APC Forum

Need To dispose of a few nasty chems

DeepOvertone

OK,

I've got a bit of a sticky situation on my hands. I have a couple chems that I really need to get rid of and I dont want to take them to a hazmat center. I really loathe the idea of someone poking their nose into my business. I have about 350-500 grams of red phosphorus, 150 -200 grams of iodine and about 200-250 grams of KMnO4. I think im just going to find get rid of the KMnO4 with some glycerine that I have. The other two :( I dont know. I'm trying to be as environmentally friendly and safe as possible. I also want to get rid of some barium hydroxide (not much) I'm thinking it would be best to neutralize it with some acid but I dont know which one. I also have a bunch of ammonium chloride that I dont think I'll ever use. If anyone has a suggestion for that I'd like to hear it. Last but not least I have some silver nitrate that I dont want hanging around either. Please help me out everyone. Thanks!!

Btw forget asking me to sell any of them.

Edited by DeepOvertone

Make an Antiseptic solution from the Iodine (though i am sure there are more usefull things to do with it), Neutralize the barium hydroxide with Sulfuric acid, BaSO4 is as harmless as it gets. For the other things I have no idea.

Just as a small addition... Most of the chems were not stored properly before I recieved them(in bottles in a tool chest). I believe the Iodine may have sublimated and gotten into some of the other chems. So I feel that using them for anything is out of the question. Except for the ammonium chloride... I think its clean. I'll probably dump the sodium hydroxide down the sink as its just caustic soda. Possibly clean out my pipes a bit. Any other suggestions?

Don't throw away the red phosphorous. The stuff is pretty expensive (at least in France). You could sell it...

Caustic soda really isn't something you wouldn't find around the house so I wouldn't get rid of it.

For the Barium Hydroxide, as I said, neutralize with sulfuric.

Ammonium chloride is harmless so if you do want to get rid out if, dropping it down the sink won't do any harm.

For the Phosphorus, Iodine and Permanganate i have no idea on how to destroy them. You could evaporate the Iodine, though the fumes are toxic.

You could make sodium by reacting sodium hydroxide prills with magnesium turnings or powder. I think it will draw some attention though, because it gives a huge cloud of long lasting smoke and a very bright yellow flame.

I would be interested in your chems, some of them are really hard to find where I live.

I'm sorry that people would like to have them. THERE IS NO CHANCE ON EARTH that will ever happen. Sorry to everyone but it would be so stupid of me to give/sell this stuff to people. It needs to be disposed of and that is the only thing that will happen to them. End of story.

I do have some magnesium turnings so I might try making sodium just for fun.

I have about 350-500 grams of red phosphorus, 150 -200 grams of iodine and about 200-250 grams of KMnO4. I think im just going to find get rid of the KMnO4 with some glycerine that I have. The other two 2sad.gif I dont know. I'm trying to be as environmentally friendly and safe as possible. I also want to get rid of some barium hydroxide (not much) I'm thinking it would be best to neutralize it with some acid but I dont know which one. I also have a bunch of ammonium chloride that I dont think I'll ever use. If anyone has a suggestion for that I'd like to hear it. Last but not least I have some silver nitrate that I dont want hanging around either.

I hope you're not forced for whatever reason to leave the hobby :(

OK lets do this, lets render your HAZMATs more safe.

The pound of red phosphorus is a matter of a paper bag, a long visco and a safe place to combust it. No oxidizers, just let it burn off in the open air.

The KMnO4 you can dissolve in a lot of water, then pour in some denatured spirit. The excess water will prevent ignition & runaway reactions, the alcohol gets oxidized to death. (CO2/H2O) Another option would be to do a quick onsite mix with some sugar, and burn it off with a long visco like the phosporous.

Silver nitrate: Dissolve it into water and add a salt solution. Insoluble silver chloride precipitates. It is better perhaps to sell or give away your silver nitrate to a jeweler/craftsman. No eBay shiftiness, just walk in the shop and offer it.

The Barium hydroxide is best reacted with a soluble sulfate salt to precipitate barium sulfate. The fertilizer salt Magnesium sulfate is ideal for this: you get a double precipitation of BaSO4 and Mg(OH)2, neutralizing them both.

The iodine can be rendered less harmful by dissolving it into sodium hydroxide solution.

Ammonium chloride is a fertillizer salt. If its not too much, couple hundred grams, you could dissolve it in water and flush it down the toilet.

Oh absolutely not... I just spent about 500 bux on chems and other things. Even though I have allready explained this... The chemicals were not stored correctly. They were all stored together and I think that the iodine sublimed and got into some of the other chems. Including the RP. AND some glycerin spilled into the bottom of the box that they were all being stored in. THANK GOD that it didnt get into the KMnO4... That would have been disastrous. So some of the glycerine may have gotten into the others. So who knows what else got in/on/around each other and made all sorts of other creepy compounds previously unknown to man. SO..... SAFEST BET... DISPOSE OF THEM.... right? or does anyone think I should keep the unknown/potentially deadly/potentially explosive/certainly not needed chems for pyrotechnics inside my house just because they are hard to find/expensive? I hope for the sake of humanity that everyone agrees that I need to get rid of them.

