APC Forum

Hints and tips for Australians

mike_au

I'm not all that experienced, but so far I like the lighter and thinner fuses, such as the 1.8 mm you mentioned. Being 0.070" which is quite a bit smaller than the more common 0.093" / 2.3mm, it gives you some flexibility in its use - if you are making small rockets, smaller mines, cakes, and such, it let's you sneak it through holes the larger stuff won't pass. Still seems to have plenty of fire, for all I'd ever want to do.

Water-proof vs. moisture resistant? I think I'd be more concerned with resistance. Being waterproof is fine, but if the regular stuff seems to shrug off dew and maybe some raindrops, that's good enough for me. Maybe you could give it a thin coat of NC lacquer if it needs help.

Yeah, I really don't have any need for water proof fuse, I just think it looks neat when they do the demo sticking the fuse in the glass of water.

I guess the ability to pass through small holes will be more useful than being water proof, so I will go for the 1.8.

I prefer the big stuff myself - the 1/8" (3mm). FrankRizzo can attest that it burns like all hell. The stuff is at least as hot as good flying fish fuse, the only problem I've had with it is keeping the fire contained when using it as timefuse. There's a couple of videos on here of shells where you can actually see the visco burning as the shell goes up.

Are there any benefits other than being hotter?

Since fuse is a little hard to get and I am on a budget the longer roll is preferable. I haven't had any problems getting things to ignite with BM (I assume that the 1.8mm would be at least as good as BM?).

There are other advantages, but none that really necessitate the think over the thin. Small plastic shells are fused for the thick stuff, but that is easily remedied by masking tape or aluminum foil. I personally like the thick stuff better, but the thin is fine too. If you're just going to be using it as a delay on shell leaders, and cakes and stuff either will be fine.

http://auspyro.com/osc/index.php?cPath=1

Found that posted at UKpyro.

Nice. Finally a Aussie supplier. He's prices seem a bit expensive, but you would save on shipping. If anyone knows the guy running the shop, could you tell him to try and sell Perc (If it is legal).

Also if any Australian has any internet sites (pyro related of course) that are from either Southern Asia or better yet Australia, Please post them.

I should point out here that no pyro related chemical is illegal to own (exception ammonium nitrate)

warezwally, are you saying i could have kno3, kclo4, al, mg, sulfur, charcoal and anything else and it would be completely legal?

Strictly speaking, yes

But you can still be charged with intent to manufacture explosives and all of that other crap that goes with it. But for mere possession, no - there are no laws restricting ownership of most chemicals.

There are quite a few things that are prohibited but you should never come into contact with them (schedule 3,4,8,9 drugs & Poisons) normally.

It is a state by state thing, but I'm reasonably sure that all states include fuse in their definition of "dangerous goods".

In WA that means a trained and certified person can make a written application (after paying the necessary fees) to the Chief Inspector, who will then look at your transport and storage plans, possibly demand a sample of the stuff to be imported, possibly demand to inspect your storage facility and then if you provide a good reason he might give you a permit. (Dangerous Goods Act 1963)

So yes it can be done, but it isn't easy and it wouldn't be cheap.

fredbert, If your mum thinks fuse is a dangerous good, Email customs and tell them you want import some fuse for Amateur rocketry or something along those lines, and If they say "OK" show the email to your mum. She may still be against it, but its worth a try.

Failing that you could always wait for a South Australian to purchase some fuse and then purchase it off him?

If I consider buying it your fee would look like this Fuse + postage it cost for me import it + shipping fee to you (shouldn't be much because we probably live near by).

• 2 weeks later...
There is a company in NSW called "Aldax" that sells Al powder for cold casting (mix metal with some sort of binder, pour it into a mould and you have a "metal" statue without messing with hot things).

http://aldaxstore.com.au/c/145843/1/metal-powders.html

Looks intresting has anyone bought their Aluminum and found uses for it in glitters.

Warezwally you mentioned you had a supplier of 250 mesh Aluminum powder for about $20 per kilo, are you talking about Aldax?

If no one has bought their Aluminum I will try it.

Also auspyro.com has some more chemicals and some items such as ram rods and he may be getting Perc according to the forum! .

Sorry for the double post.

Auspyro is looking like it might be a very valuable resource. I would hope that they sold perchlorate, copper salts and chlorine donors. I would love some colour, even though i have only made a few things my mum and dad are wanting colours haha.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know a good source for tubes that don't charge a fortune for shipping?

I am looking for 3/4" ID for 1lb rockets.

thanks!!

~Milky~

I believe so, I picked some up not long ago from a fiberglass + casting place. I doubt it would be as fine as the paint stuff but they didn't bat an eyelid.

You can also get it from ebay and amps.

The Aldax Al is 300mesh. It works fine for every comp I've tried it in.

Here is a company that sells fuse, they are Australian based and I have bought 3 rolls without any trouble. However, the shipping was about 60 bucks so it probably has to be HAZMAT'd.

http://www.forbesws.com.au/Pricelists/BPA.htm

Has anybody had any luck preparing some chlorates/perchlorates? I've got a batch of sodium chlorate sitting in solution now - all I have to do is extract it and I'm ready for colours.

If anybody would like to chat my email is cyberstalker_92@hotmail.com

EDIT: Does anybody know about the legality of that auspyro?

brok3n: What sort of fuse was the stuff you got from forbes? Someone was telling me they got some from another firearms place and it was closer to thermalite than visco.

I bought a rifle from forbes a while ago, he didn't seem to be the friendliest person but he was extremely quick to get everything sorted and shipped (and I was probably being a little impatient) so I can't complain too much.

I believe auspyro is pretty much in the clear because the chemicals themselves are all legal, but if they grow too big I get the feeling they might get shutdown. It's one thing to be legal, it's another to spend the money to prove it in court.

brok3n: What sort of fuse was the stuff you got from forbes? Someone was telling me they got some from another firearms place and it was closer to thermalite than visco.

It is thermalite. I will take a picture tomorrow and chuck it on here. I just dealt with him through email, goods were shipped very fast.

uh oh auspyro.com is broken, hopefully its just a website problem and they havent been shut down.

does anyone know whats happened?

would it be illegal to post fuse within australia?