APC Forum

1" Starmine

Brakkie

I figured I'll post a vid from a while ago here as well. This competition needs some more vids :lol:

Some specs:

Cardboard Mortar

ID: 3cm (1,2")

Wall Thickness: 3mm

Lift: 4 grams H3 Pulverone

Composition:

Lancaster Chlorate Silver Pumped

56.00% Potassium (Per)Chlorate

38.00% Aluminium

6.00% Dextrin

Prime:

Miech's Superprime (I had to give it a name)

75%..........PotassiumChlorate

25%..........Charcoal

10%..........Magnalium (75 to 100 mesh I'd say, comes from Czort)

I've been very pleased by the stars accept for the fact that they seem to jet quit badly. I still got a bunch of these laying here that I'll shoot in a 3" mine. I'll use a tad more lift there and on my next batch I'll roll them on some cores to prevent this from happening.

• 2 months later...

Looks good, quite some oomph for a 3cm starmine. Simple compositions, good results. (bit scary though, that chlorate)

Are you sure these stars even need priming? I mean they are basically a chlorate flash with some dextrin, should light like a charm.

Are you Dutch like me?

They didn't light without prime, so I suggested to prime some lift composition with 10% magnalium added in the stars. The aluminium used was aluminium bronze from Czort, I would say something between 200 and 600 mesh stearin coated flakes.

is the 3" starmine, it felt like an earthquake. The camera didn't pick up the low frequencies really well, but listen to the echo and you can imagine how loud it was.

And yes, we're dutch.

I just whipped up a small batch a couple days ago and these DO seem to light like a charm! As sad as it sounds I ran out of my dextrin so I was only able to use 4% instead of the 6% "required". They're still plenty hard. I just laid a star on 0,2 grams of pulverone and lit the pulverone. The star catched fire immedietly. Also just a quick touch of a propane burner will do the job fine.

Can't wait to shoot these as a shell and see how they perform in the sky.

Miech that was freakin amazing.

Could you please give us the name or whole composition of the stars you used, and the amount of lift?

Dit was baie goed gedoen.

Dit was baie goed gedoen.

What's that? South African language or so? :P

Too bad the stars are jetting! I think you should use more fuel, gives more tail and I think it wouldn't jet that much.

@iclazion: That 3" starmine was mine. It had 160 grams of stars and 30 grams of H3 as lift. The composition is in the first post of this topic.

Composition:

38.00% Aluminium

6.00% Dextrin

@Freakydutchman: No matter what ammount of lift you'll use these stars will continue to jet. I've blown up so many 1" mortars to try and solve this problem by using more lift. I'll follow Miech's (I think it was...) advice and roll these stars on a core next time. That should solve the problem. B)

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

this is my first attempt to make colored star , results personaly were pretty good ^_^ all 5 vere load into 1'' starmines, last two 1'' shells

@iclazion: That 3" starmine was mine. It had 160 grams of stars and 30 grams of H3 as lift. The composition is in the first post of this topic.

Composition:

38.00% Aluminium

6.00% Dextrin

@Freakydutchman: No matter what ammount of lift you'll use these stars will continue to jet. I've blown up so many 1" mortars to try and solve this problem by using more lift. I'll follow Miech's (I think it was...) advice and roll these stars on a core next time. That should solve the problem. B)

I wasn't talking about the lift. I know that wouldn't do the trick. Your star composition is just not the right one. Maybe you could try 50:50:5 or so.