APC Forum

Plans for nye

Chris

I though I'd ask what the forum members are up to for the comming new years eve. The new year is among the few occasions in the year when I can shoot a lot of homemade stuff without having to rely on the 'light and run' technique in fear of causing too much suspicion with the neighbours. This being the case, everything I make piles up during the year, making the new years eve a great opportunity to shoot out my stocks . I have probably tens of 3" and 4" shells, and quite a few equally sized mines. I'm also building a reloadable Z fan cake and I just finished building a reloadable V starmine cake. I'm getting really comofortable shooting my shells, since I havn't had a flowerpot since ages. I though I'd set up a small display chainfusing my mortars to give a nicer whole picture, than just shooting shell by shell.

I'll take some pictures of my stockpile along with setup, when the time approaches. In the mean time, I'd be interested to hear your plans...

Well, since this year, I don't rally have any chems, I will probably make a couple of fountains, some 1" shells w/ tigertale.And I think that's it...

I have a few things in the works.

5" 5 timed spider

5" sun and planets

6" double petal

3" color to report

various mines and shells with what I have left over. Probably 5" ball shells and 4" mines.

Nye is just as good as the 4th for me, there is somesort of gun club in my town that fires off blackpowder rifles all night long so i can make just about as much noise as i want and no one cares :D . as far as plans go i definitely want to make a remote fireing system and maybe some shells and rockets or something.

Mumbles, could you do me a favor and film that Spider shell?

-

I don't think I will be able to make anything in time, but maybe some days/weeks after...

2,5" comet

3" crossette shell

Two 4" Spider shells

I'm hoping to crew on a display, but have not got any news of one in my area yet. I need to find out which company did the huge one downtown and get in contact with them. They had alot of 8-12"s... i can only imagine watching those a whole lot closer... gives me shivers just thinking about it. :D

I'm not 100% sure on what the firework laws in this city and community are since i moved, so ill have to read up on those... probably nothing C-class allowed aside from sparklers inside city limits... yeah... almost certain of that... Not like thousands don't break that rule, but yeah.

I have a whole bunch of 2-1/4" ish ID paper launch tubes that were used to fire comets for a show a bit back that i salvaged. I want to give them all better end plugs and mount them in a fan shape and use them for small shells, comets, or starmines. I have about 25 of them lol. Then 1 or 2 fat short about 6"ID by 10" mine pots that have nice wooden plugs that i can put behind the fan... But no way i could do that here :(.

I'll probably make a few shells last minute just in case i end up going somewhere with enough open space where no one cares. I have a bunch of win20 and some TT left, so ill probably use those. And probably make a really old misc stars disposal cylindrical shell or 2... or 3...

I will sure try to get it on video. I think you want to see it just about as bad as I want to get it on video. I think it's a good chance, but the pyro gods seem to have an aversion to getting my stuff on video. At the last shoot, by two best items by far (6" brocade and 5" sun and planets) some how didn't make it on film.

Pudidotdk, your luck to have a crossette pump, man I want one.

Anyway, I have a lot of stuff going on and sorry to Deadman I can't say that 4" shell of shells anymore.

I have:

2 roman candels (1/2")

That cake of 8,1" aerial shells to comet to fountain

3 or 4" C of mystery to D1

2 TT to D1 fountains but one has a comet after

2, 4" can shells one is a shell of shells the other is a shell w/in a shell

Like 7 comets randomly TT and D1

4 or 5, 2" can shells (in the process of being made)

a few 3" can shells (in the process of being made)

maybe some 3" and 4" shells at random

a Ti sparkle (unknown comp)

And thats about it.

BTW, my mom's friend is a director for plays and he say he can get me some HDPE mortars for his workshop. Its going to be fun. I also made a parachute thing and it for the daytime, hope it works and that my aunt has a video camera.

My babies :D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Image002-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Image003-2.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Image004-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Image005.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Image006-1.jpg

Excuse the many pics but they are so beautifull :ph34r:

Thats not fair all of those are store bought fireworks. See, I thought it was to be homemade with maybe a few store bought. They still look good though, my mom may go and buy some too.

Nice collection, PGF. Godzila looks awe-inspiring, I guess those will give off good bangs. I would prefer Urok Angelov though, that sounds nice :P

I assume those few cents on the table are the rest of your monthly income after that excessive shopping tour? Perfectly understandable - New Years Eve always stretches my savings to the limit.

Have a nice NYE, I'm sure of that with that assemblage :D

Godzila should be awe inspiring, the caliber is 35mm :ph34r: which is the biggest I can buy here. :D

Those few cents are the rest of that daily shopping tour, still have a couple of € to buy some stuff B)

@Mormanman

I'll correct my mistake

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/AVP2/Novoletnishelli.jpg

(More of these to come ofcourse)

Have a loud and safe NYE everyone

LOL, thanks. It just wounldn't be a traditional pyro's NYE without homemade fireworks. :D

BTW, I made a BP and slow flash salutes.

So, it appears that my NYE plans have been twarted. My stars are not yet dry, and because of that I won't have appropriate time between now and NYE to finish any of the shells I'd like to. I have some spider inserts finished, so maybe I'll just have a blue to spider insert shell ready. Other than that, probably a few mines of leftovers.

yeah i have had my stars drying for almost 4 days now and my ruby red wont light even when i hold the lighter to it for a whole minute! i think its this damn weather but i unlike mumbles still think i can make a few aerial shells.

Oh, they've been drying for over a week now, probably closer to 10 days. Probably a combination of it being cold, and no real air flow over then. Also the spider stars are pretty close to 3/4" and contain a whole lot of charcoal and lampblack. Those are the main problem stars. Everything is cut with water. It's the only solvent I use. Well, I use gum arabic for comets and such, but thats almost the same thing.

The main problem is that I'm going out of town for a week or so starting saturday. The nature of the canister shells neccesetate 3 different shell pastings that must all occur sequentially. You have to paste in the insert shells first of all. I make canister shells a bit untraditionally in that every break is spiked and pasted as if it were standing alone. Then they are connected, spiked together, and pasted in all together.

The only stars that are dry are the 1/4" purple stars I was using for the sun and planet inserts and the interior petal of the double petal, but they still need to be primed. I might just put these shells off until easter or my birthday or something like that. They should be done in time for that.

Well, speaking of stars are you suppose to cut while wet or dry? I know its a little off topic.

I will indeed be working on 2 displays from the 29th to the 1st. Confirmed. One is on a barge, the other on a roof. Both are on the same day, the first is around 8pm and is proximity type stuff that isn't too loud for the tots. The other is at midnight as i understand it and will be the barge one. Mostly 2.5" and cakes as i understand it, however i get to work in two new areas that i have never worked in before (barge, rooftop) and get a signoff... or 2... perhaps...

So excellent learning chance coming up 10 days from now. AND networking, so more shows to crew on in the future probably.

Wet.

Very cool about the shows. Judging from the fact that it's a barge, not a sheet of ice. I'd say it's a bit warmer there.

Thanks Mumbles that what I thought but was unsure.

Bob, that sounds very cool. I would love to have the chance to go shooting off roof tops and barges in the water. Very cool.

Yup, but its Central Texas weather, so i might only need a simple hoodie temperature wise... Or it my be iced over... Never know.

I'll be at a football game around the time you'll be setting up and such. I will be wearing no less that 3-4 layers of pants and 5-6 layers of shirts and coats to give you an idea. It's not that it will be that cold, just sitting around for several hours tends get a bit chilly. I mean one can only drink so much beer before the game, and damned if I'm paying $6 a beer inside the stadium.

Pro or College game, Mumbles?

I have no plans for NYE. Stay at home and quietly await the New Year as I have for the last 35 years.

Last place I want to be is where the drunks are. Until we get some real teeth into our laws regarding DUI, I'll stay home thank you very much. :D

I may shoot off a rocket or two right at midmight, though. The neighbors usually ask me to.

M

Pro. If it were college, I would be in a t-shirt and shorts down in Florida somewhere. I got the tickets for the pro game first, otherwise I think the choice would be pretty obvious.

This year i did have some sort of display in order for nye, however im out of kno3 and ill have to wait to saturday to get more, so now im thinking i dont see it happening. :(