APC Forum

Ball mill belts

Jwilson

Hello

I have the 3lb mill Chicago electric mill (The one from harborfrieght) and I am looking at getting some replacement belts. I found the site Mcmaster Carr and was wondering if they would have something suitable for my needs. Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the stock belts? Thank you

Large O-Rings of the right size will work, and are cheap.

There's a post or two somewhere here that mentions a fibre-reinforced belt that can also be used, but I have no idea what to search for to find it.

Hopefully, a member will chime in with a pointer to it/them.

Take a trip to Ace hardware and I'm pretty sure its a 5" id o ring. I would say just take the ball mill to the store. Thats what I did and I used to have the same mill as you. They work good but people told me build your own and I highly recommend it. I built mine for around $30.

Yeah my belt broke a few days ago. I am currently looking around at hardware type of stores to find a replacement. If you search you should find a website which sells replacement parts for your rock tumbler (I found a few websites). Though they are American based websites and I rather just find a place here as shipping will take a few days and I need some other belts too.

Would a auto shop sell 'O' Rings?

I have a model B tumbler and just found a vacuum cleaner belt that works check it out

Look at the hardware store for "2L" fractional-horsepower V-belts. They are ~$4-5 but will last *much* longer than an o-ring or vacuum cleaner belt.

Here's an online retailer that has everything that might might need:

McMaster Carr

However, if you are breaking belts, your motor is not correctly sized for the load that you're placing on it. Keep in mind that a rocket tumbler is not meant to be loaded with 15lb of lead.

• 1 month later...
Everyone will encounter problems with the stock 'rinky-dink' belts they give you. Just when your stock one breaks, make sure you order the heavy-duty kind. It's clear and can easily be purchased at pyrocreations.com

• 2 months later...
MODERATOR EDIT: As posted in your other entry, read the rules before posting again.