC filters lol. Same company like i was confused at first

the video just shows a white screen when I hit the play button ?????plays ok through youtube. line breaks are still not working, can somebody fix the issue please ? I've just got a new pc with wind 8 on, so why wont the video play

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I thought that "Al causes Alzheimers" myth was pretty well de-bunked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I thought the current research showed.

Well just doing some reading there are a bunch of people who claim it does but just as many claim it doesn't.

There is no evidence to prove correlation. The evidence so far shows that late-stage Alzheimers sufferers have higher levels of Aluminium ions in their circulation and Aluminium related brain plaque. But there is no evidence that shows that increased Aluminium exposure causes Alzheimers. Bauxite miners have no rates of dementia higher than background levels.

But if you're responsible, take precautions against heavy airborne particulate, and the like then it is right on the very very low end of things that I would consider dangerous in pyro.

Dan read my response to Nater.I've mixed thousands of grams of flash powder in glass mason jars and have made hundreds of salutes,I have tested this mixture in some torturous ways to see just how stable it is.Hey this might freak Nater the hater out I use hot glue to glue the ends of my salutes on high temperature after I insert the kraft paper end plug and fuse after I fill the tube, hot glue works the best and makes the best looking most

professional and waterproof ends.To test the heat sensitivity of this mixture I of course dabbed some on a very minute amount of flash-no reaction so I thought I'd go a little further to see how much heat this flash could tolerate so I took three small little squares of tin foil and I had flash made with three different aluminums:GERMAN black,INDIAN black,and some 6micron eckart of some sort.I put a little bit of each kind in the three pieces of foil probably no more than a 1/4g in each if that much.then I also placed a little wedge of a hot glue stick in the powder of each and baked all three in the oven at

500 degrees for half an hour.When I took out the samples the flash looked the same as before I baked it but the piece of hot glue melted into the mix and

charred a dark brown.MY CONCLUSION........I Know flash better than most, and definitely better than Nater.I think most people are WAY too paranoid

when it comes to mixing flash,I have no worries about mixing 300-400grams at a time IN A GLASS MASON JAR! That would probably have Nater all

puckered up.

Best of luck to you. You are a brave man, much braver than me, and though I wish you the best of luck, I'm not going to be following that technique any time soon, or more accurately... ever. Diapering in old newspaper or light PE wrap seems to be the way to go for me. That said, for what I use it for, magic tricks, it probably requires a hell of a lot less than you, probably about 3-4 grams at a time, rather than 300-400. But nonetheless, best of luck with it.

Shrapnel wounds though, will confine you to an HDU or worse yet, ICU ward for a loooong time, thats if you're lucky, a coffin if you're rolling it at eye level is more likely.

In the United States, Aluminium Oxide is overly used, as a whitener and emulsifier, in the food and drug industries. AN example would be the low fat or calorie, coffee creamer, Coffee Mate or Cremora, (I can not recall which one). The United States Food and Drug Administration, fails in a lot of areas, like allowing Lead Acetate, as the the active ingredient in hair dyes. It is consumer beware here.

I'm not a huge fan of fine Al powder. It's only good for flash, I've found; and flash doesn't lift cardboard rockets, my ultimate interest.

Much more interested experimenting in small quantities with firestarter Mg granules, about 100 mesh. Easy to work with and clean. Far less likely to explode in a compound than fine Al. Works well alongside hexamine, for example.