APC Forum

Wyoming Firefest 2008 PGI Convention

tentacles

I just paid my dues and convention fee - is anyone else excited about this year's convention? This is going to be my first, other than getting to watch the grand public display at Fargo last year.

Frank, have we got hotel reservations yet, by chance?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asilentbob

• tentacles

• psyco_1322

• fredjr

I'd love to, but it is quite unlikely I will make it this year. I made it to the opening show/weekend last year. I didn't exactly have a badge, so I had to sneek around. We shall see how my work schedule turns out, maybe I'll be done in time, but I have my doubts.

If I can't find a carpool from texas... I just don't know... might have to find someone a state above or so... drive to their place... park... then carpool with them... Nothing is set in stone for me... just ideas.

I really do want to go though. Really. I have many shell/header ideas I want to try myself and as joint efforts between others and myself.

silentbob: You should post on passfire, I know guys are already announcing their travel plans and looking for carpoolers, etc. Get the word out early while there are seats available.

Someone should make up some APC badges for those of us who will be there. Maybe just some laser labels that say APC - <alias>. I could grab a couple sheets of labels here at work and print em up. Or I could laminate some badges, get all fancy. We have a laminator here too.

Unfourtunatly I do not have a passfire account yet... Some day... I know how great it is... but really I need to try to focus on other things now... and If i got a passfire subscription... The first thing I'd try to do... would probably be read through all thread past and present... that would just eat up way too much time...

Closer to the date I might request for someone to post for me... I just don't know...

Probably the top concern would be them being fine with me taking a big hefty plastic storage tub full of containers of chemicals... a ball mill / star roller assuming i finish it... some fuse... maybe sporting grade GOEX for lift... and tubes, hemis, gummed kraft, strapping tape, etc...

The best possibility at this point IMO is carpooling with some licensed guys I know in my area who take a ATF approved trailer. This way I could also make inserts prior to the event saving a lot of time for making shells of shells and such. However... Last I talked to them they didn't seem too hot on the idea of going to the next convention as it is so far away... we'll see...

I think I might be there the whole week, I will have to do some bean counting PDQ! The Super Duty @ 7MPG will be so much fun if fuel hits $4 a gal. But the camper on the back will help once I'm there.

I'm debating putting the camper shell on the truck and driving out with a mattress in the back. Its only a 7hr drive, but man with gas prices and taking the time off the work, its all up in the air.

Was going to go cheap and camp but with all the stories about annoying flies, decided to pay the $100 a night for a motel. I just got my reservation. That's twice what I paid in Fargo last year but oh well. Where else can I see 24" shells? I'll be in the rockect and shell manufacturing area most of the time. I'm not going to compete but will be making a few 12" shells and at least one 16" to take with me.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tinyurl.com/668yf4

Yet another reason to be in a pyro club. REALLY big shells.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Just mailed in my registration. I still don't know how I'll get there. But damned if plains and mountains and many many miles will stop me from getting there.

So yeah about now I'm really wanting to know if anyone in Texas is carpooling or would like to. (Or anyone who could maybe be picked up on the way there)

I think I might be there the whole week, I will have to do some bean counting PDQ! The Super Duty @ 7MPG will be so much fun if fuel hits $4 a gal. But the camper on the back will help once I'm there.

"if"? ;)

I won't be going this year. Hell, money is so tight I dropped my PGI membership. I may have to drop my WPAG membership down to a Newsletter-Only account as well.

Whoever IS going, hoist a cold beer and light a hot shell for me. (Though preferably not at the same time. :D)

silentbob: Post to the PGI mailing list - hopefully someone there will hook you up. I've seen a few requests and offers posted there since I joined but don't remember any from Texas.

"if"? ;)

I won't be going this year. Hell, money is so tight I dropped my PGI membership. I may have to drop my WPAG membership down to a Newsletter-Only account as well.

