APC Forum

Tubes and Potassium perchlorate

murderskill

hello everyone i live in pa and i ordered alot of tubes and 100 feet of fuse..i was reading somewhere that it might be illegal to ship tubes and potassium perchlorate at the same address. Is this against the law to do so even tho i will be making harmless smoke bombs? Is it legal to obtain potassium perchlorate in pa and if so whats the max? thanks..OO and also i already called the firedepartment and they told me to call the tate police so i did and he pretty much told me hes not sure and his law books are out of date..so I need you guys help fast!

You dont use potassium perchlorate for smokes, you use potassium nitrate.

Edit: Oh, I forgot one or two of the more complex smokes do.

Well It is not illegal to order tubes and other chems however it does look suspicious of a salute maker which is illegal and many suppliers usually wont just ship an order of tubes fuse perc and aluminum although you should be good with just the tubes and perc and fuse as long as you dont order high mesh aluminum with it. Also you say your using the perc for smoke bombs? mind sharing your ratio cause i've never heard of a kclo4 based smoke mix.

im not ordering aluminum at all..thats outta the question..just fuse tubes and endcaps..the ratio is 60% pot. perchlorate and 40% sugar.

So you guys think ill be ok?

Edit:anything on obtaining potassium perchlorate? the max. cause i can get it cheaper if i buy more..

There are a few that use perchlorate. I know some black smokes do. There is a zinc based one too. There really in no reason for using perc in smokes though. I don't think he meant he was making the smoke with the perc, but he was with the tubes. Perchlorate is one of the most versatile chemicals, and is used in much more than just flash. The chemicals needed for perc based smokes are rather exotic anyway.

I am still on break, but I saw this topic because it was the latest replied to. I thought it was something like "Where do I get tubes and perchlorate" type of thread, so I was ready to lock it.

[edit] Guess he is planning to use perc in his smokes. Why use perc when KNO3 is so much cheaper?

The best smoke ive seen used was with perc. and price is not a issue here..I have money..i can get perc. cheaper anyways.

Care to share how? Perchlorate is 3X expensive for most of us, and to my knowledge our Australian members can't even get it.

Wouldn't the KClO4 and sugar burn way to fast to be used as smoke?

I've tried that before but it wasn't that amazing. It was more of a waste of time as my KNO3/SU/Wax smokers produce a much thicker cloud of smoke.

I've tried that before but it wasn't that amazing. It was more of a waste of time as my KNO3/SU/Wax smokers produce a much thicker cloud of smoke.

Im really not trying to buy all kinds of chemicals..I was just wondering if there was any laws against having tubes, fuse and pot. perch. sent the the same address..So that i know not to learn the hard way..And no I will not have aluminum in any of my orders..I know that is against the law..just tubes, fuse, and perch. thats it..any laws?

I don't think it is illegal to have KClO4 but it becomes illegal when you mix it with certain things to make the compositions. KClO4 and Al for example would be illegal (as you have stated).

As for the amount I'm not sure. There probably isn't a law but I wouldn't want alot of it in my garage. I don't live in PA so the laws might be a little different than where I live (IL), so I could be wrong.

I don't think it is illegal to have KClO4 but it becomes illegal when you mix it with certain things to make the compositions. KClO4 and Al for example would be illegal (as you have stated).

As for the amount I'm not sure. There probably isn't a law but I wouldn't want alot of it in my garage. I don't live in PA so the laws might be a little different than where I live (IL), so I could be wrong.

Alright, I love smoke bombs but i dont want this to be a problem with the law..im just trying to have some fun and make some harmless fireworks..since 9/11 the government has been a female dog.. <_< little by little us americans are loosing our rights AS an American..

EDIT: Should i buy the perch. or not? if so im gonna buy a lb of it right now..that should last me a while..i guess

If you only plan on making smoke mix I would just buy like 5lbs of kno3 and that would last you a while making a 60/40 mix but if you plan on making more devices get the perc as it is more versatile even if it isn't that common of a smoke mix. I personally dont buy anything less than 5lbs of perc or kno3 at a time just cause its cheaper that way. I was interested in the perc smoke ratio cause i have like 5lbs of perc left and no kno3....and havn't made a smoke bomb in ages.

With smoke, the only way you will get into trouble is if you lit one by a major road or somebody thought it was a fire and called the fire department.

Edit: if you can make smoke with the perc. then I would get that.

With smoke, the only way you will get into trouble is if you lit one by a major road or somebody thought it was a fire and called the fire department.

