APC Forum

Nitrates vs Carbonates

justanotherpyro

Star formulas use SrNO3 and SrCO3 for reds, BaNO3 and BaCO3 for greens, and CuO/Cu(II)O and CuCO3 for blues. This is mainly a discussion of the pros and cons of each. Whether it be a chemical analysis of the reaction, personal oppinion from use, availability, cost etc...

This just goes off of my personal preference, from my normal stars. I like SrCO3, Ba(NO3)2, and CuO. I just think the other ones give a paler color. Though, Sr(NO3)2 in ruby red MgAl stars is simply breath taking. I guess it would depend on if it is organic or metallicly fueled. Nitrates are better in metal fueled ones if you ask me. Nitrates should theoretically give better colors as they can partially be used as their own oxygen donors, and thus have higher metal percentage.

Copper I am still on the fence. I really don't have a good star for this yet. From what I have seen, CuO are just more blue. CuCO3 tended to be kinda purply, or washed out.

A combination of nitrates and carbonates give the best results IMHO. If you go with straight one or the other, you might get a better burning comp but a pale or cruddy color, or vise-versa.

You just have to experiment a whole lot to find the proper balance of each. I do have a sneaky suspicion that the use of carbonates might not be as widely used as they are now, just because of other, better color imparters.

There are so many other compounds that can give beautiful colors than just the ones mentioned.