APC Forum

Reinforcing mortar

mike_au

I have just gotten my hands on some cardboard tubes that I intend to use as mortars.

Both tubes have similar wall thicknesses (I could bend them by jumping on them, but I can't damage them by hand).

The smaller one is about the right size to take a toilet roll sized shell, and this is the one I intend to start with.

By coincidence, the ID of the larger tube is the same as the OD of the smaller.

Should I use the larger tube to reinforce the smaller or should it be tough enough on its own?

If I do reinforce it, could I just do the bottom half/quarter or should I do the entire length?

I would prefer to keep the second tube to use as another mortar when I move up to larger shells, but if it is going to be safer to use it to reinforce the smaller tube I am happy enough to do that.

I didn't have time to take measurements this morning, if this question is pointless without actual numbers I will put them up this afternoon.

Pictures would be the most helpful I think but you should definitely use the smaller tube in the large one. Where did you get them? that would be a big clue how strong they are, and squishing the weak side or bending the strong like a pillar?

but in the end I wouldn't use anything that requires reenforcement unless the benefit is obvious like a press or a giant fountain

If you can't damage them with your hands they would be good. Well I would use them. But in the end if you screw it up no matter how much you reinforce it, it would probably blow up.

Pictures would be nice. Just going off what you described.