APC Forum

Laser power

Arthur

The sad thing is that photonics is supposed to be my current focus in school (maybe I'll change it to Mat Sci) yet I have never done any laser projects. I bought a broken DVD burner off of ebay, but gave up when the post office "lost" the package.

I also work at a photonics based company, but due to an interesting yet troublesome "product assembly" process (a specific type of bonding, with non-fluorescent adhesives) I've been trying to help sort out for the past year almost, I haven't gotten seriously into the actual photonics yet. The folks there use femtosecond YAG lasers to micromachine glass.

One of my professors was telling us about some conference that he went to, done for medical people about lasers. The guy presenting was either responsible or partly responsible (can't remember which) for the first laser, which was basically a small cylindrical ruby with polished ends that was pumped by a flash bulb. So the guy says "Bring in the laser" as if some huge laser was about to be rolled into the room, and then when everyone is looking around, he pulls it out of hit pocket!!!