APC Forum

FAQ

Mumbles

Cheers for the faq i am a complete novice to pyros and looking to start learning it as a hobby so hopefully this forum will help with projects for the complete beginner

This thing has a red band at top saying I need to read the FAQ to activate my account, I did read the FAQ but it will still not allow me to view attachments, I get a permission denied error.

There something I am not doing right?

• 2 weeks later...
This was your first post, which promoted you to a Full Member. You should be seeing everything now, but please let us know if you still don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably should have a thread linked in the FAQ for new members to go to to post. Maybe a 'say hi' thread so that people don't have to clutter the FAQ thread to say hi.

Jus my 2 cents.

Very interesting website you have here. Back in the '80's, I got to know a guy, from a local computer bulletin board, (before the internet), who was really into pyrotechnics, and chemistry in general. Doc, (his nickname), and I began making flash cotton, and selling it to a local magic shop, and by mail order. Dr. Egnarts, (strange spelled backwards), Atomic Cotton, is what we called it. I was totally ignorant, as far as making the stuff. My job was marketing, and I sold all we made.

It was a bit disconcerting, making gun cotton in Docs' garage, as he didn't seem to be real big on safety. We mixed up the sulfuric and nitric acids in a large Pyrex baking dish, and soaked rolls of medical grade cotton in the mixture. No hood, no safety glasses, (I think he may have used an ice bath, though). He had some heavy duty rubber gloves, and I seem to remember a fan to dissipate the fumes. The last batch we made, he wanted to speed up the drying process using his microwave oven, which I was a bit apprehensive about. I quit making the stuff after that, but since then, I've always been fascinated with pyrotechnics. I've not yet actually taken up the hobby, but I'm considering it. I'm at the education stage at present, and this looks like a great place to learn. I do understand the importance of safety. I was a custom woodworker for 10 years and know there are some mistakes you don't want to even make once. Safety is the most important aspect of this, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for a great looking site, and a place to start learning.

Edited by Phea1Mike

Thallone: Good idea, I added a link in the FAQ, to the introductions topic. And welcome to the forums!

Phea1Mike: Thank you. Nice bit of history you have there yourself. And welcome aboard, too!

Hello everybody!! I'm glad I found this site! I have been involved in display fireworks for years, but my real passion is building!! Please be patient with me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I can't open any photos/attachments in posts, and my account seems to be pretty limited. I am using IE, and my account does say "Member". What could the problem be? Please check it out.

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems to be that I needed to make 1 post. Anyway, problem is gone now.

Edited by enanthate

Found this forum looking for "Top Shot" style Binary Impact Sensative Explosives target making. Safety is really high on my list as I want to be around to share fun times with the kids. Looks like a collection of intelligent safety consious individualshere, glad I found you.

Hope I can contribute as well as enjoy the posts.

Mumbles Your Location listing is great.

Making my first post here. Seen good info so far and I am.... Well let's just call it a seasoned amateur. Looking forward to talking to a knowledgeable group to try and find some improvements and tricks to have better shows.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, the rules are straight forward, logical, and consistent with every other forum on the internet...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am eager to be a part of the community. I am a licensed 07/02 Manufacturer of destructive devices. I will have approval for my FEL within a few weeks

Jason

• 7 months later...

Howdy from Austin, TX

I have been "messing with" amateur pyro since the late 50's early 60's.

In someways I've been extremely lucky, as in I still have all my fingers etc.

Was a chem major until I crossed over to the dark side and became a computer nerd.

Stumbled across this forum quite by accident and will be reading a WHOLE BUNCH and posting very little.

I'm not sure that I have that much in the way of knowledge to contribute but if I find something, then I will.

I go by WolfBrother.

Short version - The dog (Wolf) a friend of mine had greeted me like a long lost brother the first time we met. By the time the backyard cookout was done, I had gone from Wolfs Brother to WolfBrother.

• 6 months later...

I am a new member & I can not view Gallery or pictures. I get a message "You have reached your bandwidth limit and can not view this image gallery or pictures".

I can not find an answer in FAQ's............

I had the same trouble trying to download labels - hopefully after this "First post" it'll all be well.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I've finally registered! Couldn't hold back any longer. First post.

So far I've spent hours on APC over the last few months and gained a lot of knowledge from what I've read and plan to soak up all I can from you veterans of this fine art. I do a lot of research online and often come to APC to verify.

Primarily my passion is solid state rockets, and hope to gain some good information on this topic, maybe even bring some new ideas for the greater minds out there to cultivate on.

Thanks guys. -E-

• 1 month later...

Unable to Post.

I found this article interesting. I have just signed up and wondered why I could not post. All these darn spam bots are a real pain. They cripple sites and then Google penalises you even further for this.

As I am new, I am looking to read to posting for other members.

Welcome to the forums, everyone!

Aerialpyro.... after making your first reply to an existing Topic, you should be able to start a new Topic now, but please let us know if you still can't.

• 6 months later...
Can someone help me with getting a profile photo uploaded. I have an I- pad, and the photo is in my photo gallery. When asked for a URL add., I'm not understanding what exactly to do. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

submitting my obligatory 1st post in order to start a new thread

hopefully this is not seen as a negative post

http://www.wirthco.com/images/products/30600_LR_InUse.jpg

Edited by jakespeed

posting my obligatory 1st post in order to start a new thread

hopefully this is not seen as a negative post

http://www.wirthco.com/images/products/30600_LR_InUse.jpg

Positively energizing!

Positively energizing!

Oh that is just offensive. Stereotyping like that? Pulease!

Oh, yes. Welcome Jake. There IS a "hello and welcome" thread, but i guess this works as well.

B!

Edited by MrB

• 7 months later...

What is the minimum age? I do realize asking this may lead to several... undesirable consequences, but I want to know if the forum has one. I have read the rules, and didn't see it anywhere.