APC Forum

Problems concerning ball mill

Stinger

Hi

I am a bit angry about my ball mill.

The problem is that the roller which has a tube, and this tube is normally glued in the motor´s metal stick.

But after a time , it is not sitting tight anymore so I have to fix it every time.

I tried tape, fiberglass tape, hose with hose clamps, hot glue AND EVEN EPOXY RESIN,

but it still doesn´t work.

So I have to watch my ball mill turning and if it is loosen up, I have to repair it, which is really really nasty.

Every thing on my ball mill is perfect,only the motor gets hot after 1 1/2 hours .

So I wont change anything great at it

The ball mill itself produces very good BP,

it is extremely fast for a short milling time (1-1 1/2 hours):

5g unconfined willow BP, corned

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ksGHxVNFJis&feature=related

So what can be done to fix this problem?

I would be really glad about some advices :)

Stinger

Perhaps try gluing a rubber band..like a strip of inner tube...to the jar itself. Do away with the tube on the shaft.

you are quite unclear on what your problem is.....I beleave I may be able to help you but try to be more descriptive or posting a picture of your particular setup would be of great help if you want a suggestion!

Stinger, if your motor gets hot, it is not rated for continuous duty, your extension cord is too long, or the wire inside the cord is too small. Please post a picture of your mill so we can get a better idea of how the motor connects with the roller.

Another possibility with the motor is it could be a fan motor. I use a barn fan motor on my mill. When used as intended is has constant airflow for cooling. In my case I use a seperate fan to cool the motor while it is running, except when using outside in winter (-20C and colder) there is no need.

I had to add a fan to my ball mill too, and it is one of those Hobfir mills from eBay. The construction is very nice, and it does a good job, but that little motor gets screaming hot, and it concerns me. I can always replace it, and I may just to that, with a DC motor and speed controller.

HI :(

Now the ball mill is totally useless.

I tried glueing the roller´s tube to the motor shaft, that didnt work,

so I only push the tube onto the motor shaft and pressed the the tube with a plier to the shaft.

BAD, very bad.

The tube got a crack, so I was forced to replace it.

It is pretty bad, beause on the tube are damaged ball bearings to center the steel roller,

those are glued in with epoxy.

So I had to smack down all the epoxy out of the steel roller, resulting in a a bloody mess

It´s the friggin third time I am doing it.

So this method is a NO NO.

I will use pulleys to run the rollers.

How can this be done?

I would be glad about a few pictures from your ball mills.

Stinger