APC Forum

Video Editing

cplmac

So, I've finally decided to do some tutorial videos, but I can't for the life of me figure out this video editing business. My camera takes video in MP4 format, but I would like to have these videos in .avi format so they are useful to more people. I can convert the videos to .avi without any trouble, but editing the videos has proven to be well beyond my capacity. I have about 10 videos that I need to cut and splice together for the first project but none of the freeware programs I've tried are cooperating with me. Anyone have any suggestions? So far I've tried,

Solveig multimedia trimmer

Bobyte AVI Split and AVI Tricks

These programs are NOT cooperating with me, and I'm just not sure which programs to go to from here but I know I'm getting tired of finding out which ones NOT to use the hard way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With my video camera capture, I just used the built-in Windows Movie Maker editor. Not fancy, but it was fairly easy to fgiure out and gave a good enough result. Have you tried it?

M

cplmac,

Yes you can, but it's not very intuitive on just HOW to do it. I figured it out as I went along and it worked. IIRC, when you capture it, select the option that forces Movie Maker to create "clips" ( I think that's the term they used), then you can stitch those clips together. That's simplified, but basically how I did it.

M

cplmac, if you're a Mac guy I can help. iMovie is really easy; hey, it's Mac so of course it's easy. If you're a slave to the Bill Gates monopoly I have no clue.

Excellent guys thanks for the help. I'm a Bill Gates Zombie, and I'll be giving it a go this weekend so expect to see some questions pop up in here on Saturday. Again thanks for the tip!

cplmac, if you're a Mac guy I can help.  iMovie is really easy; hey, it's Mac so of course it's easy.  If you're a slave to the Bill Gates monopoly I have no clue.

As opposed to a slave to the Steve Jobs monopoly, hst? (sorry couldn't resist :D )

Back to topic...I used to use the Windows Movie maker in WinXP, too. Very easy to edit, splice and add titles to. It has pretty decent flexibility to specify the compression of the output, too. I recently acquired a copy of Adobe Premier 2.0 and have been playing with that. I'd be happy to help with any specifics, if I can.

I think the best use of video editing is to cut out the mad, camera-jouncing, scramble back to a reasonably safe filming position after the fuse is lit, otherwise know as the calm, sedate "retire" in "light and retire" :lol: :lol: :lol:

"light and retire" = "L.F., R.L.H." (light fuse, run like hell).

A buddy of mine has me pretty well figured out. If he sees a loooong fuse, he takes that as a his cue as to how far he should be away. "Hey, what are you doing way back there.....behind my truck....with your hands over your ears? ......Leave room for me, will ya?"

• 1 month later...

I've used Adobe Premiere 6.5 for years and love it. It took some learning but it gets easy after awhile and it integrates Photoshop so beautifully.

I recently upgraded to Pro 2.0 but it runs rather slow on my old computer. I had a go at After Effects, which was like reading Greek.

I had a go at After Effects, which was like reading Greek.

reading greek :lol: aww it isnt that bad. I am trying to learn macromedia flash. hmm

• 3 months later...

Hate to bump an old thread but thought it would be better than making a new one.

What do you guys use to edit video with? What cameras do you use?

I have a Panasonic GS300 and Sony VX2100(my dream camera). Both are 3CCD so they have excellant quality. I also installed a firewire card in my PC which also really adds to the quality.

I edit with Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop.