green mix

TT and D1 Glitter Stars

D1 Glitter Comets

sulphurless BP

Al powder -325 mesh

lift, granulated

2 liters 98% H2SO4

2 liters 30% HCL

1 liter 35% H2O2 (no it's not for AP, I prefer to make my own metal powders on demand)

70lbs scrap Cu

20lbs scrap Al

35lbs scrap Zn

1 50lb drum wholesale mixed hardwood charcoal (30 dollars! they were going to throw it away!!)

tech. grade KNO3, half used (took a whole year, mostly smoke devices, just recently got into the bigger stuff as I was slowly acquiring the supplies to last a while)

1 30lb bag of sulfur, dusting, 90%

acetone

ethanol, nearly anhydrous

2 hand held chemical extinguisher

1 stationary homemade extinguisher (breakaway shelf with 20 gallons water held up by rope over work area)

ummm... I'm fairly sure I'm operating within legal limits although input is appreciated

so whats in YOUR lab?

You didn't mention a magazine, so...

If you live in the USA, and your IP Address indicates you do, at least some of the items you're talking about require a Federally permitted storage magazine unless used within 24 hours of their manufacture, and there's no getting around that. Period.

If Mumbles or CplMac sees this thread they can provide more details, but what I said is basically correct.

Edited by TheSidewinder

soooo...edit?

its humid as hell here these things dont dry in 24 hours they dry in 3 days!

what are the required specs for a magazine?

obviously outdoors away from structures, but what else?

Yes, I edited to clarify that those are US regulations.

"Manufacture" isn't complete until they are ready for use.

But that "grace period" been abused by some, and the Feds have had little to no patience with those who do.

Magazine regulations can be found in "The Orange Book", by the ATF.

Local and State regulations also apply. FAR too many variables to give you a concise answer. Quite honestly, your best bet is to find a local pyro who has had to do it, and ask them.

small aside for clarification...by "ready for use" does that mean in completed devices?

I already know the 100g max for consumer/amateur devices

That's a good question, and I don't know the precise answer.

As to your editing.... well... maybe that's a good idea. Make it ambiguous.

I have a what if question. If I were to make a shell just the shell no lift charge is that complete. Does it need the lift charge for the device to be complete? And what if its 1.4 g or above, does the same 24 hour rule apply?

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading somewhere that any pyrotechnic device manufactured by you is automatically class B.

Yep, anything, no matter how small is automatically at least class B. It needs an approval thing to be class C. You could make black match and it would be considered class B. Test burning a 1/4" star is still class B. I should probably stop saying class B and call it 1.3g, as it is the more appropriate name.

The adding of lift charge is kind of where the abuse comes in. TECHNICALLY, it's not complete, but I wouldn't push it. Just like if you have a shell, but don't add a quickmatch leader, technically it's not finished.

Interestingly enough all the raw materials for class C devices are class B until assembled, and then they are class C and can be stored as such, IE no magazine. The lift, burst, and stars all must be stored in magazines though.

im kinda half and half but it seems like a good idea... I thik in the morning when I can think I'll make a thread in (insert proper forum here) regarding legality as I have no seen it. it would be good to know all the little nuances to keep ourselfs safe and legal.

also... as it is, drying, I need a magazine? yet completed, in a form considerably more dangerous in the event of murphys law its NOT needed?

wtf, I NEVER fuse something till im ready to use it.

lastly, my TT CRACKLE!! and they arent even dry! is tath supposed to happen?

off ot bed