APC Forum

Lampare shell

FREAKYDUTCHMEN

Well it's quite easy to build, but after all it took about 3 hours. I don't think it takes more time when you do this alone or with your buddy.

Thats was lovely!

Im about half done with my first "traditional" lampare. Im just putting off making all the flash.

Two questions:

1. How much flash did you use?

2. What kind of mortar did you shoot it from?

1. 110 grams 70:30 flash (KClO4:GD) and some titanium. Maybe less is possible, depends on the wallthickness of the container i guess.

2. A stainless steel mortar, but I think a glassfiber mortar will do also.

It was a 1 liter coca cola bottle that fitted very tight in a carton spiral wound tube. If it doesn't fit tight enough then you can use expanding insulating foam. I used hot glue to make shure the bottle stays in it's place and no flash powder could leak.

post-4-1211134633_thumb.jpg

Was there any sort of padding or filler used on the bottom of the shell? Normally I see the use of several disks, or an inch or so of compressed saw dust, clay, or some other inert filler. I think the rationale is to give a very solid base to lift from to prevent flower pots. If one of these goes off in a mortar, the mortar, and any mortar close to it is toast.

• 3 years later...
Wood 4/5mm or hardboard, something like that will do. Even thick (or multiple layers) greyboard will do the job I think.

Grey board is approximately the same as chipboard. Grey board seems to be more of a European term. I don't know if they're exactly equivalent, but I do know that you can successfully make lampares with chipboard disks.