APC Forum

Suggestions?

cplmac

Hmmm.... I'll give it a look-see.

I didn't think there was anything there that would trigger parental controls, but I'll make sure.

EDIT: Yes, there were a few vulgarities. I cleaned them out and masked a few questionable ones. Please check to see that you can now read the rules, and reply here.

Thank you.

Edited by TheSidewinder

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSidewinder

• Mumbles

• cplmac

• ST1DinOH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have a suggestion...

in some of the other forums i am on there is the ability to "multi quote"

what that means is you are able to click the little box on each post that says "quote" (or sopmetimes it's just a little " icon) and the clickable quote button will be highlighted.

after selecting all the posts you want to quote (and the order you want to quote them in), then when you click "reply" all the quotes pop up in quoted brackets and allow you to respond to multiple comments at once.

the way the forum is currently setup the only way to do this is to quote one person, type test, click "preview", copy paste the quoted text, then go back to quote the next person, and paste in the copied text above it.

it becomes real laborious when you are trying to respond to more than one person.

the advent of this feature will also cut way down on the multiple posts where members sometimes double, tripple, ect post just to reply to everyone.

so for example...if 6 people ask me 6 different questions, i can just click the multi-quote button on each one, click reply, and i'll be able to reply to all 6 questions in one post.

i use this feature a lot on the forums that have implimented it. it makes posting easier, and realy cleans up the multipostings.

helps keep things looking cleaner.

hope this helps.

That abillity will be in the next upgrade, when the forum is switched to the new IP Board. For now, you'll have to just live with it. ;)

That abillity will be in the next upgrade, when the forum is switched to the new IP Board. For now, you'll have to just live with it. ;)

sweet

it's a nice addition to have.

if it takes weeks of writing script or code to make that happen, or if it cost money, then it's not a big deal...i can live with it the way it is.

i was hoping it was something you could have just turned on for free with a mouse click.

In the new version, I think multi-quote capability *IS* just a couple mouse clicks. But it would take considerable, if not impossible, rewriting for this version. (Note copyright date and version at bottom of screen? The new version is 2.3.4)

In the new version, I think multi-quote capability *IS* just a couple mouse clicks. But it would take considerable, if not impossible, rewriting for this version. (Note copyright date and version at bottom of screen? The new version is 2.3.4)

holy crap

this version is old.

damn, this board looks great considering the age of it.

Yes, it does look great!!

And that's something I (and, I think, Mumbles) would be very hesitant to change in the upgrade, without considerable discussion beforehand. Nothing succeeds like success, after all, and this "look and feel" has helped, at least in a small way, to define APC and its success.

Unfortunately, preserving a skin this old is almost as hard as creating the same look from scratch. I've seen some that were similar, but not what I'd call "close".

Oh, I haven't forgotten the other suggestions above.

Video embedding is possible. I have to check many things yet, but I know certain video types can be done.

I agree, some things are much easier to explain via a video or series of pictures than in words alone. I have nothing against it, but then again have no video camera with which to provide said things. There are a lot of things that would be easier with a video camera. It is very hard to describe some of the intricacies with canister shell manufacture, or exactly how wet to get a batch of cut stars.

No idea how to do the rule popup thing. That kind of coding is well beyond me.

Yes, with an upgrade, one would be able to get the multi-posting. I don't want to ruin the atmosphere of the forum itself, or worse yet, lose the content. It's still reasonably functional. Doesn't have all the new shiny features of the new one, but still serves the purpose. Sidewinder and I have been looking into an upgrade at some point.

stoned: Personally, I'd rather not reread peoples posts in quotes - just respond like I am doing now. I can't stand it when people quote someone else's long response to add a one like reply, it's stupid and clutters up the thread. I know you can edit quotes to the pertinent part(s) - an appropriate use of the function!

Multi-quote is just asking for ridiculousness.

@ Nick

Redirecting a login to the rules page, based on Warning Rank (or a large number of other system variables actually) should be fairly easy to do in the new version. And if I can't figure it out, the official Support Forums at IPS are stuffed full of code geeks, most of whom will happily flood you with relevant code snippets, if you just ask. ;)

What it would take on v1.3.1 here, I would have to research. It's possible that it's the exact same edit in BOTH versions. Many of the system variables have been there since day one (and haven't changed a bit) and much of the core logic stayed the same.

