APC Forum

Best Fountain comps

joe609

HI

What comps make really good fountains? i use BP/AL at the moment which is good but im sure there are better. so what are your favaroutes?

No, don't post it there. If you do, it will be deleted. That is for tested comps, not requests for comps. You of all people should know this bubbelpower, IIRC, you got a warning or two for doing that.

I like 'fountain #3' by Tom Peregrin:

Potassium nitrate.................................50

Charcoal..........................................10

Sulphur............................................15

Iron..............................................25

Nice golden and yellow sparks and a good spread. (although i dont think thats too much to do with the formula)

although i did make a rather interesting one out of a pink star formula with charcoal and aluminium instead of the red gum, i cant remember the formula, but it was more like a bright pink lance with a fountain over the top.

I use 76/24 BP/Fe or 80/20 BP/aluminum. I use relatively slow burning BP though because I just like the look better than a fast butning high pressure fountain...it still shoots a good 8-10ft high in a 3/4" fountain which is good enough for me

For the Al mesh size it depends on what effect you want, and the size. Personally, I would use a range of meshes. Medium flitter would be good for small to moderate sized fountains. I would change at least 50% of that to coarse for larger fountains. A -50+150 granular or something similar would be nice too. A mix of flitter and atomised or something else spherish is a nice effect. The atomised shoots higher and burns longer, but the flitter stays lower and spreads out, it makes a beautiful effect.

My favorite metal is still Titanium. It crackles and splits in the air, making a very beautiful effect.

do you think micro crackling stars would work in a fountain to give a kool effect? and if so how do i make them(the stars that is)

If you can't find a good fountain mix, you won't be able to make dragon eggs (crackling microstars). You also need to start using capital letters. We try not to get on people for stuff like this, but it is an eye sore, and takes away from the credibility of the forum.

haha, when I was just starting out I would just break over all the fireworks I had and put the powder in a tube. It worked really well, especially if I added the powder from an estes rocket engine :lol:

^^^ :blink: e n v y !

I only have 250 mesh aluminium and anything i grind myself, and 250 mesh atomised does add a nice sparkle to it, but it also turns the flame white, almost like Mg burning.

And microstars do work in fountains, I had some commercial fountains that used crackling microstars. I dont know they make them that small though, i would assume with a 30 mesh screen or something.

I have used commercial dragons eggs out of crackling balls in 3/4" fountain that is BP based for propellant and as long as the nozzle is proper for the fountain then at 3/4" they wont get stuck. Anything smaller there is the chance of the dragons eggs getting clogged in the smaller nozzles. It look fucking sick though the crackling fountain.

Guest pyrokid00000
Yeah, but I had plently. 144 bottlerockets for 1.44$ A PENNY EACH! I would usually use those.

Bottle rockets would just explode (if they are the whistling type). I used to take them apart and make salutes with them when i just started pyro LOL

Yeah I buy hundreds of crackling balls and keep the cases for salutes and for small shells for small shells on rockets. So I've never bothered acually making it myself.

Any one know of any good comp with Ba(NO3)2 or Sr(NO3)2 for colored fountains? maybe hot enogh to use Al shreds for sparks?

The best would be colored sparks, but as far as I know only micro stars can give me this effect (If I want sparks other than white/silver/gold).

So I'm looking for a mix who would give me colored flame who is hot enogh to make Al shreds into sparks. I'm guessin that this sparks can maybe reflact the fountain color and look like it too, but this is already another discussion.

I've been theorising about colored sparks, but nothing has been tested yet. Any way, I would say take a red or green metal star, add about 10 or 15% extra fuel in the form of charcoal, or metal you want for the sparks. This may do it.

As far as colored sparks. Aluminum foil occasionally burns blue in fountains. I don't know why, but it does. There are mostly white sparks with a few blue thrown in. Might be the wax coating, or some reaction with sulfur.

Hi

i don't know if this is what you wanted but i found this blue fountain comp on the internet.

Blue fountain

Source: rec.pyrotechnics, posted by EFFECTS <effects@aol.com

Comments:

Preparation: Granulate the mixture with a small amount of alcohol. Let dry and press into tubes. Very slowly burning mixture. Don’t substitute shellac with red gum.

Ammonium perchlorate..............................7

Stearin...........................................2

Copper(II)oxide...................................1

Shellac...........................................0.5

i hope this helps.

Well thanks, but I'm looking for a little OTC(?) comp, ammonium perchlorate is expensive as gold around here.

I need something more like Ba(NO3)2/Sr(NO3)2 os main oxidizer and color agent and Mg or Al as fuel (no MgAl too).

I think I'll try some rich oxidizer colored star comps as a "base" for a fountain, and some Al shreds for sparks.