The iodine will most likely just sublimate away if left open outside where no pets could get to it worst case scenario make a shitload of smaller batches of NI3 and set them up where no one will go near them.....as they dry out they will go off from its own weight. . The red phosphorus as suggested below can just be burned off. I would deffinitely suggest selling the silver nitrate as it is worth a decent amount of money.

also i dont blame you for not wanting to drop off iodine and red phosphorus to a hazmat center or selling them as you will probably have law enforcement called on you for possible amphetamine manufacture. The silver nitrate I would still sell though.

I only have a few grams of the silver nitrate and I dont know if it didnt get contaminated with the iodine. So I doubt that anyone would want a few grams of old/potentially contaminated silver nitrate. I do think that I'm going to burn off the RP. I think I'll make a small super hot charcoal fire and set it on top altough there wont be much oxygen available to it when burning so I may just burn it in the open. Thanks for the help everyone..

Careful with the RP! I have never worked with it before, but keep in mind that the oxide fumes are supposed to be highly toxic...and I'm not sure how fast the stuff burns either. All I'm saying is, that it doesn't sound like something you should just dump on a fire that you are standing right next to... Maybe some distance between you and the burning RP would be good.

I'm honestly not sure if my concerns are justified or not, but I know someone else had suggested "long fuse" as well!

Definitely get rid of them. I highly doubt they are contaminated as long as the lids were screwed on tightly, but those are not chemicals you want to have together in *any* quantity. As soon as you included the sodium hydroxide in your list, it became fairly obvious. :-/

God forbid you piss off the neighbors with a shell/rocket that happens to be above their annoyance threshold and the authorities find those chems together. Get rid of them. Dump each of them in a different dumpster around town and be done with it.

I dont actually know why having both in the same household would be deemed undesireable. I'm guessing it has something to do with the aforementioned drug use? I really have no idea though. Regardless, concerning the RP, I certiainly wasnt going to hang around as it burned away. More of a drop in and walk away for an hour type situation. But i digress.. I havent started this process yet. I think I'll try to do it this weekend.

Red P, iodine and NaOH together are about as suspicious as nitric- and sulfuric acid with glycerin, and about as well known to authorities as saltpeter, sulfur + charcoal to us.

There is a good use for those chems though, if placed in a bag together with some glass bottles, rubber tubing and adhesive tape. If someone *really* pissed you off, hide in in his garage or shed.

A simple phone call and that individual won't bother you for a long time ... :P

Well red p and iodine are both on government watch lists as drug precursors for methamphetamine which is the new big thing as it is homemade in the usa compared to most other drugs which are primarily imported. and having the two with any sort of lab equipment (beakers, graduated cylinders etc) is deffinitely enough for the law enforcement agencies to prosecute you for possible methamphetamine manufacture. because the red p/iodine method is one of the easiest and thus more popular methods used for the amphetamine production. I would never even want to order red p or iodine online just out of fear of suspicion of drug manufacturing.

and putting a bag with the red p, iodine, and tubing and beakers in someone elses house would be a real nasty trick when they get thrown in jail for years when they never even made any meth in the first place. although i wouldn't want it happening to me it would be quite hilarious to do that to someone you severely mislike

Add metallic copper to the solution of silver nitrate. Come back in a few days, and you'll have metalllic silver. Filter, dry, and consolidate the powder with a torch. Nugget of silver!

Those are becoming rare too, and ordering a kilo of pot. iodide will probably get you on the same watch list.

Though I've never made meth and don't intent to, I have 23 items in my posession from that poster.

Hell, there's only a few I do *not* have, Na/K metal, MSN, horse tincture and (pseudo)efedrine pills.

Sorry, slightly off topic:

There was a story in a magazine I read a while back about this professional chemist who was busted for making MDMA (E tabs). He wasn't trying to make them at all. In fact he was trying to make some sort of fly spray and the chemical composition was so simular that he did manage to make a batch (accidently) of MDMA - they put him in prison for 2 years. Lost his job, house, everything all because of someone wrongly informed the police about him. Would be very careful about advertising the red phosphorus.

I have had the police visit me a couple of years back after I bought potassium perchlorate!

Well thankfully I dont own it anymore. I went through and cleaned and inspected all of the chems. I kept what was useful to me and disposed of all the rest. I did end up keeping the iodine because you never know when you might need it for something. Anyway, thanks for all the ideas and help everyone. Especially thanks for the warnings regarding the potential drug charges.