APC Forum

Suggestions?

cplmac

I'd like to make this forum the best it can be. So I'd like to hear some suggestions from members about anything they might want to see. I could have sworn there was another thread about this, but I don't have the time to search for it right now. If I find it later, I'll merge everything together. It really should be in this section anyway.

This was made in response to cpl's query in the FAQ thread, which I will respond to momentarily.

-Mumbles

------------------------------

Can we get a trader section? It might be a good resource for some who have extra of something and are light on something else. I don't know the legal or liability issues involved, so I understand if it's not feasible, just wondering.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSidewinder

• Mumbles

• cplmac

• ST1DinOH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've talked before at great length about a trading section. I'll bring it up again with TheSidewinder, and see what he has to say.

Heya mac.

Mumbles and I are discussing it in the staff section. I think it's a good idea, but we have to set it up carefully. I suspect it will be a "go" very soon.

Stay tuned for developments!

I think it would be nice, but there are quite a few people on this board that I would trust about as far as I can throw them. And I'm not particularly strong. Though you all no-doubt have this in mind. You could do it as a section thats un-accessible to everyone that hasn't been specifically approved.

That would be my biggest concern. My suggestion would be to set up a trading section and don't tell anyone about it, then send out private invitations. I know you and the Sidewinder have a pretty good handle on who is who in here. I'll keep my ear to the ground on this.

For what it's worth, I think that the risk might outweigh the reward. I'm specifically concerned about violating shipping and perhaps age restrictions. My fear is that if an uninformed or overzealous person were to ship something, perhaps inadvertently, in violation of restrictions it might draw undue attention to the Forum and by extension the members specifically. That's kind of paranoid, but that's kind of me. It's too bad that that's the world we live in, but it's a concern none the less. Perhaps we could set up an informal network run through PM's, I'm thinking somethong along the lines of a post like, "Gee, I just got a great deal on a drum of XXXX and I couldn't pass it up; I don't know how the heck I can ever use all of it....."

I posted this in the admin section, but I suppose it's safe for everyone to read. I am well aware and concerned about the same things that a few people here are.

"

Obviously, I want to make sure that we as a board are safe from legal action, and that the members would be as well. I'd leave the terms and final conditions up to the seller, but advise against selling to minors or people they do not feel comfortable with. I'd probably also post a link/pdf of USPS pub52 which is the publication relating to hazardous chemical shipping and regulations.

I suppose we could always start out a trial system with non-chemical sales only. Well, I suppose we could expand to say non-hazardous chemicals. If it has to be specially labled/prepared to ship, I'd say no. At least that way people could get boric acid, clay, some binders, chlorine donors(most of them at least).

I would have three absolutly essential requirements.

1. Everything take place by private message/e-mail. I would likely set it up so that members could only read and start new topics, but not respond. I think I can do this.

2. Guests, and the members with zero posts cannot see it.

3. All threads to be started would have to be approved by one of us. This is pretty easy to set up if I remember right.

"

sounds good as i share some of the concerns as hst but there are still plenty of non-hazardous things to sell like clay binders and also tools such as shell casings mortars mortar racks star plates star and comet pumps rocket tooling and books and if after a long trial period it appears successful maybe move up to more strictly regulated chemicals.

Sounds good. I can't remember if thread starters can delete their own threads, I'm pretty sure they can. Which would be a useful way to stop getting PMs when something is sold/traded out.

I'm confused, cpl doesn't have a post in the FAQ, was it deleted, or moved? where did the first post in this thread come from?

Anyway, I think this is a great idea, along with Mumbles plan perhaps do it the same way as the Explosives section, where only approved members could post/look.

cplmac asked about a trading section in the FAQ thread. Mumbles created its own thread, this one. We want to keep the FAQ thread on-topic so it was edited.

I'm actually glad to see people raising concerns about legalities, liabilities, and especially safety. These things, and more, are being considered.

Keep the suggestions coming.

I made this new thread, and merged the post from the FAQ thread. Because cpl's post was before mine chronologically, it was placed first in this thread, so I had to edit in my coments. I just thought it would make more sense with what I was talking about if I had his post here as well.

• 3 weeks later...
I was thinking about an addition of a help section to "My Assistant" or My Controls. And in it have how to create a post or where to go to use the boards. My example right now is I see people adding more than one pic like in a tutorial. When I enter a pic I can only replace it with another and not have a second pic. I know it can be done 'cause I see it! But somehow I'm still out of the loop.

To add more then one pic don't use the attachment at the bottom use the button at the top of the posting area labeled "IMG" enter the url of the desired image such as one from a photobucket or imageshack account.

Good question, and good answer!

This is a candidate for the FAQ.

I'll add a note in the Staff section and, once he recovers from his party weekend (:D), Mumbles and I can finalize the draft.

M

EDIT: Should have said this before. My "Attach" button

problem was solved when Mumbles put me in a new group.

I cleaned up the thread a bit, too. Deleted some replies

that were no longer relevant.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

Please continue to post your suggestions and comments!

TheSidewinder

Edited by TheSidewinder

• 4 weeks later...
it would be good idea video tutorials from first to the last step guide,so newbie can easy understand..

I agree, good videos would help. Bandwidth becomes an issue there, though.

A properly-written tutorial, with pictures taken of the critical steps, is almost as good and takes up a lot less space. (Though space really isn't an issue for us at the moment.)

An expansion of the Tutorial section is something that's on the list of "things to do", but won't be a reality for some time at least.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...

Sidewinder: What about Youtube tutorials?

If you dont want over people seeing it, make them request premision before they can view it.

Mumbles, could you make the rules come up every time people with a "1 block" rating, log in. This is because their are so many people who disobey rule #10

Maybe, if this was done, their wouldnt be so many "bomb" threads.

it would be good idea video tutorials from first to the last step guide,so newbie can easy understand..

I think the Video Tutorials is a good idea but..

If you give them a very simple step by step instruction video they will, yeah they will do it alright. But I find "spoon feeding" information is not the best way to learn. Tutorials is a good thing. But only for things such as "making shell cases" etc.

If you spoon feed someone if a complication occurred most likely they just followed the Tutorial and does not understand how everything works, then it may become dangerous.

Video Tutorials should only be used for Making casings and other stuff like that. It should not include much making compositions. If it however does include making the composition it should just be over viewed quickly and if people wish to learn this they will have to read the written guides and learn the chemistry behind it and how the end product is caused.

Video Tutorials could be good for people which know what they are doing. You will get an occasional idiot which may see a guide to making a good lift and they just follow the Tutorial and really they have no clue what they are doing they are just following a video and something goes wrong. He does not know what to do. And he gets injured.

It's just my 2 cents really. Some of you may not agree. But you don't want under educated people which come here to learn pyrotechnics from Step by Step Videos because it's an easy source rather than learning Safety and what each chemical does and reading numerous guides before attempting things.

Can mumbles or sidewinder plz check the rules, and remove any vulgarities/phrases that could sound wrong plz? Due to my fathers extensive parental web-restriction software, I can't view the page, somewhere on the page there is a "Weighted phrase". I really would like to read the rules, but can't -_-