• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 brok3n

brok3n

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

I have found a few synths for Trichloroacetic Acid - will try them when I have the right chemicals.

Also, "PVC Cement" is found in the hardware for sticking PVC pipes together. Is this the glue you were talking about? It's MSDS says that it contains around 70% mixed solvents (THF/MEK) and 30% PVC resin.

This got me thinking - if this is used to "glue" PVC together, then surely MEK dissolves the fillers and other junk which is used with conjunction with PVC in the pipe? The MEK would disolve the pipe gunk and the THF would dissolve the PVC. Maybe you could extract the PVC from pipe via a hot bath with MEK?

#22 tentacles

tentacles

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

If you're dead set on using PVC glue, just thin it out with more MEK and use it as a liquid binder. Otherwise get your hands on some PVC, Saran or Parlon resin, it's not that hard to find PVC certainly.

Have you considered how much large quantities of solvents would cost? Not to mention the scrutiny picking up 5 or 10 gallons of MEK would bring you. You could easily spend days and hundreds of dollars to find out that you cannot, in fact, extract clean virgin PVC from piping in the comfort of your own home. Do some research, find a company that makes PVC pipe or slabs near you, drive by there place and see if you can't just walk up to where they unload the hopper cars, and scoop some off the damn ground.

#23 Miech

Miech

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:19 AM

Did someone ever tried to use dechlorane as chlorine donor? It seems to be a superior chlorine donor with 12 chlorine atoms per molecule, but since it is banned in the 1970's it will be hard to find. It was originally synthesized to be used as a fire retardant, but I dont think 5% of a composition total weight will extinguish the flame if used with a strong oxidizer.

There are actually a few blue star compositions on Skylighter using it as chlorine donor, but I'm not sure what the effect would look like. I don't feel like ordering a kilo of crap for $60,-.
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/dudomaniac
Please comment, rate and subscribe.

#24 tentacles

tentacles

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have some dechlorane from firefox -I got it because it's supposed to make such a good blue. Have not tried it yet.

#25 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:10 AM

I've used it, and it does make a very nice blue. The stars I have made were organically fueled, and pretty dim though, so they can't really be used in conjunction with metal fueled stars, or bright glitters. I wouldn't say the color justifies the price for you however. It's nice yes, but Parlon makes just as good of blue stars, IMO. Parlon is also a flame retardant.

Dechlorane does have a little bit extra chlorine as compared so parlon(10%) or saran (5%). The real figure that counts is chlorine atoms by mass, not per molecule.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#26 brok3n

brok3n

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

My chemistry teacher is bringing a book which had a chlorine donor which he apparently made and used in him pyro adventures. Will update.

Also, scored a free 5kg sample from a PVC resin company :)

#27 lja

lja

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

I've always found more than about 2% dechlorane to whiten up the flame making it look washed out. If memory serves it was meant to be a low temp donor primarily used for reds in military pyrotechnics.

It's decent when used as a supplemental donor.

If you really can't find a source of powdered PVC then look for some clear PVC tubing or preferably something made from a hard piece of clear PVC plastic.
Soft PVC, like tubing, contains plastisizers that may adversely affect your comp.

#28 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Have been trying PVC glue as a binder/donor in star comps. It's basically MEK with PVC resin added.

Anyone used this before? It seems to work fairly well, and the MEK is quite volatile and evaps quickly.

Have not got quantitive amounts down, just been using enough to get a copper sulfate/chloride/perc and paraffin mix into a sticky ball.

Advice and info appreciated!

Mods..Please move this thread to the Homebrew Chlorine donor thread
I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#29 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:04 AM

Just bumping this thread

#30 MDH

MDH

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:03 AM

It depends what risk you are willing to take. Do you enjoy working with chloroform and other similar reagents?

• NeighborJ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users