APC Forum

Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics

Jwilson

Greetings. I am interested in pyrotechnics and after a few years of searching and reading all forums/blogs/ebooks that I could find I am finally amassing tools and materials to begin. I finally feel confident enough start but before I go beyond simple mixed kno3/sugar smoke and very rough green powder I would like a copy of the book Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics. I have purchased a Passfire membership recently and have been reading everything on it. Before you tell me to order from skylighter (which I would like to do) know that I live in Canada and they do not ship up here. I was wondering if anyone had a copy they would be willing to sell me. Thank you very much for your time. (If this is in the wrong section please accept my apology and move it to the proper area)

This section is fine.

That book is a "must-have" for beginners, in my opinion. Many people have gotten past that initial stage without it, but I believe they would have better off with it. I had a copy of IPP, but sold it to someone very much like you.

That said, if you really HAVE been researching for a period of time, and if you take careful notes on all you read here and on Passfire, you might not need it. Read the tutorials here, read all the safety threads, and everything you can digest between this site and Passfire. (Avoid rec.pyro like the plague,)

If there is a Pyrotechnics Club anywhere near you, that is also an excellent place to start.

Good luck, and welcome to APC.

You won't go wrong with this read. It gives good information on the basics which a lot of other books asume you already know, especially with manipulation. Now that I have it I don't think I could ever seeing myself parting with it.

So I'll second The Sidewinder

I wouldn't sell my copy either, but after just checking on Amazon.com, I am tempted ! My God... best price is like $144, that is over 3 times what it's worth. Has it become so hard to find since Skylighter quit shipping overseas ? Even from Harry, it's $52. I am a supporter of copyrights, but there comes a time...

I wouldn't sell my copy either, but after just checking on Amazon.com, I am tempted ! My God... best price is like $144, that is over 3 times what it's worth. Has it become so hard to find since Skylighter quit shipping overseas ? Even from Harry, it's $52. I am a supporter of copyrights, but there comes a time...

It's silly, really. I assume it's currently out of print? I'd like a copy myself, but dang!

Well, it's not out of print, per se, and Skylighter doesn't have a monopoly on distribution rights, as far as I know. They MIGHT be printing and binding it in-house, but I don't think so. In any case, royalties are being paid to the author for each copy sold.

Harry does seem to be the only one currently offering it, though. This might be something an entrepreneur should look at. The author is still alive, last I knew. "Tom Peregrin" is only a nom de plume. I don't know his real name off the top of my head, though I have heard it somewhere.

I have a copy I might consider selling, I'll have have another look at it and think about it. I did get it a little late in my pyro career, so I had already learned (the hard way in some cases) a lot of what was in there.

I have a copy from Skylighter. It is spirol bound, not a bad job and actually a good format for a workshop or lab. The price is definitely high, but the knowledge it contains is excellent. My first BP was made following his CIA method, and it worked very well. I am still using that 500 g batch for mines, star-gun lift, etc. It definitely got me going.

Have you asked skylighter if they would ship only BOOKS to Canada? Maybe they'll make an exception.

Well, I was on the fence as to whether this was a good book to purchase or not, but after reading the posts on here, I ordered my copy of IPP from Skylighter last night.

Looking forward to getting it.

Amazon is usually pretty good with prices, but those prices on there are out of control!

Swede makes a good point.

jwilson, have you asked Skylighter whether they will ship a BOOK to Canada?

If they won't (or can't), I suspect it's because Canada is almost as paranoid about pyrotechnics as our government has gotten lately.

That is an excellent book for beginners. I have loaned my copy to many people. Minor detail but the formula for my favorite glitter W13 is misprinted in it. Shows sulfur is 17 when it should be 9. There's antoher misprint but don't remember off the top of my head. Will look it up when I get it back, currently loaned out.

"Tom Peregrin" is only a nom de plume. I don't know his real name off the top of my head, though I have heard it somewhere.

Dan Dolata

***DELETED FIRST PARAGRAPH ONLY***

Chemistry of Powder and Explosives -Tenney L Davis is searchable on ebay and in www.abebooks though copies sold as antiques may go over price.

Do some searching for ISBN numbers and order that mumber from your local bookshop.

MOD EDIT: Deleted your first paragraph. Don't post any more such hints about piracy. Thank you.

Edited by TheSidewinder

That is an excellent book for beginners. I have loaned my copy to many people. Minor detail but the formula for my favorite glitter W13 is misprinted in it. Shows sulfur is 17 when it should be 9. There's antoher misprint but don't remember off the top of my head. Will look it up when I get it back, currently loaned out.

Here is one that frozentech posted and I experienced myself from 1/27/08 in the newbie posts;

"I agree that it's an excellent beginner's book, and a nice read for any pyro. One caution though... On page 55 of IPP there is a lance comp listed as McLain Violet which was a learning experience ! This comp is how I learned that Ammonium perchlorate *will* react with Magnalium. I recommend beginners avoid this one comp."

That was a fun time!

Mark, Chemistry of Powder and Explosives is out of copyright. Tenney L Davis passed away in 1949.

I only deleted the first paragraph, which contained some illegal hints about acquiring IPP. I've edited it to make that more clear.

*another vote for buying that book.

the first night i got it in my hot little hands i read it cover to cover. it's perfect for someone like myself who's just starting to get his lab together and cutting his teethe on some simple beginner projects.

IMO, it's well worth the investment.

If you want a book that has an ISBN then it is likely available by that ISBN through your local book dealer.

You can sometimes find the ISBN by searching abebooks and ebay and in-store search engines.

Your book store is unlikely to have problems getting stuff from their suppliers, The USA Pyro suppliers do have problems exporting, so to minimise the problems they do not export.

Is anyone in possession of a copy willing to post the ISBN in this forum please?

I should have my copy Tuesday. I will check inside the book then, however, just in case this helps, here is what I found using a little Google-fu:

Introductory practical pyrotechnics

By: Tom Perigrin

ISBN-10: B0006RBRRM ISBN-13: N/A

Publisher: Falcon Fireworks - 1999

Spiral-bound | 198 Pages | Sales Rank: 1685567

Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.8 x 0.6 inches

Only problem is, I don't know what the differences are in ISBN-10 and ISBN-13. A search for the ISBN-10 did little good. So, I will repost when I get the book.

Well, I received my copy of IPP today. Looking forward to diving in. However, I now may know why I had such a hard time finding the ISBN online, there isn't one in the book. I noticed this to be the case with home publishing books, such as those from Firefox as well.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mark, Chemistry of Powder and Explosives is out of copyright. Tenney L Davis passed away in 1949.

I checked Amazon for this book, and there appears to be a wide variety of offerings... there are two volumes. Some of the older hardcovers are both volumes bound and offered as one book. One of these in like new condition (1956 printing) is offered at $175. Another, looking pretty ratty, offered at $50. I bought that one. ;)

There are modern reprints in paperback of both volumes, and also paperbacks of only chapter 3, pyrotechnics. I'm vaguely suspicious of these modern reprints, probably for no real reason. I'm sure they have all the original material.

Anyway, right now on Amazon if you want the entire volume in original hardcover, it's a cool $175... and only one of them is being offered. ouch.

I deleted frogy's post for the time being. I am no longer positive it is out of copyright. One of those situations with extreme amounts of intertwining laws. It depends on if they filed a renewal on the book, which I doubt, and which set of law precidents apply. Playing it conservative would be 70 years after the death of the author, which is the most recent precident, and that would be 2019