APC Forum

Lead Nitrate

oskarchem

Hi, I searched the forum but didn't find anything

So Lead nitrate Pb(NO3)2 is made by dissolving lead in HNO3, and then lead nitrate forms , since it is insoluble in HNO3.

I was thinking about it as a easly obtanable chemical for Stars, Fountains or eaven rockets since when it is heated it decomposes with a crackling sound.

So What do you think about it? I know it is pretty Toxic.

Oskar

Lead nitrate, as far as I know (and have experienced) is quite soluble in an HNO3 solution. Although I am assuming you are not using anhydrous HNO3 to dissolve your lead in.

If you are getting a white precipitate, it is more than likely metastannic acid, formed from a tin impurity in your lead. Metastannic acid is insoluble in a 4M or stronger HNO3 solution. I've seen it dissolve when my HNO3 was spent forming Pb(NO3)2, and when I added a splash of HNO3, it instantly dropped out.

How is it easily obtainable, compared to reacting the HNO3 with <alkali metal> carbonate, which will yield a more useful, and less dangerous product?

Making lead nitrate for use in stars is a waste of nitric acid. Its much easier to buy it or some red lead.

Not to mention how toxic it is

Additionally, it will require a large amount of Lead nitrate in relation to the fuels due to the heavy weight of the oxidiser. Ever see dragon egg comp? Typically 80-90% lead or bismuth. Given the lead metal ion, it probably wont be as reactive as the potassium or sodium salts, which may cause issues. A problem may come in mass. Using it in rockets would be even worse than ZnS, shells would become significantly heavier. I can't imagine that you can get lead and nitric acid cheaper than KNO3. The smoke being toxic it appears you already know about.

It may be worthwhile, from a novel standpoint, to experiement with blue colors. The PbClx ion makes quite a nice blue flame. It may not be enough to be the lone colorant, but will probably make it more vibrant such as AsCl3 and calomel.

• 16 years later...

I have read chemicals list from pyro chemical supplier and I have seen he has Lead nitrate in his list.

What is the use of lead nitrate in fireworks?

The reloading community is using it in addition to a few other chemicals to remanufacture primers with a co-precipitated primer compound. I've been meaning to find some to make lead dioxide anodes. Which supplier are you seeing carry it? You can PM if you'd rather not share in the thread. Thanks.

3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

The reloading community is using it in addition to a few other chemicals to remanufacture primers with a co-precipitated primer compound. I've been meaning to find some to make lead dioxide anodes. Which supplier are you seeing carry it? You can PM if you'd rather not share in the thread. Thanks.

Supplier is from my country India.

He usualy sales other raw materials like barium nitrate potassium nitrate and many other chemicals.

Lead nitrate was used to make plumbic powder #1 for pinwheels, according to Tessier, who credited Chertier for introducing it to pyrotechnics. Tenney Davis describes these on pages 94-97 of 'Chemistry of Powder and Explosives'. The plumbic powder was made with lead nitrate, potassium nitrate, and black alder charcoal. The mixture was milled and mixed with either cast iron filings or steel wool to make the mixture to fill the tubes. I always meant to try them but the farthest I ever got with lead nitrate was to use it to make the azide to produce toxic (besides the tobacco) cigarette loads.

This is grate infomation, thank you very much...!!😊