• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#561 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Lozzard, just fill one of these out and file it with the interweb gods. We've all faced the Lloyd of the Rings at one time or another! 

Attached File  butthurt form.jpg   75.84KB   0 downloads 

:lol:

Edited by OldMarine, 06 December 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• Lozzard likes this
Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#562 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

I haven't even SEEN you yet, Patrick, but I'm gonna get you! Just you wait!  :ph34r:

<grin>

Lloyd

• OldMarine and Lozzard like this

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#563 Oldsalt

Oldsalt

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Hi blokes. New here. Kind of new to pyro as well except for model rockets as a kid and a career of being an end user.
Currently spending a bunch of time in a lab in the UK making fun stuff.
Can see myself wanting to continue when I get home.
So, clearly theoretical question, what’s hard to get back home/hard to make, and easy to get here?
It looks like quickmatch and fuse?
I feel like flags are going to be quickly raised ordering certain forms of metals and chemicals back home?
Here you just go to Amazon and it tells you what ingredients to buy with what ingredients!

#564 AustralianPyromaniac

AustralianPyromaniac

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:OTC Pyro, Chess & Math

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hey mate, it is a little restrictive back here in Aus but we make do. There are sources of most chems and QM can be made without any issue. Maybe the only thing thats not so easily had here is visco. However, for the love of all that is good don't bring anything back with you in your bag. Not only may you get caught but it's downright dangerous.

You can get visco shipped over which is what I do and everything else well get sorted out with a few connections when you get back. Personally, I do all my pyro OTC. Well, when I get the time. So busy these days. Anyway, nice to see another Australian.

Regards, AP
  • Oldsalt likes this
"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants"

- Isaac Newton

#565 jessoman

jessoman

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

Anyone up far north QLD?

#566 Oldsalt

Oldsalt

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:24 AM

Cheers AP. No, nothing coming back on me. Or in plane.
I don’t see difference in danger between shipping back and shipping direct from company though?

I’m interested to see there’s a community, will look up when I get home.
I’ll likely be ACT based.

#567 AustralianPyromaniac

AustralianPyromaniac

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:OTC Pyro, Chess & Math

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

Jessoman, you haven't posted here in years and now just pop by in such an off-hand fashion! I have heard a lot about you but never talked to you myself. Are you getting back into pyro or just dropping in? I'm in Brisbane, so closer than many, but still quite a fair away.

OldSalt, I do agree, shipping companies will be no safer but then it's not your life at risk. Even with such a small risk.

The Australian community is of a decent size, I don't post on the APC much for lack of time but if you need any help getting started PM or this chat will get most Australians attention. I monitor this one so as always to offer help to Australians who need it.

Regards, AP
  • Oldsalt likes this
"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants"

- Isaac Newton

#568 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

What you need to learn is what industries will legitimately supply the ingredients that you want. Then you have to develop contacts that enable you to have access to small amounts, no-one does hobby pyro by the ton! Almost everything in pyro has a legitimate use for something else, or is a waste product that you can obtain easily.

Unless you are in China's fireworks towns then pyro is a very minor industry in any country so takes what it can from wherever it can  and can't afford to be too picky. Some older formulations have gone out of use because the ingredients ceased to be available easily or safely -especially with toxic things like mercury, and suspect carcinogens. Some of the old iron flake materials simply ceased to exist when old factories stopped using particular production methods from which the flake was a waste material. 

Magnesium and aluminium come as anti corrosion anodes for boats and with a small foundry then cracked automotive alloy rims will contribute to making magnalium. 

Usually the "nicer" the town the fewer suppliers of useful chems or scrap exist. 

• Oldsalt likes this

#569 Oldsalt

Oldsalt

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

What you need to learn is what industries will legitimately supply the ingredients that you want. Then you have to develop contacts that enable you to have access to small amounts, no-one does hobby pyro by the ton! Almost everything in pyro has a legitimate use for something else, or is a waste product that you can obtain easily.

Unless you are in China's fireworks towns then pyro is a very minor industry in any country so takes what it can from wherever it can  and can't afford to be too picky. Some older formulations have gone out of use because the ingredients ceased to be available easily or safely -especially with toxic things like mercury, and suspect carcinogens. Some of the old iron flake materials simply ceased to exist when old factories stopped using particular production methods from which the flake was a waste material. 

Magnesium and aluminium come as anti corrosion anodes for boats and with a small foundry then cracked automotive alloy rims will contribute to making magnalium. 
Usually the "nicer" the town the fewer suppliers of useful chems or scrap exist.

Cheers Arthur. Having a well stocked lab does feel like a luxury. Ill see what it looks like when I get home.

Edited by Oldsalt, 07 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users