APC Forum

Question?

Nuetral

'Find a chemical for a use; not a use for a chemical.'-some intelligent being.

MgO is fairly useless, however, zinc powder is useful. Useful is relitive, and it assumes you have other stuff to use with it.

I suggest you look around and learn a bit, check the rules, and most of all; read. Read until you turn blue, or whatever colour one turns when they read too much.

i was just wanting to know since i have some and i was just wondering if there is any use to it besides making a little persure bomb.

and i guess il have to get my hands on some permangante to make some flash powder

i guess il have to get my hands on some permangante to make some flash powder

Absolutely not! Permanganate has no place in pyrotechnics, especially for someone who doesn't have experience with it or any flash powders for that matter. You can use your Zink to make very nice aqua stars or smoke, but using Potassium Permanganate is very likely to get you hurt. Look at the compositions section for more info on the stars.

I agree with chris. Zinc has much better uses in pyrotechnics and if you just look around you will find plenty of compositions using it. If you don't know that KMnO4 is a very strong oxidiser and that it is dangerous, you shouldn't be messing around with flash powder. All flash comps. are senitive but some are less sensitive than others and "KMnO4 flash comps. are considered quite sensitive".

I'm sorry but have anyone attually every heard of any storys of permanganate being highly sneistive because i have been using it for over a year probably three times a week and i have had a banger off next to another banger and that did not set the other oen off.which shows you that in some circumstances it is in fact not senstive.

Just to point out.

But yes i would not recommonded this to a beginner.

I used to use KMnO4 quite extensively back in the day making items varying from fountains to salutes to break for shells and even lift powder. The only problem I ever had with KMnO4 was when I accidently got a few drops of water directly onto a kmno4/zn/s mixture and it started reacting and bubbling and i quickely doused it with water. So in my opinion as long as you dont bash it with a hammer or get it wet its relatively safe however i wouldn't use it in combination with any hygroscopic (things that absorb water ) chemicals.

o well there was another incident...but that involved creation of Mn2O7 with KMnO4 and sulfuric in dirty glassware which erupted in flame and ash.

O and I can also tell you from personal experience that kmno4/mg and kmno4/al mixtures can ignite with a medium hammer wack.....although that is a very vague description of force it is important to know that it will go off if struck with a hammer....while i couldn't get a kmno4/zn mixture to ignite.

I took this from the pyro data base on cannonfuse:

Flash #9

Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Wouter Visser <wfvisser@stud.chem.ruu.nl

Comments: The use of permanganate in pyrotechnic compositions is not recommended, since it is unstable and will decompose over time. Also, like all flash mixtures, this mixture is quite sensitive and powerfull. Great care should be taken when handling this mixture.

Yes it is possible to use in fountains and it actually looks pretty nuts. I took Po's silver glitter star comp from the composition section and pressed it into a plugged tube....plugged the other end...manually drilled out the nozzle and put a little priming comp on it and a fuse. makes a very nice silver/white fountain. I talked about it on the old forum right around the fourth of july so you could search there to see a more detailed description of what i did if your interested.

true i have read that myself true its not the safest but like said before no one has attually had an incident from it apart from maybe spontanious combustion. And i do not ever store this and use it staright away so i consider it more or less safe.

Is the reason for spontaneous combustion, the moisture in the air? If so wouldn't it just be like any other flash once it's in a casing or is it actually more sensitive than other flashes. I am also curious to what it means for the KMnO4 flash to decompose.

i have never attually seen it spontaliously conbuste personally the more moisture in the are its most likly to turn dud and leave brown stains everywhere.

KMnO4 in flash will oxidize the metal powder IIRC. I spose this could lead to some substance that could spontaneously combust, but I'm not sure on this.

KMnO4 does become hypergolic when glycerin is added to it.

And what was that I heard about pressure b**bs :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nice catch, sorry bout that misspelling.

Actually it gets hypergolic....not hyperbolic.

Edit: anytime...i just wanted to say it so in case people are interested they can search and it will actually come up with info. hypergolic reactions are rather fun and entertaining. My favorite is taking like a soda cap full of kmno4 and just putting a few drops of antifreeze (ehtyl glycol) on it....quite entertaining and rather cheap.

Ethyl glycol ;) Hyperbolic reactions are fun. KMnO4 Al makes a good FP if KClO4 is absoloutely unavaliable. Better OTC FP than KNO3. It just depends on how needy you are. If you do risk it, just give it a lot of respect.