APC Forum

Relay Prime

hst45

My goal was to create a prime that would reliably transfer fire from a BP based outer prime to a chlorate based star. Step-priming works of course, but I wanted to isolate the sulfur-containing BP or tigertail primes I use from the chlorate or Perchlorate based color cores with a layer that had zero sulfur. The result is my relay prime #3

70 KNO3

15 Charcoal (coarse)

8 fine Al, (blackhead works great)

5 redgum

3 spheroidal Al

2 dextrin

1 boric acid

bind with 75/25 water/ethanol

The math majors among us will see that in fact these are NOT percentages, they are amounts. They came about from trial and error, from adding the spheroidal Al and boric acid.

I've used this intermediate, "relay" prime to transfer fire from a tigertail outer layer to a killler blue core that is a bitch to light. (video to follow soon, ....hopefully).

It's possible that fine shellac or even charcoal could replace it as long as the redgum isn't being used to bind it. Never hurts to try a small batch.

• 4 months later...

umm, you say transfer fire from a tiger tail outer layer to killer blue i do know how good this looks the stars is burning blue but not leaving a blue tail but leaves a tiger tail the way

i achieved this was by acident i acidently got 0.3g or 0.4g of german dark al into a 200g batch of tiger tail i said stuff this im not going to throw the 200g batch out so i ball milled

for 3 hrs i made into stars pumped and im like wtf and than i remember i got german al in them there amazing the stars burns nice blue and it leaves a orange tail

Well someone is full of shit. That makes no sense, and wouldn't work. .2% Al will make nothing burn blue. If anything it might slightly brighten the tail to an almost unnoticeable degree. On top of that, probably not the best idea to be milling aluminum period, even though I significantly doubt you actually did this.

You're almost down to the level of Mormanman in my book.

do you think that the red gum can be substituted with anything?

One of the best substitutes is pine rosin. I've found it to more available than red gum. It usualy comes in chunks, at least if you buy it from a hardware store, so milling is in order.

Edited by Chris

umm, you say transfer fire from a tiger tail outer layer to killer blue i do know how good this looks the stars is burning blue but not leaving a blue tail but leaves a tiger tail the way

i achieved this was by acident i acidently got 0.3g or 0.4g of german dark al into a 200g batch of tiger tail i said stuff this im not going to throw the 200g batch out so i ball milled

for 3 hrs i made into stars pumped and im like wtf and than i remember i got german al in them there amazing the stars burns nice blue and it leaves a orange tail

Congratulations. You made my fucking teeth itch.

Read this thread, and specifically section #6:

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48