APC Forum

Stearic Acid

Swede

At the local Hobby Lobby, I was in the candle section to pick up some paraffin wax for rocket nozzles. I found the paraffin, and I also found a pound of Stearic acid, fairly cheap.

I know stearic acid (wax) is used in pyro, especially for coating reactive metals, and also in a few comps. Any suggestions as to uses for this stuff? I did buy a pound - I couldn't resist.

Anyway, if you need stearic acid quick, a DIY candle place may very well have some. Apparently it is used in homemade candles... for what, I don't know!

It can be used to ball mill aluminum foils into flake powder. Shred your foil as small as possible (cross-cut paper shredder), then add 5% stearic acid by weight, and 100% of the weight in mineral spirits. Mill in an optimized ball mill with steel media for 30-36 hrs to obtain 30µm or smaller flake powder. This material will be comparable with american dark.

Stearic acid is also used as a fuel in some lance compositions and older blue star formulas containing paris green.

How much was it, if I might ask? Artstuf has it for like $2/lb in 5lb increments.

I wonder if milling MgAl with it would make for a finer particle? Also, might it be suitable for coating brake turnings?

If its going to be a coating the fine metal powders it would make it safer to ball mill them and decrease the chance of them becoming pyrophoric. So it is probably worth it from a safety standpoint.

How much was it, if I might ask? Artstuf has it for like $2/lb in 5lb increments.

I wonder if milling MgAl with it would make for a finer particle? Also, might it be suitable for coating brake turnings?

It was more than $2/lb, more like $4/lb, but no shipping because it was right there. It was one of those surprising moments when a known pyro chemical stares you in the face, innocently packaged for candle-makers. You simply MUST buy it. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

For MgAl, how fine are you trying to get? I have milled to easily pass 250mesh (finest screen i have), but quite a bit was floating out of the container so much finer.

For brake turnings, I seperated into -20+40, -40+60 and -60+100, then coated with linseed oil after first washing with mineral spirits.

In each case, gotta love that shaker mixer I bought for sifting!