APC Forum

Barium Nitrate syn?

Richtee

OK..I'm fairly ignorant of chem equations and so forth. I got "C"'s in the 2 classes I had to take 20 years ago... Anyway, I have the sulfate. Can the nitrate be made from it fairly easily? Nitric acid reaction?

Thanks for any replies from those more versed in chem.!

OK..I'm fairly ignorant of chem equations and so forth. I got "C"'s in the 2 classes I had to take 20 years ago... Anyway, I have the sulfate. Can the nitrate be made from it fairly easily? Nitric acid reaction?

Thanks for any replies from those more versed in chem.!

I 'm not sure if the sulfate will work. Barium carbonate is easy to find (pottery supply stores) and can be made into nitrate with nitric acid. There is a lot of info here:

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1061

Be very careful though, you are mixing a strong acid with a toxic powder.

There is also atleast 1 other thread on this. UTFSF.

There is also atleast 1 other thread on this. UTFSF.

Searched... did not see. Link? Or acronyms is all ya got?

I'm pretty sure that this is the thread ASB referenced. And there was no need to be rude about it.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2310&hl=

And before anyone takes umbrage, our search function is outdated and quirky. This software version doesn't support the "+Barium +Nitrate" format, while pretty much all new Forum software does including the upgraded version we're going to implement.

You have to search for "Barium Nitrate" (dont use the quotes, though), increase the time window to 180 days since it's just over 90 days old, and search all forums because it isn't in this one, it's in Miscellaneous -> Newbie Questions. Furthermore, it's on page two.

It took ME three tries to find it, and I think I'm fairly forum-savvy. So let's all just cool off and remember that we're here to help each other, hmm?

Well... that wasn't addressed at you. I should have worded it differently.

But I expect that this be the end of the general sniping from everyone.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Barium nitrate from Barium sulfate? Oh its possible alright if you're willing to go through hoops to get it.

Mix BaSO4 with charcoal. Put it in a crucible and cover the surface with charcoal. Now apply some sincere heat, to glow out your reaction:

BaSO4 + 4 C ---> BaS + 4 CO

Copious amounts of carbon monoxide being evolved, which is poisonous. Then you are left with Barium sulfide, Also poisonous.

BaS can be dissolved in nitric acid, evolving lots of highly toxic, extremely foul smelling hydrogen sulfide gas. What you are left with is a solution of Barium nitrate. Filter, evaporate to dryness, then recrystallize to purify.

But really, get some Barium carbonate instead. No glowing, no foul poison gas, clean and cheap.

Check Out

WWW.Consolidated-Chemical.com

They sell it might save ya a bunch of time and maybe money the stuff is pretty cheap....

Check Out

WWW.Consolidated-Chemical.com

They sell it might save ya a bunch of time and maybe money the stuff is pretty cheap....

You've made three total posts, and in each one you've advertised the same supplier.

Do you have a financial interest in this company?

If so, this Forum isn't for advertising your products.

If not, you're spamming posts with useless information. Supplier information belongs in the Supplier Review section.

Two of your posts have been deleted since they had nothing whatsoever to do with the thread in which you posted them. I'm leaving this one only as an example of what not to do.

And in any case, read the rules, since it's apparent that you haven't done so.

Do you have a financial interest in this company?

Yes, infact he's the owner, he posted about the same thing on rec.pyro a few days ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pyrotec...84947bb9131f49#

I don't mean to be rude "Dave the mad Scientist" but (in my eyes) you really need to lower your prices to have a shot at any market other then "kewl b**bers" come on, $22 for 500g of Perc?

Thank you for that link.

After reading the entry on rec.pyro, then doing a bit more checking on my own, it's obvious you're shilling for your own company, Dave.

You now have a warning. Behave yourself from now on, and you're welcome to participate in this Forum. Fail to do so, and you will be shown the door.

Where there is a snake, The Sidewinder points and the soldiers back, the evil crumbles from the heat seeking slurry and then the pit stays intact to further venture it's quarry!

Nice job to TS & J

• 4 years later...
I thought I'd make barium nitrate, then realized its pointless because its not that expensive (even reagent grade, skylighter's price is cheap compared to what chem shops sell them for) and no sense exposing yourself to dangerous acids to make barium nitrate. Not to mention, nitric acid is kinda expensive and if you live in a restrictive country, chances are you can't get nitric acid.

You really needed to bring up a post from 4 years ago to say it's not worth making yourself? Really?

Is there a rule or custom against that?

If it really bothers you why not set the board to lock any thread that hasn't seen a post for more than 3 months?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Don't think there is any rule or custom about such things ,

Just a case of it being irritating reading inane comments like "I thought I'd make barium Nitrate....then realized it's pointless"

Pointless post for sure.

Seeing as this thread has been brought back from the dead, I had a good read through it and thought I should add that Barium Chloride is very easy to make with dilute hydrochloric acid and Barium Carbonate (which you can get from pottery suppliers by the kilogram).

Same process, just add the barium carbonate carefully to the acid until no more bubbling occurs, pour the solution through a coffee filter into another container (barium carbonate is insoluble, the barium chloride will be mostly dissolved in the water produced by the reaction) and evaporate the water off.

One thing to note is that pottery supply barium carbonate often has a few impurities in it. For what we do they don't make much of a difference luckily enough. It primarily contains some amount of barium sulfate. This is insoluble in HCl, so it is filtered off. It however often contains barium sulfide, which produces H2S upon reaction with hydrochloric acid. Not that I'd ever recommend doing chemistry with barium indoors in the first place, but you should definitely make sure to do that reaction outdoors or somewhere with excellent ventilation. Hydrogen sulfide has a nasty property of only having it's characteristic odor at low concentrations. As it becomes concentrated to dangerous levels you are unable to smell it anymore, which can lead to very hazardous situations.

I do everything outside, usually with a respirator (mainly for acid fumes), but thanks for mentioning that because quite honestly I was unaware of the hydrogen sulfide fumes at high concentrations thing2mellow.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Making barium nitrate with pottery grade barium carbonite and nitric acid is quite easy. The sulfate/sulfide smell is immediately detectable when doing the reaction. Even the crystals of barium nitrate can stink when dried. I think a recrystallization would take care of that. I never bothered, just used it as it was. Edited by Bonny

Making barium nitrate with pottery grade barium carbonite and nitric acid is quite easy. The sulfate/sulfide smell is immediately detectable when doing teh reaction. Even the crystals of barium nitrate can stink when dried. I think a recrystallization would take care of that. I never bothered, just used it as it was.

The main contaminant of ceramics grade barium carbonate is barium sulfide (the source of the bad smell in the proceedure above). The sulfides of barium in pottery grade barium carbonate can be removed but the process isn't simple (PM me for detailed instructions). By converting the barium carbonate to barium chloride, it can be made into barium nitrate by exchanging with potassium nitrate in the formula:

BaCl2 + 2KNO3 -> Ba(NO3)2 + 2KCl

I have laboratory processes for purifying the various components used in the process; and if followed accurately will yield respectably pure products. It's not easy, but definitely possible!

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Would the solution need to be heated to get the exchange to complete , or would merely room temp be enough to do the double decomp? I take it, temp being reduced would allow your salt to fall out of solution ... wink2.gif

• 9 years later...

I'm interested in trying to make barium nitrate from the sulfate. Yes I can just buy it, yes starting with the carbonate would be easier but I find it interesting :)

Heating the barium sulfat with charcoal should make BaS.

BaS and HCL should get us barium chloride? And a lot of H2S.

Would BaS and ferric chloride yield barium chloride and a avoid a lot of H2S?