APC Forum

Dextrin

pyrogeorge

I found this corn flour in super market and it write on it that it consist of 100% corn flour.Can i make dextrin or i must use the white powder cornflour?

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6936/dsc00275kf8.jpg

I'm not as sure as Bonny. It might be corn MEAL, a finely divided cereal product. If the powder is already yellow, I'd be suspicious. True starch is white or nearly so.

So if the material is not ultra-fine powder, like talc, if it has grit or texture, I think it might be corn MEAL. If it is soft, talc-like, and white, it might be starch.

Give it a try! You can't hurt anything. can you get a close picture of the powder in the bag?

Just, as a side note, it dosen't have to be CORN starch, I use Potato starch I find in sthe supermarket, and it works fine, actually it cooks much faster than corn srarch, IIRC.

That looks alot like Corn meal to me, is it gritty at all?

yes.. :( so i can't make dextrin with this??

Pipipi, it's corn meal, as Jacob noted, dried and ground whole corn kernels. It'll make a yummy corn bread, at least! :lol:

I'd be amazed if your grocery stores don't have some sort of starch. Corn and potato starches are used in cooking all the time. Look for the word "starch" and I'm sure it'll be good to go. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure and someone might correct me but I don't think flour is the same as starch regardless of the plant it originates from. Maybe it's a matter of labeling for food products but cooking corn flour will never make dextrin.

I've been on a scavenger hunt for SGRS for several months. After hitting every Asian grocery store in town and buying numerous bags of rice flour and starch, I can tell you they are not the same.

I finally found a source for real SGRS but that's a whole different thread. ;)

I'm not sure and someone might correct me but I don't think flour is the same as starch regardless of the plant it originates from. Maybe it's a matter of labeling for food products but cooking corn flour will never make dextrin.

As far as I know corn flour and corn starch are the same. It is only the corn meal that is no good. I've cooked corn flour from the grocery store into dextrin several times with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys might just be confusing terminology, as far as I know,

In the USA corn starch is called corn starch.

But in other countries corn starch is usually called corn flour.

Bonny you're in Canada correct?

You guys might just be confusing terminology, as far as I know,

In the USA corn starch is called corn starch.

But in other countries corn starch is usually called corn flour.

Bonny you're in Canada correct?

Yeah i'm in Canada. Up here it is called corn flour. The first time I bought it at the grocery I asked a nice old lady where the corn starch was and she said the corn flour I had been looking at was the same.