APC Forum

Non-toxic "traffic light" BaSO4 Green.

jacob

Name of composition: Barium Sulfate Metallic Fueled Star.

Composition Type: Star.

Creator: Troy Fish (I think)

Color/Effect: emerald green with slight yellow/orange spark trail.

The Composition: (by weight)

Barium Sulfate 35

Potassium Perchlorate 30

Parlon 20

Magnalium, granular, -325 mesh 10

Red Gum 5

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: Contains a Sulfate, do not combine with Clorates.

Precedure/Preparation: I got this from Passfires formulas and it says to bind with 50/50 acetone/alcohol, but I used just acetone straight from the can, you could also use MEK for a longer workability time, and could probably drop the Red Gum if not useing alcohol (I left it in)

I made (roughy) 3/8'' cut stars and primed them with 85/15 Meal/Mg/Al (not sure on the mesh size, I think it was about 40-60)

However these take fire very easily and I suspect that prime was overkill.

This is a very good Green IMO and seems comparable to Emerald green which I've also made.

EDIT. here's a movie of a mine made with these green stars, but unfortunately they look white and washed out, they look much better in person.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_0872.mov

Sounds cool! I might try it soon since I've got some BaSO4 lying in my chems cabinet.. ^_^ It's far less toxic than Ba(NO3)2 since it's (nearly) not soluble in water.

Yeah that's another reason I like it, if you do try it please let us know your procedure and results, I'm interested in what others think of this formula.

Even from the video it does look like a pretty good green. I mean, the stars themselves do look washed out like you said, but the area is clearly being illuminated in green (in other words, yes I believe you when you say that the camera just didn't capture the full color :)).

I'm messing around with some greens as well, but I am at somewhat of a purchasing freeze (except for essentials). So, I'm trying to develop an organic green based on Barium Carbonate and Ammonium Perchlorate, since they are materials I already have. My initial experiments showed that a good green may be very possible. When I have something that is useable I'll report back (hopefully next weekend)!

Don't they have patients drink barium sulfate slurries for diagnostic imaging? :lol: Must be pretty safe to ingest, at least. I like the concept of safe pyro both in terms of toxicity, and explosion/fire. Strontium carbonate and barium sulfate both are high on my list for safety.

The smoke from all these might still be pretty bad, though, as the barium and strontium will be changed from it's safe salt to some potentially toxic species. Still, I like the concept very much. Thanks for the formula.

Don't they have patients drink barium sulfate slurries for diagnostic imaging?

Indeed they do, it's used as an X-ray contrasting agent for the digestive tract as it's not absorbed into the blood stream.

Wow I didn't know it was THAT safe LOL, sounds like the Barium is about the safest thing in there.

Sometime I'll have to compare it with a Barium carbonate green, if I do I'll be sure to get a video.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive made several batches and thought the color was pretty good no where near as good as the emerald green though.

The last batch i made I ran out of the acetone alcohol mix i was using and grabbed the water spray bottle to finish. absolutly ruined the green color came out a yellowish green with the accent on yellow not a real pretty color. but it was differant anyway.