APC Forum

PVC casings

Frozentech

I always regarded commercial pyrotechnics to be relatively "safe" , as in not do anything unpredictable, and trusted the pros to make these things as safe as possible (the company isn't doing a good job atm)

But something does seem kinda strange, a commercial smoke bomb made of 2 FEET of PVC pipe. To be honest i doubt this was really a commercial smoke grenade, seems to me more like a home made device, can't say for sure though.

I just saw this on Passfire forums as well, A well respected member there that works for a company that makes smokes and such says it was a commercial device, made by www.flamelesssmokegrenades.com

His website is down, coincidence?

Two feet does sound like a bit much, but I think they made custom smokes, and you know how the media blows stuff out of proportion.

FT, I think that article says it was bought online.

Certainly two feet long is bigger than anything I've ever heard of for smoke.

It -according to the report- was bought online. What it doesnt say is whether it was a licenced factory that made it or someone's back shed. Have to say I dont trust online pyro for this reason.

Long devices fail if -when flexed- the pressed grain fractures, then there is too big a surface area for regular burn rate and an explosion occurs. Long fireworks are vunerable.

Will an official report with the facts ever appear in the US? Newspapers are not noted for technical accuracy.

I just saw this on Passfire forums as well, A well respected member there that works for a company that makes smokes and such says it was a commercial device, made by www.flamelesssmokegrenades.com

Yeah, Ken *is* "Mr. Smoke". His company (he owns it) is Lightning Pyrotechnics, they make smokes for air shows, parachute teams, etc. I wish he had a web presence, I've seen pics of competition jump teams using his stuff, gorgeous spirals of brilliant smoke.