APC Forum

Ball Mill Bunker

BLAST420

Today I receied my ball mill & I live in a resadental neighborhood soo I thought it couldnt hurt to build a BALL MILL BUNKER!!! Just incase at least most of the energy would be directed upward!!! :) Just more controlled!

[pictures removed at request of the user]

That's a start. But you need to get it deeper by a fair bit.

Basically, if it blows up, you don't want any part of it to be able to fly in a line less than about 75 degrees from the horizontal. More would be better. i.e. You want it to blow UP, not OUT. For added safety, you could add sandbags around the mouth of the hole.

I'd also get rid of that bright orange milk crate. It's a bit too noticeable. Try very thin plywood or a piece of styrofoam panel to cover it.

And one last thing. You said you live in a residantial neighborhood?

You are almost certainly violating a number of State and Municipal Laws by milling BP in proximity to inhabited dwellings. I'd think very carefully about that, if I were you.

If you draw no attention and never have an "incident", you're still guilty though yu might get away with it.

And if you do have an "incident"? The law will crawl up your ass to a degree you wouldn't have thought possible. Just fair warning.

Are you saying when milling BP that an "incident" is common or does it even happen? I mean theres not really a great risk is there?? I remember reading in one of the thread mumbles had said he know its a "no no" but he mills INSIDE at times. so I figuered these steps were more than enouf. I am only going to me milling no more than 200g with this specific setup. I also wet the mixture every once in a while but I dont think it does much!

The risk is minimal if you use suitable media, I remember reading something where they blew up a ball mill (it had lead media) and most of the media didnt budge.

An "incident" is anything from a mill explosion (which happens SO rarely that most people simply don't worry about it), to drawing the attention of a nosy neighbor who calls the cops.

After either of which they show up anyway, with warrants, the media (who will immediately label you a "bomb-maker"), and various other unpleasantries.

And dampening your mixture *slightly* can help, but it's something I never personally do. You'll get differing opinions about that, though.

I bury mine several feet deep, layer above it with foam, then put a few plywood boards and sandbags. If it did blow up, it would only sound like a firecracker.

At present time I can only mill about 100 grams at a time. I mill inside, but in the next couple months I should be getting a full shed to myself to use as a workshop and I'll be using the dual drum rock tumbler so Ill probably sandbag it or something to be safer.

I bury mine several feet deep, layer above it with foam, then put a few plywood boards and sandbags. If it did blow up, it would only sound like a firecracker.

wow several feet! I dont know how easy it would be to dig that deep how you get down there?? Take a ladder down? :blink:

lol its like 3 feet deep, I lay on my chest to lower it, I dug it with a shovel, lined it with plywood, and filled the gaps behind the plywood with dirt. Ta da! best milling bunker ever.