APC Forum

Metal Lathes

WarezWally

That particular 3n1 has a *tiny* swing (which can limit toolpost positions and all kinds of crap!) and miniscule power. The next size up looks beefier. Check use-enco.com they have some chinese machines too..

edit: f'r example.. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=5980 is one HELL of a lot more machine than the little one you posted. At 473 lbs (Shipping weight, machine is probably like 375) there is probably a fairly solid machine in there. Toss in enough swing to turn something... I seem to recall a catalog listing that mini 3n1 machine at like 119 lbs shipping weight.. there's simply not enough iron there for a solid machine.

What do you guys think?

Please reconsider. I'm a newbie with pyrotechnics but I've been a machinist for 20 years. I've worked with (and yes owned) 3:1 machines. My Smithy was a boat anchor, a total waste of money. The mill head IS A SICK JOKE. You will be much, much happier with a normal lathe and a drill press. When the day comes when you need a mill, then it'd be time to buy a separate milling machine.

The 3:1 mill head's ability to do decent work is severely limited.

All right. But what about a used lathe? Like a normal one but used.

If you can find a used lathe (for a good price) then all power to you. You really should learn a LOT about lathes before considering used, you need to know how to determine if it's worn out, what kind of parts it might need, what accessories it needs to have with it, etc. If it takes change gears, does it have them all? Old lathes are a *bitch* to find parts for. But an older american made lathe is a fine piece of equipment.

You pretty much won't find one smaller than 10x36 or so, however.

I know a little bit about lathes but probably not as much as a lot of people her. I'll look for one and then post back.

One of the better values in used American lathes is Clausing. Almost always priced well below a comparable South Bend, which has a name cachet like "Starrett." If you can find a nice Clausing 10" or 12" lathe, it'll probably be a good buy. Logan also mades some fine lathes in smaller sizes. Hardinge and Monarch both made excellent "tool-room" lathes in 10" or 11" swing, but they are costly and in high demand.

Browse eBay to get an idea on prices. If you don't know a lot about lathes, tread cautiously, as it can be difficult to know what to look for.

Here's Grizzly's lathe selection.

Their 7 X 12 is like any other mini-lathe, except pricier. The 9" lathe, same deal. There are factories in China that make these machines, and you can find the same lathe in different colors (and prices) from different dealers. If you can find one of those 9" lathes gently used, it'd be perfect for Pyro tooling.

Get a feel for what those basic smaller models look like, and when you see one in an advertisement, you'll be able to say "yup, that's the same lathe" and then compare it price-wise with other dealers.

Anther good lathe if you can find a used one would be a Colchester. I beleive they are made in UK, but there should be some around.We had several at the machine shop I worked at years ago, though not as nice and deluxe as the Meusers, very good machines and easy to use.