Edit: if you can make smoke with the perc. then I would get that.

the smokebomb itself is not a problem i was just worried about ordering perchlorate and tubes and fuse and have it sent to same address..i just dont want there to be a legal issue..the shipping is what im worried about

I lived in PA for a long time and ordered perchlorates and fuse and everything. I never had a problem nor was i questioned for my orders. PA is pretty relaxed about most things like that actually. And I have even ordered 600 mesh aluminum along with the perchlorate though it was not from the same vendor.

Also a smoke compo that uses perchlorate is:

Zinc..............................................69

Potassium perchlorate.............................19

Hexachlorobenzene.................................12

I lived in PA for a long time and ordered perchlorates and fuse and everything. I never had a problem nor was i questioned for my orders. PA is pretty relaxed about most things like that actually. And I have even ordered 600 mesh aluminum along with the perchlorate though it was not from the same vendor.

Also a smoke compo that uses perchlorate is:

Zinc..............................................69

Potassium perchlorate.............................19

Hexachlorobenzene.................................12

omg u actually ordered perch and al at the same address?!!? :blink: i wouldnt even think about doing that..esp if i ordered over 200 tubes and 100 feet of fuse..i just have fun with tubes..there are soo many uses! Well im kinda scared to have the pot. perch shipped to my po box cause this is where all of this stuff is going..just hope the post office doesnt have a problem with it..

EDIT: I also heard that pa is the easiest to get ur explosives licence..dont know if thats true but ive heard it from numerous ppl who have one..

Yeah it wasnt from the same vendor. In general people don't care about small orders. It was like 1lb of Al and 1lb of perc. You could probably even get away with having them in the same order from the same company if you had a bunch of other stuff in the order as well since it looks like you are just making a bunch of different fireworks and not just making salutes. Also it isnt entirelly illegal to make flash powder....they use the stuff for magic shows, ect and the laws usually just say you can't store it, sell it, or transport it across state lines. If you are making it for personal use and not causing trouble with it you are fine. In the middle of no where in PA no one really cares anyhow...I even have a cop for a neighbor and he doesnt seem to mind my 4th of july shows.

You dont have to be too paranoid....no body is watching what you order and the FBI isn't going to break down your door for a small order of perc.

Now though I moved to washington DC so I don't make fireworks anymore because the laws here are more strict of course no fireworks in the city.

Teknix I bet you were pissed when you first moved to the D.C. and learned that you couldn't make fireworks anymore. I know I would have been.

Murderskill just buy the KClO4 and if it is against the law (which I doubt) they will propabaly still ship it because their making money and as long as you haven't got in trouble by the law yet for setting of firecrackers you should be fine.

Teknix I bet you were pissed when you first moved to the D.C. and learned that you couldn't make fireworks anymore. I know I would have been.

Murderskill just buy the KClO4 and if it is against the law (which I doubt) they will propabaly still ship it because their making money and as long as you haven't got in trouble by the law yet for setting of firecrackers you should be fine.

i have been caught lighting off firecrackers alot.. ^_^ but the chief of police tells the other police leave us alone..so its cool..i have never gotten a citation before..but the funniest thing was when i got caught and he told me to empty my pockets he took my firecrackers went around the corner and lite them off..i was like wtf..rofl..what was the most KClO4 u got at a time teknix? cause the more i buy the cheaper it gets..oo and sorry u cant make fireworks anymore.. :(

If it's on record I wouldn't get that much KClO4. I don't know if the chemical supplier can do background checks. So I would start of with a couple of pounds and work your way up the more you need it. But seriously I wouldn't worry about it from what teknix says PA sound to be a really cool state.

If it's on record I wouldn't get that much KClO4. I don't know if the chemical supplier can do background checks. So I would start of with a couple of pounds and work your way up the more you need it. But seriously I wouldn't worry about it from what teknix says PA sound to be a really cool state.

my record is clean :D

Don't even worry about it. I've bought 110 pound of Perc, and 110 pounds of Al together, no questions asked. It probably wasn't the best idea, but it wasn't in my name, so I am fine. Like I said before, if you are just ordering perc, don't worry about it. It is an extremely useful and versatile chemical. You could buy 20 or 30 pounds, and no one would think anything of it.

One more thing, you can't have it sent to a PO box. It needs a house address. It is shipped ORM-D due to it being classified as hazardous, but not hazardous enough for any real precaution. One of the neccesities of shipping it this way is that it can't be shipped to a PO box.

Wow mumbles when you mean you have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop you really mean it.