APC Forum

2 1/2 Shell

superman1451

This was my first shell using flash as burst. The shell was super glued together with no other reinforcements.

Only superglue? I'm guessing it was a plastic shell then? Looks pretty good but it seems like you didn't use enough stars for such a wide effect. There's too much empty space in my personal opinion. :ph34r:

But nontheless a good shell! :D

Yep, it was a plastic shell. The reason for not enough stars was that they were too big. More like 1/2 in when I should have used something smaller.

Thank you.

Looked pretty good. There are commercial shells that use larger stars for that spider kind of effect instead of just filling shells with smaller stars for the classic peony effect. One thing you might want to tweek a bit is the timing. It looked like it was still moving upwards at a pretty good clip when it went off.

For this shell I used an inch of 1/8 visco which burned at 3 seconds an inch. I'm thinking for future shells maybe 3 3/4 seconds.

3 seconds an inch? The visco that I have burns slower than that and I use 3/4 an inch for my 3 inch shells with a delay of 3 seconds. You might try wrapping the visco in a turn of paper tape to prevent early ignition. Basically just make sure that only both ends of the BP core are exposed and not the lacquer part. I had problems with sporadic timing until I started doing that and it fixed it.

I'll try the wrapping with tape when I build some more. But I didn't feel like I had sporadic timing with all my shells. They all got about the same height.