APC Forum

Basic resister Wattage problem.

p_y_r_o

Hi

I'm making a marx generator and i was wondering weather two 500 killer ohm 0.5 watt resistors could be used in place of a 1 mega ohm 1 watt resistor?

• 2 weeks later...

nop you cant

if you put them in paralel you can get 1W while it will be 1\R1+1\R2 so you dont get the right resistense

but if you put them in series like chaplin sayed you can get only 0.5W

and 1 M ohm...

Would you mind to refrain from teaching bullshit?

Each one is built to dissipate half a watt, so how much can two of them dissipate? ONE WATT!

For a Marx it hardly matters what value you take, as long as it is not so low it discharges the caps before all spark gaps trigger, or so high the upper caps don't have time to charge.

Since you won't be able to reproducibly build 500V or 1000V spark gaps, due to the high voltage per stage series connection is preferred, otherwise they can short. Half watt resistors are rarely made for over 300 volts (but break down at several times that).

BTW he was right, once you get to 20 kilovolts per stage (like my 200kV unit that only puts out crappy 120kV due to bad construction), you really need KILLER resistors! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Would you mind to refrain from teaching bullshit?

Each one is built to dissipate half a watt, so how much can two of them dissipate? ONE WATT!

For a Marx it hardly matters what value you take, as long as it is not so low it discharges the caps before all spark gaps trigger, or so high the upper caps don't have time to charge.

Since you won't be able to reproducibly build 500V or 1000V spark gaps, due to the high voltage per stage series connection is preferred, otherwise they can short. Half watt resistors are rarely made for over 300 volts (but break down at several times that).

BTW he was right, once you get to 20 kilovolts per stage (like my 200kV unit that only puts out crappy 120kV due to bad construction), you really need KILLER resistors! :lol:

:unsure:

what is

refrain , and im not teaching bullshit .... what i sayed is true and what he needs to know

the second paragraph i realy didng understood

i realy dont know what is this MARX i just ansered the question

Snow: You need to use better grammer. ALL of your posts look like crap. Please capitalize, use punctuation and form sentences.

And refrain means to stop.

חח סנו מה קורה אחי? זה ליברמן..

My English & your's are the same, but I'm using a dictionary http://milon.morfix.co.il/Default.aspx.

I know my message deosn't related but I know snow from the israely pyrotechnic forum and I don't want that some of us will make the

Israely pyrotechnic community to look bad ;)

חח סנו מה קורה אחי? זה ליברמן..

My English & your's are the same, but I'm using a dictionary http://milon.morfix.co.il/Default.aspx.

I know my message deosn't related but I know snow from the israely pyrotechnic forum and I don't want that some of us will make the

Israely pyrotechnic community to look bad  ;)

ליברמן לא היתה צריך הרבה לדבר כאן בעיברית הקטע כאן זה אנונימיות

ושהמשטרה אם היא תגיע גם לכאן לא תגע מי ישראלי ומי לא לחפש...

sorry about my grammer :unsure: i will try to write better next time

Does this look like a fucking hebrew forum. No disrespect but speak fucking english on an english forum. It was created by english speaking people.....english is the picked language so that is what you use. If you wanna speak hebrew go back to ur fucking israeli pyro forum.