@ tentacles

Overuse of quoting will piss off the Admins as much as you, so don't worry, it won't happen more than once or twice per user. ;)

That said, multi-quote is definitely a good feature to have. Properly used, it makes for a cleaner thread and fewer misunderstandings.

• 1 month later...
I got a suggestion which may of be raised or I am just totally blind and it's already in use. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have a Stickyed Thread which has links to general pyrotechnic websites? I think this would be a good idea. Reply some of your views to this suggestion.

Hmmm.... that's something to consider. Thank you for the contribution.

I'll let Mumbles take the lead on this one, since he's been here in an Administrative capacity far longer than I have. It may have been tried in the past and proved problematic, I just don't know.

Al may have some insights to that end, as well, although since he runs an actual Pyrotechnics business (which is likely in Overdrive for the 4th of July sales period) he may be scarce as hen's teeth until August.

Just a note to our HE Qualified members: For some reason your group wasn't added to the permissions for The Agora when it was created.

You have access now. If anyone can't access it, send a PM to an Admin.

Thank you.

Just a small suggestion that might have already passed. It would be really helpfull if the suppliers review section could have a european section. Most of us don't use many US suppliers and this could really improve the section for the eoropean members.

Might be a good idea... :unsure:

It's a good idea, because someone that's looking for a supplier has to sift through 4 pages, look into each topic, and that takes time, I have allready done it...

Hmmm... we'll have to discuss that. Adding new forums to a category is something we'd rather not do right now with an upgrade on the horizon.

In the meantime, perhaps we can amend the guidelines to require that the FIRST two characters of all new posts contain the country code of the Supplier. US, UK, AU, etc. I'll check with Mumbles, Editing the existing posts is fairly easy to do, as 4 pages isn't really that much.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 year later...

This reply system sucks ass! Seems like every time I have to eat, take a dump, make (or answer) a few calls, or get distracted for more than ten minutes when I'm writing a reply, my post gets tossed into the "couldn't do it" bin. These are frequently lengthy replies, and the page I wind up at gives me no information on how to get it where I want it, only how to save it.

For WHO? myself? Doesn't seem too communicative. Here I am, for the umpteenth time, stuck with a text that could genuinely help someone, and with no way to get it there. If I missed something, please let me know. Between writing professionally for a trade publication and taking on consulting jobs, I don't have time to write this shit twice. I even tried that a couple of times, with the same treatment.

What's the use of trying to participate if my replies just get bounced off?

Well, I have no such problems, and the Admin group isn't granted any additional powers to stay logged in longer than anyone else, so I'm not quite sure what to say. The inactivity timeout is set for 2 *hours*.

Are any other members experiencing the same thing as reported above??

When i first joined, i had the same trouble, But now(not sure whats diffrent) It seems to work fine for me now though. I think its just a Hiccup in the Systome

Yep , been happening to me too. Extremely frustrating especially when you try to write a long meaningful post, happened with my blog too...

SW it be nice if it can be fixed or some add on that can suppress it.

I suspect it is just taking a little bit for the cookies to take into effect. I've never had that issue here, but I did in the past at UKPS. I've made a habit of highlighting and copying all my posts before I try to submit. I occasionally have issues where my palm glances the touchpad on the laptop and moves the cursor, where the backspace key will go to the last page. Usually I can go back to the posting page and my post is maintained, but not always.

Huh... puzzling. Well, I'll have a look at the system settings.

I do know they were set for high security by default when we upgraded and, since I never had an issue, I never needed to adjust them.

But, since we seem to have eliminated the influx of spammers, I can relax them.

Once anyone who has/had this problem reads this post, please do this:

Read all your new posts, then logout, then click the "Delete My Cookies" link at the bottom of the main page, then log back in. You *MAY* notice what appears to be a bunch of new posts. They aren't. Just click "Mark Board As Read" on the bottom of the main page (next to the "Delete My Cookies"), and logout as normal. The next time you visit, you *should* see only new posts, and also shouldn't have any timeout issues.

But post back in here if you still do.