APC Forum

Concentratin by distilation

Arthur

Is it reasonable, possible, viable to get 98% H2SO4 from commercial battery acid? I can get battery acid locally but not 98%!

How would I check completion?

Concentrating battery acid is a trivial procedure that is well documented. Your not distilling it since your not collecting the water. You are merely boiling water out of it since the boiling points differ so significantly. Its pretty dangerous, how dangerous you should be able to judge yourself.

http://www.frogfot.com/

There is a useful table of densities/concentrations of H2SO4 somewhere on this site.

... but the easy answer is find "Rooto" its buffer free and 93% H2SO4 that will work for most reactions calling for H2SO4 you just gotta adjust the amount. Or you could boil concentrate it a bit.

... but really... google man.

I don't think they have rooto in the UK. Additionally, it is not pure enough for all applications.

Anyway, yes the proceedure to concentrate the acid is well documented in a variety of places. The most common way to tell when it is done is the formation of a thick white vapor known as acid mist. It is pretty choking, so avoid breathing it at all.

Thanks! Rooto is not available in the UK :( and the easiest supply of H2SO4 is 33% as battery acid.

It's now 30 years since I did real lab chem, I've spent those years doing the very specific chem of the engineering industry (oils, plating and metal analysis) and photo industry (B&W and colour reversal)

Some of the chem I havent used for years is rusty!

I noticed in the hardware store they had 'moflo' drain cleaner, depending on the MSDS you read its either 90% or 93% and is described as a 'Black viscous liquid'

Didn't bother reading the price tag, any ideas how to remove the black shit in it?

There is a industrial cleaning supply place not far away that sells to the public but they only sell stuff in drums (25l) and I don't have the cash for a drum of conc sulphuric or a drum of 50% peroxide so I have to settle for lesser amounts.

A serious sortie to the local big hardware trade stores reading all the labels reveals that our strong drain cleanse is iso-propyl alcohol and enzymes. NBG for anything!