APC Forum

Engines

mormanman

I am trying to figure out how to run 2 inline sixes in the same car. The hard part is the transmissions.

Please don't say its a stupid idea b/c I get that shit all the time. I know its not going to save me gas but it doesn't need to. Its going to be a track car and thats it.

Another thing, does anyone have anything to say about running the engine off acetone? I know the fuel lines have to be completely redone. I'm thinking about using steel tubing. If you know of a polymer that would work feel free to share.

I know that it will be expensive but I have two other people helping me.

I'm not try to be rude but if you are going to talk down to me and tell me that I'm an idiot please hold your tongue. I'm not an idiot, I'm a dreamer.

Thanks.

Do you want to run them inline or side by side? I seem to recall an episode of "Monster Garage" where they built (I think) an army tractor puller with two turbocharged willeys jeep engines, I think they used V 6's, inline (made it quite long BTW) and coupled them together by attaching a sprocket to each crankshaft, butting them together flush and looping a length of extra wide roller chain around both sprockets, kinda hard to explain but maybe it helps.

Having been involved with stock car racing in my younger days, I was wondering why a six? The group I was involved with ran cars with sixs and eights. The sixs would get the rpms up quicker and get the jump on us V8 people but in the long run we would run them down with just brute power. The six cyl. peple would also have to run much higher rpm to generate the same amount of power and had to be rebuilt more often.

This does seem to be an interesting concept though, run 12 cyl. when you need the power and 6 for crusin.

I wonder... if a transaxle setup...front or a true posi rear end... might not be a solution... gear ratios may need changing, but drive the output shafts, and take the power out the former input.

This should allow for slightly differing engine RPM- which is gonna be a MAJOR deal to overcome with a direct linked system- or so I'd think anyway. The differential gear setup in the aforementioned systems may very well account for this.

I'm curious to know where Acetone ranks, compared to Alcohol and Nitromethane. If it were a viable fuel, I think it would already be in use. Or at least most draggers/stockers would know about it.

I suspect it's too volatile and would self-detonate during compression, but that's just a (very) unscientific hunch.

Wow, so many replies.

I want a 12 cylinder pretty much and they with but setup side by side.

If anyone wants to draw something up feel free.

Richtee, what is a transaxle setup? I'm google-ing it.

Thanks very much guys.

The inline option is to join two engines with a large sprocket on each and a double row roller chain bridging the two. The side by side option is to bring borh engines out to a spur gear and use those spurs to drive an output gear.

The two troubles with both arrangements are 1/Starting the assembly -you are expecting both engines to start together and off one starter control. 2/ Making sure the carburation and ignition as balanced to ensure that each engin contributes to the output power in a matched way.

It would be seriously easier to find a sitable V8 or V12 engine with one fuel and one ingntion system controlled by one management system.

Custom made gearboxes are NOT cheap.

I like the two transaxle idea, one for the front and one for the rear, RPM's won't matter then, just speed. Or you could possibly run electric. With electric there is no mechanical power transmission to be synchronised, just a couple of generators feeding electricity to the battery/motors, like a train.

Went to the junk yard yesterday and Ford inline sixes all over the place. I was there looking for a 4 barrel Holley Carb for my friends Birthday. Not much luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly, you the project you are looking at will be a massive undertaking just to have a "v12". If your only goal is to have twelve cylinders, you can pickup BMW v12s on ebay in the 1000-2500 dollar range pretty commonly.

If you are looking for power, it's hard to beat a turbocharged LS1. We've been near 1000rwhp on stock aluminum blocks and stock cranks with forged pistons and rods. Iron block guys are going even higher.

Really I'm doing it just to say I've done it and to see if it will work. The idea has pretty much calmed down though but whenever I get older with a house and kids I'm going to do it. Opps forgot the wife. :ph34r: Still I think it would be fun and no one at the car show would have one.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how they do it in Tractor Pulls?

I'm thinking about going to a tractor pull and talking to them about it. I read that ford did something similar in a GT90. They cut the piston walls on two V8 and attached them that way. I was something like that.

Does anyone know how they do it in Tractor Pulls?

I'm thinking about going to a tractor pull and talking to them about it. I read that ford did something similar in a GT90. They cut the piston walls on two V8 and attached them that way. I was something like that.

Here is a link to a company I used products from when I was mud racing.

That have the multi engine connectors plates but I would bet they are testy!!

http://www.scsgearbox.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=113

• 4 weeks later...

Unrelated...but on topic...sorta heh... I know a few of you are accomplished machinists... you especially will appreciate this!

327 Chevy... kinda!

Unrelated...but on topic...sorta heh... I know a few of you are accomplished machinists... you especially will appreciate this!

327 Chevy... kinda!

That is some kind of dedication to a project!!!!

Growing up as a kid, my dad used to build racing small blocks for the Artgo and ASA series in Mn and Wi. I was fortunate enough to learn a lot about the rare small blocks during these years and remember the 327-365hp well.

I can see from the photos that he made the correct cylinder heads (Camel Back) without any accessory holes, the famous 461 castings. The correct exhaust manifolds, valve covers and the old style alternator bracket that bolted to the manifolds.

The attention to detail is incredible.

Brings back memories of my 67 Z-28 302 motor that I have in my Mud Truck that loves 8,000 rpm's and a healthy dose of Nitrous!!!

Again, that is some fantastic work.

Fido

This is actually a very very difficult thing to get to work right. One of the biggest problems you are going to run into is matching the power output of both motors. If one is going slightly faster than the other you are going to damage one of the motors or possibley destroy part of the drive train. And as someone said above tubrocharged 8cyclinder.....you cant really get much better than that for a street car. You can hit over 1000hp easily if you put a good set of heads and run enough boost and have enough displacement. You dont necessarily need an LS1 unless you are a chevy guy any 8cylinder thats 350 or bigger will do the trick. also morman man you didnt need to say like three different times for people not to make fun of you.....thats almost asking for someone to make fun of you just cause you said that. Edited by FrKoNaLeaSh1010