APC Forum

130 year old "Workshop Receipts" book

Yankie

I think that would be worth alot, considering it has HE's in it, that's pretty sweet.

They must of had some sweet workshops back then if that's the stuff you did it in. 130 year quote "i think ill finish with this pottery and then make a batch of NG!"

I have no idea what its worth, but i think it would be worth it if you scanned it into a nice PDF.

Wow! What a find! Where did you stumble apon that? I wouldnt sell it if I was you. Then you loose bragging rights:D

Wow that's an amazing book... What a find.

If you truly want to sell it, you can probably get hundreds to thousand depending on the rarity of that book. Possible more :blink:

Cool book! But what's with all the Imageshack bullshit pop-ups and crap? Sheesh!

Love the leather binding and embossing. Great find!

Fred,

Please scan that book if at all possible. If you've got a nice camera (besides your camera phone) and tripod, even taking a picture of both facing pages will often give enough resolution for modern OCR software to read the text. Old practical receipt manuals like that are becoming increasingly rare finds these days. It would be very unfortunate to lose that book through natural disaster or some other circumstance beyond your control.

Yeah I was thinking the same. 20 pages a day perhaps?

Hmm, thats a shitload of scanning, and if I were to scan it would it decrese in value as it is availiable online? Or should I sell the pdf file on ebay or similar?

Its not that much scanning.

No it wont decrease in value people don't buy the book for information just like people don't buy antique vases because they look pretty, if that was the case they would buy cheap replicas that look identical to the real thing.

Does anyone know what this book is worth or know someone who does?

The best way of finding its value in my opinion is to take it to PGI and show it to some of the more experienced people and ask their opinions.

Pity I'm from Australia. I wish there was a PGI in Aus.

• 2 weeks later...

Please scan it and turn it into a PDF. Really, the book won't lose its value because of that and many people will be able to enjoy it.

Do it for the greater good.

A 130 years old pyrotechnics book would soon be lost forever. Scan it and take a 19th century book into the 21st century.

Immortalize it online. I did it to some old books (non-pyro) myself.

A similar book (which is still available) is "Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Formulas, Processes and Trade Secrets"

..."A Valuable Reference Book for the Home, Factory, Office, Laboratory and the Workshop, Containing Ten Thousand Selected Household, Workshop, and Scientific Formulas, Trade Secrets, Chemical Recipes, Processes and Money Saving Ideas for Both the Amateur and Professional Worker by Gardner D. Hiscox (Hardcover - 1938)

Amazon.com search link

Everything from Face cream to Mercury Fulminate to Malted sodas. Fun read...my mom got it for me for my 12th birthday (many moons ago)...how cool is that?

• 1 month later...

Fredbert,

Someone on the PGI list gave out this link for selling or buying old manuscripts.

http://www.maremagnum.com/

If you still have that book, you might check out the site. Personally, I wouldn't trust any hits on Google for books with the same title. You never know what your PARTICULAR copy is worth. Yes, it might be worth only $50. Then again, it could be worth a lot more depending on the Edition, year printed, yada yada.

Good luck.