Whoever IS going, hoist a cold beer and light a hot shell for me. (Though preferably not at the same time. :D)

Yes it should have been when. It did not take those bastards long at all. I wonder what the rest of the game plan is.

And that's right, because of the price gouging SOB's I'll stay home and drink.

I can hardly wait for this Blogging thing. You mod masters might be zapping the hell out of me if I don't watch what I type. I backspaced 3 comments here alone! <_<

Oh, I think any Moderation of the Blogs will be restricted to simply covering our collective asses, in a legal sense, and preventing any real looney tunes from getting in the door. Other than that, a Blog is a Blog, and I think many people here have seen what's out there already. Your personal Blog doesn't have to have anything whatsoever to do with Pyrotechnis or Chemistry either, if that's what you want to do with it. Mere words take very few resources. Attached pictures or files will count against your total allotted space, of course, but that's about it.

Im up for having name tags. APC logo on top and user name on bottom sounds good.

As far as going, I have not got to sending in the papers yet. Im basically waiting to talk to my friend and see if hes willing to fork out for it. If no Ill be riding solo.

Bob I will post on Passfire for you. If all else fails, my buddy doesnt come through and you dont find a ride, ill have a open spot in the truck.

^Do remember that the Passfire forums move very fast! Threads will either die or explode in a partial days time. Though the forum isnt really built for such high traffic IMO. So reading through 10 pages may only be a weeks worth of discussion. You gotta keep watching them if theres something interesting being discused.

Swede: Officially, yes, but you could email Robin at the PGI and ask if you'd be allowed to join the PGI now and attend the convention. Or you could call her - the phone number is on the convention page on the pgi website. IIRC they will generally allow you to join later than June 1 and attend the convention.

"PGI Membership PRIOR to June 1st is required to attend the PGI Convention. Convention registrations will not be accepted from anyone who was not a PGI member prior to June 1."

I would suggest calling her and talking to her. It would probably be more effiecent in your part. Plus it keeps it off the record ;)

I agree. Contact Robin ASAP; there's a good chance that you can squeeze in, especially because of the lower attendance this year. Contact her before the end of the week. I'm fairly certain that the only reason for the deadline is to keep the mailing schedule for the monthly bulletin/convention registration form on target and not create a situation where they have to mail out a bunch of extras. You can get the membership registration form off the PGI website, and Robin (or a few members here I'm sure) can email you convention registration form.

If you need sponsorship, PM me.

I have a rather important question that I haven't found an answer to. Is there registration needed to reserve a camping space for on-site at Gillette? I had been told last year that there is no danger of running out of tent camping spots there since there is sooooooo much space. BUT I still don't know for sure if I have to pay a fee or something to get a spot reserved. Maybe its first come first serve?

I just don't want to get all the way up there and then be denied camping on site.

I see RV registration and rent a tent stuff on the camplex page, but nothing about bringing your own tent and camping there.

Anyone?

ASB,

At this point, with time running short, I'd call Robin Cleveland directly and ask her. If she doesn't know the answer directly, she'll know who does.

Thats really weird, I had scoured that page before and couldn't find it.

Much thanks!

On another note, the board of directors has waived the requirement that your membership be up to date by June 1st 2008 in order for you to be qualified to attend the convention,  so if you did not renew your membership and still want to come to convention, or want to renew your membership to continue your support of our defense of the hobbyist pyro, please do so at your earliest convenience.  We look forward to seeing you in Gillette.

Tom Sklebar

1st Vice President

Pyrotechnics Guild International

• 4 weeks later...

Well shit...

My ride for PGI fell though. Her boss is closing shop and shes not going to have enough money to go...

SOOOOO If any of you guys are PGI members in Texas OR states above Texas that I would have to drive though to get to the convention... AND your registered for going to the convention... Lets consider working some carpool idea out.

I'm basically shitting bricks here. MUST figure something out. I'll be posting this to a few lists and such.

20, male, Cedar Park, TX

PM, reply here, or email me.

email is screenname(@)gmail(.)com